Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Name That Sound!!!!!!!
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
8675-30-9
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2022 8:23 pm    Post subject: Name That Sound!!!!!!! Reply with quote

Okay guys and gals.

VEHICLE: 1975 VW WESTY, MANUAL TRANS, 1800cc, FUEL INJECTED
Current dwell: 44 deg
Current timing: 4 deg BTDC set here or the recommended 5 deg ATDC. Doesn’t make a difference.

Name this sound, it is so random I don’t know what to think. Sometimes it is frequent and sometime it’s silenced. This is an engine noise and only presents itself under load. Bonus points for a fix. Your time is hugely appreciated. Thank you.

https://mavrikblakinc-my.sharepoint.com/:u:/g/pers...kcATidri4w
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2022 9:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Name That Sound!!!!!!! Reply with quote

where is the noise loudest?

Carb or FI
richparker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2022 10:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Name That Sound!!!!!!! Reply with quote

Sounds like a game Robbie would play.

So my guess is lifters.
’65 Deluxe Build
’63 Deluxe Build
timvw7476
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2022 10:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Name That Sound!!!!!!! Reply with quote

it's probably afterfire, due to your messed up timing.
You say the call out is 5 degrees After TDC? VW had some goofy emissions settings in the '74-'75 years, & it all works if the vacuum retard & advance cans are both working. Most times, the retard portion, the spigot pointing back at the distributor body, is long since blown out & you revert to the later 2.0L setting, meaning 7.5 degrees Before TDC, at idle, all hoses plugged. Checking that it gets to 28 degrees or so at 3,500 rpm, checking with a timing light on the VW scale of course. Then you hook up your advance hose, leave the retard off & plugged at the hose. Drive THAT. : )
Also, dwell, not really into it, when you set a new set of uncratered points, at .016", the dwell naturally falls in the vicinity of 48-50 degrees. We lube the rubbing block, drop a few droplets engine oil on the felt at the center of the distributor shaft (impeded oil vapor from getting up in there & wreaking havoc)
And we drive 12-14k with no further service. At least that's my way. YMMV.
8675-30-9
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2022 6:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Name That Sound!!!!!!! Reply with quote

timvw7476 wrote:
it's probably afterfire, due to your messed up timing.
You say the call out is 5 degrees After TDC? VW had some goofy emissions settings in the '74-'75 years, & it all works if the vacuum retard & advance cans are both working. Most times, the retard portion, the spigot pointing back at the distributor body, is long since blown out & you revert to the later 2.0L setting, meaning 7.5 degrees Before TDC, at idle, all hoses plugged. Checking that it gets to 28 degrees or so at 3,500 rpm, checking with a timing light on the VW scale of course. Then you hook up your advance hose, leave the retard off & plugged at the hose. Drive THAT. : )
Also, dwell, not really into it, when you set a new set of uncratered points, at .016", the dwell naturally falls in the vicinity of 48-50 degrees. We lube the rubbing block, drop a few droplets engine oil on the felt at the center of the distributor shaft (impeded oil vapor from getting up in there & wreaking havoc)
And we drive 12-14k with no further service. At least that's my way. YMMV.

I’m going to try this and report back. Thank you!
airschooled
Air-Schooled

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2022 7:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Name That Sound!!!!!!! Reply with quote

Valves adjusted?
No tin screws dropped down the intake?
Intake system checked for vacuum leaks?
Fuel pressure check 28-38psi with no kinks in any hoses?

Put a vacuum gauge in place of the small decel valve hose. A needle tick along with he noise indicates a head/valve/cam issue. Most FLAPS rent them for free.

Robbie
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
timvw7476
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2022 12:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Name That Sound!!!!!!! Reply with quote

Wishing you luck with it, I did neglect o mention WHY the 5 degrees After TDC timing gets tossed. It's the vacuum retard feature, that retard portion of the can is what pulls the points plate way back to that setting. So if you dare to set your idle timing there, with a known or unknown bad vacuum retard can, you've essentially set the entire timing curve back many degrees, never to arrive at the 28-30 degrees Before TDC these engines prefer to run at.

With a failed retard, the vacuum advance pull can only do so much, timing remains retarded, EVERYWHERE. The centrifugal advance weights can't correct it either. That's why a timing light is critical, to see/measure both idle spark event as well as full centrifugal spark event at higher engine speeds, then plugging the known good advance can up to the system to 'add' extra degrees as well.
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2022 2:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Name That Sound!!!!!!! Reply with quote

Daddy are we there yet?

It is some kind of misfire. You need to listen closely with a piece of hose to find exactly where the sound is coming from to isolate the potential causes. when you tell us exactly where it is coming from we can tell you where to look next.
8675-30-9
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2022 2:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Name That Sound!!!!!!! Reply with quote

richparker wrote:
Sounds like a game Robbie would play.

So my guess is lifters.

Thank you. Lifters are upgraded to the hydraulic version and set with 2 turns at TDC on each cylinder.
8675-30-9
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2022 2:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Name That Sound!!!!!!! Reply with quote

SGKent wrote:

Carb or FI

Thank you. Centre of engine observed through hatch inspection cover. Fuel Injected.
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2022 2:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Name That Sound!!!!!!! Reply with quote

8675-30-9 wrote:
SGKent wrote:

Carb or FI

Thank you. Centre of engine observed through hatch inspection cover. Fuel Injected.

Best Guess is you have either (1) an intake valve too tight. You are hearing it spit back into the plenum, or (2) possibly a loose intake valve seat but I do not hear a ticky tack sound that would indicate it.

Put a long screwdriver on top of the plenum and listen See if you hear it better. Also put the screwdriver or stethoscope next to the distributor and see if it is louder there. It should not be.
8675-30-9
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2022 4:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Name That Sound!!!!!!! Reply with quote

SGKent wrote:
8675-30-9 wrote:
SGKent wrote:

Carb or FI

Best Guess is you have either (1) an intake valve too tight. You are hearing it spit back into the plenum, or (2) possibly a loose intake valve seat but I do not hear a ticky tack sound that would indicate it.

Put a long screwdriver on top of the plenum and listen See if you hear it better. Also put the screwdriver or stethoscope next to the distributor and see if it is louder there. It should not be.

Thanks again. I'm on it. I am super attentive to detail when setting the hydraulic lifters. At TDC starting on cylinder 3 and for all cylinders, rotating 180 deg in the firing order, I back the rockers off completely, then tighten until there is no gap +/- 1/16 of a turn (a gentle tap on the pushrod side while holding the end to the valve to ensure no space between pushrod or valve, there is a very audible clacking when there is a gap present), then a full 2 turns (i have already completed this task with 1-1/2 turns and had the same results.)

As well, i had another NEW distributer I swapped yesterday with the same results. The original distributer with the one vacuum connection pointing back to the distributer is pooched on this port. The timing jumps around. The new one doesn't jump around, but only has the advance spigot ONLY, no reatrded one. Apparently these distributors are not found anymore in new or even good condition.

Maybe a leak-down test is needed here. Could this be a weak spring somewhere? The gas is only about a year old and I don't think these engines are that sensitive to octane levels, are they? Regardless, I am onto the next phase pinpointing sound here and will report back once again.
timvw7476
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2022 5:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Name That Sound!!!!!!! Reply with quote

a vacuum advance only can will work just fine.
Around the Westcoast of the US, year old gas is a question mark, newer cars with solenoid-sealed fuel tanks may use it, but in older vehicles, the ethanol fuel collects water & ages quickly. Like unusable in a two-stroke engine in sixty days quickly. Four strokes have an easier time burning it but not by much.
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2022 5:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Name That Sound!!!!!!! Reply with quote

there is a tiny spring inside the lifter, You have to be able to feel it still able to move to full extended before you take your two turns. I think you have that but if the sound is coming from the plenum it is either a misfire like a crossed plug wire or carbon track in the cap, or the valve is leaking. If a valve is leaking it is either adjustment or the seat. This assumes you have the timing set to approx factory for whatever distributor type that ended up in it.

[img]https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=1778938[/img]

[img]https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=1778939[/img]
8675-30-9
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2022 2:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Name That Sound!!!!!!! Reply with quote

SOLVED!!!! My apologies for the delay on this. This indeed was pinging. I had an aftermarket distributer installed in the engine there when this sound was made. I since tried another aftermarket new dizzy, with the same results. That is 2 distributors that gave me this problem. I assume it was because of a wrong curve on the distributors that differs from that of the dizzy's required for the fuel injected 1800??

I put the old distributor in there and WHAM it ran perfect through the gears. Problem is, that the timing jumps all over the place at idle and i can't get it perfect like i would like to!! SO. I am aware these dizzy are no longer available in any form so I am told. Anyone have any ideas on where to go from here for a new dizzy that can accommodate the FI curve requirements?? Please advise. You responses are appreciated.

I would like to thank you all for your attention and contribution to this thread thus far, so appreciative for this community!! Very Happy Cool
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2022 2:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Name That Sound!!!!!!! Reply with quote

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=9425786
https://123ignitionusa.com/123ignitions/volkswagon/

Pricey ($$$), but well-made and either selectable or programmable curves. Available with simulated vacuum advance portion, too.
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2022 4:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Name That Sound!!!!!!! Reply with quote

Bill at SparkWerks rebuilds them. That said, if the idle speed is close to 1000 RPM that will cause timing drifting, so will a timing light that is going out, or if the inductive pickup is directional, facing in the wrong direction.
aeromech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2022 7:06 am    Post subject: Re: Name That Sound!!!!!!! Reply with quote

What is the part number on the side of your stock distributor?

205AB?

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2179422

Even though this ad is old, looking at it might help you. This is from Bill Fowler
Boeing 727,737-200-300-400,757,767
Airbus A319,320,321
DC9/MD80
BAe146
Fokker F28/F100
VW type 1 1962,63,65,69,72
VW Type 2 1971 (3 ea.) 1978, 1969
VW Jetta
VW Passat
Capable of leaping tall buildings in a single bound
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
8675-30-9
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2022 11:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Name That Sound!!!!!!! Reply with quote

Thanks everyone. Bus is in storage now until April, so project on hold until the new year! Thanks to everyone who has helped out. Merry Christmas and Happy New Year in 2023. I will reach out then for sure. Take care.
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2022 12:16 am    Post subject: Re: Name That Sound!!!!!!! Reply with quote

8675-30-9 wrote:
Thanks everyone. Bus is in storage now until April, so project on hold until the new year!.

story time, so gather 'round

So many builders, rebuilders and shops like myself absolutely despise people like this.

Weather turns, car has a known issue and gets parked for months but when the roads are clear and it's 60* out all of a sudden they need (insert part/issue addressed) yesterday and get all pissed when they get told we are 6, 10 weeks backed up.

You would be wise to get on a list NOW because distributers, transmissions, engines aren't gonna be here tuseday from amazon. I mean seriously, I can't tell you how many times I have heard "well, the brakes were shit but the weather's nice so now I want to fix it"

My transmission guy goes thru this all the time. "trans was noisy in October but I want it fixed. What do you mean it won't be done until the end of august? It's May now!"

don't be that guy, and if you do want to be that guy, expect a long wait

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:
most VW enthusiasts are stuck in 80's price land.

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: