Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Opinions needed: Clutch slave cylinder operation
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
?Waldo?
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2022 4:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Opinions needed: Clutch slave cylinder operation Reply with quote

AndyBees wrote:
The amount removed should have been the same he took off the surface of the flywheel.

The amount removed from the two surfaces will be similar, but the flywheel friction surface wears, whereas the PP mounting surface does not. The two surfaces need to be machined so that their difference in height is to spec, not just the same amount removed from both. The same amount removed from both surfaces may be close enough, or it might not, depending on the amount of wear on the friction surface.
AndyBees
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2022 5:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Opinions needed: Clutch slave cylinder operation Reply with quote

Ah, looks like the machine shop did mill it....

The dowels come out easy for that purpose!

So, now, why is your clutch slipping?

Good point Waldo?

So glad you cleared that up, but I doubt the difference could ever be discerned. However, a shop not addressing both would be somewhat inept.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Wasted youth
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2022 7:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Opinions needed: Clutch slave cylinder operation Reply with quote

To clarify; the machined flywheel you see was the same one from last night, but I had it resurfaced this morning.

I do not know why I feel a slipping clutch, and I won't know how this will unfold, either.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2022 9:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Opinions needed: Clutch slave cylinder operation Reply with quote

Wasted youth wrote:
To clarify; the machined flywheel you see was the same one from last night, but I had it resurfaced this morning.

I do not know why I feel a slipping clutch, and I won't know how this will unfold, either.

A slipping clutch makes a lot of heat, I am not seeing that.
Wasted youth
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2022 9:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Opinions needed: Clutch slave cylinder operation Reply with quote

If it’s not a slipping clutch, I don’t know off hand what it could be. It does not have the pronounced traits of bad slippage, but mild slippage coming into 1st and mid range through 2nd. If I am very mindful of clutch action, I can almost always avoid it.

None really ever in 3rd or 4th. None in reverse. Engine RPM sort of fluctuates during the slippage.

No different if heavily loaded with family and luggage, or light with just me. Hills and grades does not affect.

I was later thinking fuel/demand so I changed the filter. Clean fuel came out of filter. No specs or crud. Last time I measured fuel rail pressure it was 36 with regular vacuum line disconnected and 32-33 with vacuum line attached, as I recall.

Could this be an AFM issue? Worn tracking?
AndyBees
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2022 4:46 am    Post subject: Re: Opinions needed: Clutch slave cylinder operation Reply with quote

Clutch slipping will always show-up in the top gears (3rd & 4th). I'm not saying it will not slip in the lower gears... weight and local circumstances would be a factor.

The OE diesel flywheel/clutch (freshly milled & new disc and plate) began slipping with my TDI in less than 5k miles. 4th gear was where I first noticed it. But, never in 1st & 2nd gears.

I installed a G60 Flywheel/Clutch set-up. No more slipping.
Igeo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2022 6:06 am    Post subject: Re: Opinions needed: Clutch slave cylinder operation Reply with quote

Perhaps we do need clarification. It seems like the engine and trans was out of that thing before I could even read the post...... When you apply throttle, the rpms rise but the speed doesn't is pretty much the description. Driving up a freeway grade in 4th is a common time to experience clutch slippage. You mat the gas pedal and the tach zooms up but you don't.
Wasted youth
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2022 3:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Opinions needed: Clutch slave cylinder operation Reply with quote

Does this piston travel look correct?

Link
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2022 4:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Opinions needed: Clutch slave cylinder operation Reply with quote

Wasted youth wrote:
Does this piston travel look correct?

Link

The movement of the mount seems excessive.
Wasted youth
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2022 4:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Opinions needed: Clutch slave cylinder operation Reply with quote

Holy crap. I never noticed that. Okay, I’m on it. How about the slave / lever action. Does that look right?
?Waldo?
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2022 5:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Opinions needed: Clutch slave cylinder operation Reply with quote

The movement of the mount looks normal to me. They all seem to do that. I'm not sure about the total throw of the lever. Looks about right but I might be wrong about that.
Wasted youth
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2022 7:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Opinions needed: Clutch slave cylinder operation Reply with quote

I verified the bracket for the slave cylinder. No cracks or missing/loose hardware. Short test drive went well.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: