Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Instrument light bulbs
Forum Index -> 411/412 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Pepperbilly
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2022 9:32 am    Post subject: Instrument light bulbs Reply with quote

I would lke to know how many illuminating light bulbs there are in the clock and the speedometer. Talking about the ones that light up the faces. I see maybe 2 in each? Would like to replace them without having to remove the instruments on my ‘73 wagon.

Bill
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2022 7:27 am    Post subject: Re: Instrument light bulbs Reply with quote

Hang on and I will look at an instrument to be sure but it should have two on the speedo.

Yes you CAN replace the bulbs without removing the instruments but it helps to loosen the two nuts that hold the tangs so you can rotate the instrument slightly.

Ray
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Lars S
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2022 11:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Instrument light bulbs Reply with quote

Just checked my spare instruments; yes there are only two illumination lamps in each.
For the clock, if you look at the face of it, you will find one bulb behind the 4 o'clock and one behind the 8 o'clock number.
For the speedo there is one behind the 2 o'clock position and one behind the 8 o'clock position when having a look at the face of it.

/Lars S
Suzuki T500, -69, Candy Gold, sold Sad
Suzuki K50, -77, Black, daily driver
BMW R69S -69, White, sold Sad
Husqvarna 118cc, -47, Black, Sold Sad
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2022 6:48 am    Post subject: Re: Instrument light bulbs Reply with quote

Lars S wrote:
Just checked my spare instruments; yes there are only two illumination lamps in each.
For the clock, if you look at the face of it, you will find one bulb behind the 4 o'clock and one behind the 8 o'clock number.
For the speedo there is one behind the 2 o'clock position and one behind the 8 o'clock position when having a look at the face of it.

/Lars S

Thanks Lars!

Yes, the speedo is the one that is typically harder to get at the 2 o'clock bulb.

Sure, you can wiggle up behind there but the issue gets to be the risks of pulling other wires loose. If you can turn the speedo clockwise a bit it's easier to reach the 2 o'clock bulb. Ray
Pepperbilly
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2022 9:14 am    Post subject: Re: Instrument light bulbs Reply with quote

Hey thanks guys! I am so glad there are only two in each. I think before I reinstall the front seats I am going to have a go at this. I think my speedo bulbs are both still good. It’s the clock that has no lights working. Just another tedious and challenging operation heaped upon the others I have been facing. No one said this 412 project was gonna be easy Very Happy .

Bill
Pepperbilly
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2022 10:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Instrument light bulbs Reply with quote

Just one more question. The bulb is obviously in a holder. Does the holder pull straight out or is there a twist, then pull?

Bill
Lars S
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2022 10:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Instrument light bulbs Reply with quote

Pepperbilly wrote:
Just one more question. The bulb is obviously in a holder. Does the holder pull straight out or is there a twist, then pull?

Bill

Its a twist and pull operation to get the lamp holder loose. Then you just pull the tiny bulb out of the plastic holder which is still stuck in the wiring.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

/Lars S
Suzuki T500, -69, Candy Gold, sold Sad
Suzuki K50, -77, Black, daily driver
BMW R69S -69, White, sold Sad
Husqvarna 118cc, -47, Black, Sold Sad
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> 411/412 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: