Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

2023 BARNDOOR GATHERING
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Forum Index -> Split Bus - Barndoor Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Barndoor Mafia
Il Capo

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2022 8:24 am    Post subject: 2023 BARNDOOR GATHERING Reply with quote

On June of 2023, a few Barndoor Aficionado's will be orchestrating a Barndoor line up to showcase within the OCTO event. The Orange County Transporter Organization (OCTO) is hosting the gathering. The last Barndoor gathering of this type was held 10 years ago and had a very impressive line up / Display of Barndoors. Come 2023 we plan on having yet a more impressive line up with never seen before rides & projects.

As we are in the early stages of planning for this event, both the BDM & OCTO are working out the fine details for this gathering. There will be two awards handed out, as this is not a common practice at OCTO events. The first award will be for the oldest Bus "that's never been to OCTO" and the longest driven to the gathering. Special trophies are in the works.

As time comes closer, any form of information which comes up will be posted both up here and on my Instagram page. This will be a worth while event to come and see all these rare Volkswagen Buses in one location at the same time. With this said, this gives ALL of you folks out there with Barndoor projects plenty of time in advance to get your Bus out to this special and unique gathering.

If you have any questions pertaining to this event, feel free contacting me or post something up in here.

Thank you in advance.

~ Johnny, Ed and Matt

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Last edited by Barndoor Mafia on Mon Sep 12, 2022 6:11 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Long-roofs
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2022 2:15 pm    Post subject: Re: 2023 BARNDOOR GATHERING Reply with quote

On the calendar. See if I can swing it, expensive 3000 miles and hot.

"No, I do not own a bleepin' leaf blower"

--
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Douglas Denlinger
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2022 8:25 pm    Post subject: Re: 2023 BARNDOOR GATHERING Reply with quote

Already have one east coast barndoor that's planning to be there.

Active 23 Window Samba Collector/Restorer,since 1986
Barndoor Mafia
Il Capo

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2022 7:49 am    Post subject: Re: 2023 BARNDOOR GATHERING Reply with quote

Long-roofs wrote:
On the calendar. See if I can swing it, expensive 3000 miles and hot.

Hopefully you can make it out!? There's talks about a Canadian convoy heading down here? They maybe cruising by you?? Maybe they can swoop you up .......
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Barndoor Mafia
Il Capo

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2022 7:51 am    Post subject: Re: 2023 BARNDOOR GATHERING Reply with quote

Douglas Denlinger wrote:
Already have one east coast barndoor that's planning to be there.

That's great news!! I know of two coming out from the east coast and possibly a 3rd Barney?? Keeping our finger's crossed. It will be great to see everyone out there. Especially the old timers.
Lind
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2022 8:36 pm    Post subject: Re: 2023 BARNDOOR GATHERING Reply with quote

Are local LA guys limited to one barndoor per owner, or can they bring multiple barndoors? It would sure be cool to run the numbers up.....
VWoA literature and early dealership or distributor literature/pictures/information
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Barndoor Mafia
Il Capo

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2022 5:35 am    Post subject: Re: 2023 BARNDOOR GATHERING Reply with quote

Lind wrote:
Are local LA guys limited to one barndoor per owner, or can they bring multiple barndoors? It would sure be cool to run the numbers up.....

No limit. If one owns more than one Barndoor, they are more than welcomed to bring their posse. One local enthusiasts plans on bringing all 4 of his Barndoors!! Also, Todd Olmsted owns 3 and he's brought them all in the past. There are a few which have never been seen and or driven on US soil Wink Regardless it will be a good turn out and lots of fun.
von_hansel Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2022 8:14 am    Post subject: Re: 2023 BARNDOOR GATHERING Reply with quote

Tocayo- Super excited for this event! The 2012 Barndoor gathering is still one of my favorite OCTO I have attended

The '50 line up was like Michael Jackson's hair in the Pepsi commercial; on fire!!

Will your Big Brother be bringing his collection(S) of barndoors down?

It would be great if the Barndoor King of Iowa was able to bring some of his collection.
Barndoor Mafia
Il Capo

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2022 8:41 am    Post subject: Re: 2023 BARNDOOR GATHERING Reply with quote

I was chatting with Ed Hughes and Matt Devine, and a few other European Barndoor owners regarding the 2023 gathering. I’d have to say we, the Americans, were pretty pumped about the event. It spread like wildfire by late Friday.

Hopefully our excitement rubs off on them and encourages them to cross the pond for this gathering. Seeing a few 50’s on site was another story!!
I’m keeping my fingers crossed more 50’s show up!!??

Once the word spreads out here within the Colonies, folks will start working on their projects. I actually had a good friend of mine ask me about the gathering.
He’s in the middle of his Barndoor project and said his target date is that weekend.

von_hansel wrote:
Tocayo- Super excited for this event! The 2012 Barndoor gathering is still one of my favorite OCTO I have attended

The '50 line up was like Michael Jackson's hair in the Pepsi commercial; on fire!!

Will your Big Brother be bringing his collection(S) of barndoors down?

It would be great if the Barndoor King of Iowa was able to bring some of his collection.
Lind
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2022 11:10 am    Post subject: Re: 2023 BARNDOOR GATHERING Reply with quote

von_hansel wrote:
Seriously. I was drooling over all of them, but one of the four 1950 buses that was there that day was of particular interest to me. Dreams do come true.
<-----------------------------

I hope the '50 lineup is even better than last time. Obviously there are a couple more monsters on the scene. It would be great if all the others can make it.
VWoA literature and early dealership or distributor literature/pictures/information
von_hansel Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2022 12:33 pm    Post subject: Re: 2023 BARNDOOR GATHERING Reply with quote

Lind wrote:
von_hansel wrote:
Seriously. I was drooling over all of them, but one of the four 1950 buses that was there that day was of particular interest to me. Dreams do come true.

I hope the '50 lineup is even better than last time. Obviously there are a couple more monsters on the scene. It would be great if all the others can make it.

A pic I took that day of your dream bus. Super exciting to see it getting miles put on it.

I concur; I am looking forward to the '50 line up in 2023 as well. There is one with a sunroof I haven't had a chance to drool over yet. Fingers cross it makes it in June .
Lind
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2022 4:22 pm    Post subject: Re: 2023 BARNDOOR GATHERING Reply with quote

von_hansel wrote:
Lind wrote:
von_hansel wrote:

A pic I took that day of your dream bus. Super exciting to see it getting miles put on it.

I concur; I am looking forward to the '50 line up in 2023 as well. There is one with a sunroof I haven't had a chance to drool over yet. Fingers cross it makes it in June .

The sunroof '50 is the brother to my bus. they are 79 buses apart, sold at the same dealership in 1950, and both moved to California in the '60s.

In 2012 I took the walkthrough panel, and was parked right behind Sudfunk, so I got to look at it all day long.

late model barndoor meet early model barndoor:

Barndoor Mafia
Il Capo

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2022 5:00 am    Post subject: Re: 2023 BARNDOOR GATHERING Reply with quote

Lind wrote:
In 2012 I took the walkthrough panel, and was parked right behind Sudfunk, so I got to look at it all day long.

late model barndoor meet early model barndoor:

Who would have known!!?? On a good note - the WT Panel resides in the South of France and takes many cruises out in the countryside. I'll dig up a picture and post it up in here.

I too am looking forward to a 1950 line up!!
busben
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2022 1:37 pm    Post subject: Re: 2023 BARNDOOR GATHERING Reply with quote

Bob Hammond in france ………

Done Wink

Barndoor Mafia
Il Capo

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2022 5:14 am    Post subject: Re: 2023 BARNDOOR GATHERING Reply with quote

busben wrote:

Oui .... my buddy Fred owns it. He sends me cool videos and pictures of himself rolling through the South French countryside. Thumbs Up
andre b
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2022 6:47 am    Post subject: Re: 2023 BARNDOOR GATHERING Reply with quote

Barndoor Mafia wrote:
busben wrote:

Oui .... my buddy Fred owns it. He sends me cool videos and pictures of himself rolling through the South French countryside. Thumbs Up
I should of never sold it!!!one of the first major surgery buses I've ever done nor seen,,way before the the typical rocker replace..new Barndoor frame and all...I thought at that time it was gonna be damn near impossible for a backyard builder.lol,,much love for BOB,,
Lowdown Dirty Rat
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2022 2:50 pm    Post subject: Re: 2023 BARNDOOR GATHERING Reply with quote

Would love to come out for this but not sure how it fits with the European Barndoor gathering 20-21st May and Volkswagens own bus festival 23-25 June 2023 Confused
Lind
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2022 6:23 pm    Post subject: Re: 2023 BARNDOOR GATHERING Reply with quote

Lowdown Dirty Rat wrote:
Would love to come out for this but not sure how it fits with the European Barndoor gathering 20-21st May and Volkswagens own bus festival 23-25 June 2023 Confused
I don't think that the two barndoor gatherings in 2023 will have any overlap of vehicles. If the two events were on different years, I would try to get my bus to both.

It shouldn't be hard for someone from Europe to make all three events, but it would be expensive for someone from the States to do all three.
Lowdown Dirty Rat
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2022 7:45 am    Post subject: Re: 2023 BARNDOOR GATHERING Reply with quote

What’s the date of June octo 2023?
Barndoor Mafia
Il Capo

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2022 11:13 am    Post subject: Re: 2023 BARNDOOR GATHERING Reply with quote

andre b wrote:
I should of never sold it!!!one of the first major surgery buses I've ever done nor seen,,way before the the typical rocker replace..new Barndoor frame and all...I thought at that time it was gonna be damn near impossible for a backyard builder.lol,,much love for BOB,,

It happens to all of us!! But you have a nice collection at the moment.

Hopefully you can make it down for this gathering.

BTW - it was nice chatting with you at OCTO.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus - Barndoor All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 1 of 6

Jump to: