Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Headliner 23 window from scratch
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Navydave73
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2022 8:44 am    Post subject: Re: Headliner 23 window from scratch Reply with quote

Ragtop section. I used a 1/4” cardboard strip sewn into the front edge. The measurements in the sketch worked for me except my last seam was 27.5 cm instead of 28.5 cm. This material is very stretchy so in hindsite, I should have subtracted a little for stretch but I was worried about running out and there was none to spare.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

The tension bars are bolted on for now. I’ll rivet after everything is final
Navydave73
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2022 8:52 am    Post subject: Re: Headliner 23 window from scratch Reply with quote

I didnt take pics of ragtop layout, same as other threads here. I attached the side straps were they fell when the ragtop was fully open.

The rear section. Before attaching the ragtop headliner that glues over the clip holes, i held cardboard up and center marked the holes. This piece of cardboard was 3/4” wide and sewn into the leading edge

A rough measurement of 22 1/2” to the bow spikes and a 2” loop approximately 38” wide sewn into this seam. I messed up centerline while sewing so it isn’t on center, had to cut while installing.

This is the foam backed material. It turned out nicer than I had expected. I will have to pull it down again and rest in the sides of the rear seam where I trimmed. Don’t want that seam to unravel.
Navydave73
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2022 8:59 am    Post subject: Re: Headliner 23 window from scratch Reply with quote

Cardboard is way too thin up front and shows a ripple. My kids ragtop bugs have a metal strip here with regular door panel clips. I bought shiny door panel clips for a later split window bus for mine so I think I will make a metal strip with holes that match the cardboard.

Sewing the beading cover was painful since I did what I always do…cut thing too small. It is a struggle to install but I can see where it will end so I can remove and sew up the passenger side end cap.

All in all, it came out OK. I need to control where the glue gets sprayed on both the bus and the material so it doesn’t stick where it shouldn’t. Maybe it will look better when I get all the windows in. I like the stretchyness of this material, but the handful of perforated vinyl headliners I’ve done turned out better.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: