Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Toyota Tacoma - real life experience
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Off Topic Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
rcroane Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2022 5:51 pm    Post subject: Toyota Tacoma - real life experience Reply with quote

Hi folks,

My F-150 was recently totaled and I need a new (not used) truck. I need to downsize for budget reasons. I was hoping some of you out there could give me your real life experience with a Tacoma, preferably a very recent model year. I don't go off road and it wouldn't see much heavy work. Also considering the Ford Ranger, but availability is extremely limited (I want a Super Cab and there are NONE to be found to even look at).

Consumer Reports rates the Ranger a good bit higher, but I'd like some real life opinions. I drove a Tacoma SR5 today and, while not even close to my F-150, it drove like I expected it would. Will drive a Ranger (SuperCrew) tomorrow. The Ranger will stretch my budget.

On the plus side, the insurance payout on the F-150 is within a thousand bucks of what I paid for it new in 2016.

Thanks.
APPLEGREENVW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2022 6:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Toyota Tacoma - real life experience Reply with quote

I had a 2014 SR5, I traded it in for a Ridgeline. The Tacoma had a frame rust issue. Nice truck overall. If you buy new one, do what takes to keep the frame from rusting away.

02/76 Beetle sedan
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
rcroane Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2022 6:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Toyota Tacoma - real life experience Reply with quote

APPLEGREENVW wrote:
I had a 2014 SR5, I traded it in for a Ridgeline. The Tacoma had a frame rust issue. Nice truck overall. If you buy new one, do what takes to keep the frame from rusting away.

Thanks....I have a Jeep TJ, so I have first hand experience with frame rust Sad
mukluk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2022 6:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Toyota Tacoma - real life experience Reply with quote

rcroane wrote:

You could get a Gladiator... Twisted Evil

You've let your TJ get rusty have you?
rcroane Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2022 6:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Toyota Tacoma - real life experience Reply with quote

mukluk wrote:
rcroane wrote:

You could get a Gladiator... Twisted Evil

You've let your TJ get rusty have you?

As a Jeep guy, I really tried to love the Gladiator, but....

As for the rust, we can't all live in Texas. Wink
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2022 7:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Toyota Tacoma - real life experience Reply with quote

Are you looking for new or used?

GOFUNDYOURSELF, quit asking everyone to do it for you!

An air cooled VW will make you a hoarder.

Do something, anything, to your project every day, and you will eventually complete it.
rcroane Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2022 7:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Toyota Tacoma - real life experience Reply with quote

TDCTDI wrote:
Are you looking for new or used?

New
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2022 7:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Toyota Tacoma - real life experience Reply with quote

Yeah… good luck with that, the dealer lots around here are stripped bare. They’re buying used cars to try & fill the front line.

GOFUNDYOURSELF, quit asking everyone to do it for you!

An air cooled VW will make you a hoarder.

Do something, anything, to your project every day, and you will eventually complete it.
rcroane Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2022 3:33 am    Post subject: Re: Toyota Tacoma - real life experience Reply with quote

TDCTDI wrote:
Yeah… good luck with that, the dealer lots around here are stripped bare. They’re buying used cars to try & fill the front line.

There are quite a few Tacoma's available, but no Rangers. That has me a bit worried.
slayer61
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2022 7:44 am    Post subject: Re: Toyota Tacoma - real life experience Reply with quote

I have a similar story to the OP. A while back my 2013 HEMI RAM 1500 single cab, short bed was totaled. I was crushed. I loved that truck. Realizing that the price of gas wasn't going to go down any time soon, I bought a slightly used 2018 Toyota Tacoma with the 4 cylinder engine. Not a stripper truck, but not a lot of options.

We took it on a road trip from NorCal where we live, to my brother's house in Havasu city. What a mistake. The 4 cylinder is down on power where the truck has to drop a gear (or 2) to get over the hills in the desert! Add to that, the fact that I bump my head getting in EVERY day!

I'm sure it's a very reliable truck, but it just missed the point for me.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

... Most folks are idiots when it deals with electrical !!!

67rustavenger wrote:

3/4 race cam? What's missing, one of the lobes? Shocked

Paul

'68 Manx clone... Sears??
2276 built on AS21 case
W-125 w/ GB 1.25:1 rockers
Mahle forged pistons
CB 4340 crank
CB H beam rods
deep sump
44 HPMX
EMPI GTV 2 STG II wedge ports
CB Magna spark
1 5/8 merged collector w/ hater stinger
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger Facebook Twitter Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
rcroane Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2022 7:48 am    Post subject: Re: Toyota Tacoma - real life experience Reply with quote

slayer61 wrote:
I have a similar story to the OP. A while back my 2013 HEMI RAM 1500 single cab, short bed was totaled. I was crushed. I loved that truck. Realizing that the price of gas wasn't going to go down any time soon, I bought a slightly used 2018 Toyota Tacoma with the 4 cylinder engine. Not a stripper truck, but not a lot of options.

We took it on a road trip from NorCal where we live, to my brother's house in Havasu city. What a mistake. The 4 cylinder is down on power where the truck has to drop a gear (or 2) to get over the hills in the desert! Add to that, the fact that I bump my head getting in EVERY day!

I'm sure it's a very reliable truck, but it just missed the point for me.

Thanks. Sorry about your truck....I can definitely relate. If I go with the Tacoma, it will be with the 3.5L V6.
Mickey bitsko
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2022 8:56 am    Post subject: Re: Toyota Tacoma - real life experience Reply with quote

After owning several toyota trucks for the last 40yrs ,
They are definitely overpriced for what you get.
Sure, they last a long time but,so do domestics.
Not sure tacomas get any better mpgs than a ford eco whatever. Imo..

My brother had ford rangers all those years and gave me grief
Every time I bought a toyota. He just bought a new tundra.. 🤣
Come to find out, a new tundra was cheaper than a 2yo f250 with 100k.
There's something about toyota trucks that, to me ,
sound tinny and light weight.. imo
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
c21darrel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2022 3:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Toyota Tacoma - real life experience Reply with quote

I drive a 2016 Tacoma daily. I got the long bed. Interior comfy for me. I get 17mph around town and about 25 on the highway. Never an issue in 38K miles. Pulls my ski boat w/o issue. Its a good truck. Get asked if its for sale more often than my Ghia. GL.
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=693583&highlight=67+dc
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
Iowa Mark
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2022 5:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Toyota Tacoma - real life experience Reply with quote

2006 V-6 tacoma prerunner. That's the jacked up 2-wheel drive double cab baby box pick-up. 180,000 and all I've done to it was tires batteries an output shaft seal on the tranny and an antenna. Oh, and 3 hanger bearings. The last time I shimmed it down an inch. The thing is still worth more than any of the other trucks that old. Frame rust? name me any brand that doesn't rust up in the snow belt.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
kirk1015
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2022 5:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Toyota Tacoma - real life experience Reply with quote

I just purchased a 22 Tacoma TRD Sport 4X4 back in April. I had to replace my 2017 Jetta GLi that was totaled in January. It took 3 months to get the truck. VW was going to take 4-5 months for a GTi. I know apples to oranges. But I digress.
So far I have not had one issue and enjoying the heck out of the truck. Tacoma has the highest resale value of all the mid-sized trucks. It's a Toyota, it will most likely run forever.
You may however have issues getting a Tacoma off the lot at this time because of the shortage. Toyota like all manufacturers is still reeling from the chip shortage. Expect to pay a mark-up of some type as well. Whether it be in MSRP or Dealer Add-Ons. My "Out the Door" price was around 44K. Not TOO bad on that front.
chickengeorge
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2022 11:07 am    Post subject: Re: Toyota Tacoma - real life experience Reply with quote

I drove two Tacoma trucks spanning 1999-2014
Lowered 4cyl regular cabs for both. Somebody mentioned it being under powered. Maybe. I just held it to the floor when needed. That's the nice thing about the 2RZ-FE...hold it to the floor for as long as you want. It doesn't care.
Other than oil, I replaced front brakes once and a belt. Can't say about the V6, but I know in the past they've had head gasket and valve issues.
Maybe not the most reliable in the V6 4WD, all options version, but there is a perceived reliability and therefore value there. I guarantee you can spend the same money on a Ford or Dodge and it won't be worth nearly as much in 10 years. You can google the value retention and get a historical resale multiplier.

For example, my coworker looked at an Acura and the new Chrysler 300 when they came out (the big square one) and bought the 300. They were similarly priced up front, but that Acura was worth $8k more when she sold the 300 a few years later.
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2022 3:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Toyota Tacoma - real life experience Reply with quote

chickengeorge wrote:
I drove two Tacoma trucks spanning 1999-2014
Lowered 4cyl regular cabs for both. Somebody mentioned it being under powered.

I drive a 1988 Mazda B2200 Cab Plus truck daily; has 4-cylinder engine, 82-85hp.

I also have 1998 and 2004 Nissan Frontiers, 2004 is King Cab; both are 4-cylinders as well but have 143hp, a huge difference over the Mazda truck. I find that the two Frontiers have enough hp/acceleration for me.
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
cantdrv55
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2022 9:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Toyota Tacoma - real life experience Reply with quote

I’ve been using my stepdad’s 2015 Tacoma for a few weeks now. Even though it’s 7 years old, it only has 3700 miles because he got sick just after he bought it so it sat a while. It’s a four banger, 2wd, extra cab. It’s real nice and we’ll built but it’s gutless. Also, it’s really hard to judge the truck’s corners so whenever I pull into a parking spot, I feel like I’m going to hit something. I like the truck because it’s tough but I probably won’t be offering to buy it off him. I already have a Nissan Titan V8, 4wd, crew cab and it’s a beast.
chickengeorge
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2022 8:44 am    Post subject: Re: Toyota Tacoma - real life experience Reply with quote

cantdrv55 wrote:
Also, it’s really hard to judge the truck’s corners so whenever I pull into a parking spot, I feel like I’m going to hit something.

100%
I didn't like my 08 for this reason. I really loved my 97 for it's small size and hp to weight.
cantdrv55
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2022 8:57 am    Post subject: Re: Toyota Tacoma - real life experience Reply with quote

I don’t get why Toyota bulked up the Tacoma. The old small Toyota trucks were great. I had an ‘82 and it was rock solid reliable and fun to drive. I gave it away when it had 255,000 miles but before that, many landscapers in the area offered to buy it from me.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: