Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Good quality early window rubbers?
Forum Index -> Beetle - Split-Window/1938-53 VWs Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
sinclair
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2022 1:35 am    Post subject: Good quality early window rubbers? Reply with quote

I'm struggling to find good quality standard window rubbers in the UK. I bought a full BBT set through Just Kampers, which were so poor I couldn't get them on the glass never mind in the car! The second pair of rear side rubbers I bought from Heritage. Only one was correct and it's their last one in stock. it's better but still too thick to fit the car. Ive never had issues with rubbers before and fitted plenty over the years. These just seem too thick and bulky, not at all like the factory seals. Any recommendations please?

Decent rear screen rubbers, nice concave finish.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Big bulky hard side rubbers thick and convex.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Martin Southwell
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2022 4:20 am    Post subject: Re: Good quality early window rubbers? Reply with quote

As you're finding, there is a lot of c**p out there in the replacement parts market for early VW's, and the window rubbers are no exception. I couldn't tell you what you should buy, as I have no recent experience, other than helping a friend fit a front windscreen on his split. The rubbers didn't touch the bodywork in the corners, and when appying pressure from the outside, the windscreen ended up on his lap whilst he was sitting on the front seat!

It'll be interesting to hear what others have to say, and you surprise me re the BBT product, as they usually try their best to replicate items nicely.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
virtanen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2022 5:27 am    Post subject: Re: Good quality early window rubbers? Reply with quote

I have had good experiences with VEWIB window rubbers.
New projects
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
aa390392
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2022 3:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Good quality early window rubbers Reply with quote

Virtual, where do you purchase VEWIB. anywhere in the states?

55 ragtop
56 delux sedan
56 Kabriolet
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2022 4:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Good quality early window rubbers Reply with quote

aa390392 wrote:
Virtual, where do you purchase VEWIB. anywhere in the states?

I know CIP1.com sells some of them but I don't know if they have them clearly marked as from VEWIB

If there are other sources I would like to know that.
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
greek_tony
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2022 11:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Good quality early window rubbers? Reply with quote

sinclair wrote:
I'm struggling to find good quality standard window rubbers in the UK. I bought a full BBT set through Just Kampers, which were so poor I couldn't get them on the glass never mind in the car! The second pair of rear side rubbers I bought from Heritage. Only one was correct and it's their last one in stock. it's better but still too thick to fit the car. Ive never had issues with rubbers before and fitted plenty over the years. These just seem too thick and bulky, not at all like the factory seals. Any recommendations please?

Decent rear screen rubbers, nice concave finish.

Big bulky hard side rubbers thick and convex.

Hi, I used Custom and Commercial for rubbers for my Oval. But it was over 3 years ago.
klubbs
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2022 12:14 am    Post subject: Re: Good quality early window rubbers? Reply with quote

Hi,

Here you can buy a complete vewib (german) set

https://www.ge-ma-classics.de/Scheibendichtsatz-fuer-VW-Kaefer-Brezel-Bj-46-51-Ohne-Nut

edit: i see they only ship in the EU, i can send you a set if you want, send me a PM if you want that
SplitPersonality
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2022 12:37 am    Post subject: Re: Good quality early window rubbers? Reply with quote

I have been very happy with the 45-deg cut kit from BBT. Perfect fit and very authentic. I have used on two Splits the last year - very happy.
banana split
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2022 11:06 am    Post subject: Re: Good quality early window rubbers? Reply with quote

CIP carries the VEWIB - VW-Entfallteiledienst seals :

Windshield :
https://www2.cip1.com/c24-111-845-121-a/

Left quarter window :
https://www2.cip1.com/c24-111-845-321-a/

Right quarter window :
https://www2.cip1.com/c24-111-845-322-a/

Rear windows :
https://www2.cip1.com/c24-111-845-521/
1964 Chop Top
Martin Southwell
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2022 2:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Good quality early window rubbers? Reply with quote

SplitPersonality wrote:
I have been very happy with the 45-deg cut kit from BBT. Perfect fit and very authentic. I have used on two Splits the last year - very happy.

Any pictures available to demonstrate please?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Second Air Force
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2022 3:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Good quality early window rubbers? Reply with quote

Yes, pictures would be great as I'm needing rubbers for a Standard oval and would really like to find the correct profile!
Bruce
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2022 11:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Good quality early window rubbers? Reply with quote

banana split wrote:
CIP carries the VEWIB - VW-Entfallteiledienst seals :

Windshield :
https://www2.cip1.com/c24-111-845-121-a/

Left quarter window :
https://www2.cip1.com/c24-111-845-321-a/

Right quarter window :
https://www2.cip1.com/c24-111-845-322-a/

Rear windows :
https://www2.cip1.com/c24-111-845-521/

Do you know if these seals are the thin split window profile, or the later fat oval type?
Käfer2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2022 11:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Good quality early window rubbers? Reply with quote

Seem to be the later type, as there is also a split small profile type mentioned
http://www.vewib.de/index.php?language=en&cat=...00230&
sinclair
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2022 11:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Good quality early window rubbers? Reply with quote

Käfer2 wrote:
Seem to be the later type, as there is also a split small profile type mentioned

Thank you. That’s what I’m looking for Smile
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
splitjunkie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2022 6:21 am    Post subject: Re: Good quality early window rubbers? Reply with quote

sinclair wrote:
Käfer2 wrote:

Thank you. That’s what I’m looking for Smile

That's what I bought from CIP1 a couple of years ago. Nice quality, but I haven't installed them yet. The seams are not invisible but better than the Wolfsburg West kit I bought.

You know, a lot of these scratches will buff right out... Jerry Seinfeld
sinclair
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2022 2:38 am    Post subject: Re: Good quality early window rubbers? Reply with quote

Left is is new, right NOS. Quite a difference!
splitjunkie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2022 7:25 am    Post subject: Re: Good quality early window rubbers? Reply with quote

Are you sure you ordered the correct part numbers or that they shipped you the correct parts? My vewib rubbers look just like your NOS ones.

You know, a lot of these scratches will buff right out... Jerry Seinfeld
IN2VWS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2023 4:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Good quality early window rubbers? Reply with quote

⨴⨵--⊗--⨴⨵ 𝕊ℙ𝟚¹⁹⁷³
𝟵_𝟭_𝟰¹⁹⁷³
Martin Southwell
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2023 6:23 am    Post subject: Re: Good quality early window rubbers? Reply with quote

SplitPersonality wrote:

We're still looking at various window rubbers here in the UK, especially for 56 Beetles, and see that the two listed VeWib sellers here, have no stock with one of them, and Just Kampers just sell the rear 1/4s, selling mainly WW products.

I'm e-mailing VeWib, to see if they can supply, but for most it would seem to be WW or BBT products, both of which have some negative feedback. Photo's of both brands would still be appreciated by many of us, as this issue is far from resolved. Many thanks to those who can do so.
Martin Southwell
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2023 1:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Good quality early window rubbers? Reply with quote

Heard back from VeWib today, who inform me that their manufacturer in Germany is only producing 20% of their usual output, for whatever reason, and so the front windscreen rubber for a 56 is on back order for now.

It seems that Just Kampers are still their UK outlet, and rubbers have to be ordered through them. We'll do that, and when fitted, we'll provide a realistic appraisal of fit.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Split-Window/1938-53 VWs All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: