Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Oli's 1981 Vanagon Westfalia TDI Build
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
MarkWard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2022 6:00 am    Post subject: Re: Oli's 1981 Vanagon Westfalia TDI Build Reply with quote

Oliver, if you search the Samba Gallery under my username, I’ve posted pictures representing all my vanagon projects. AndyBees documented his conversion at TDIclub.com.
ALIKA T3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2022 11:02 am    Post subject: Re: Oli's 1981 Vanagon Westfalia TDI Build Reply with quote

In your case go with the adapter then, and be done with it.
Like you said, if you don't like it, modify it later at 50°. Maybe Tim can make you a 15mm dummy spacer in case you go back to 50°
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=416343
Syncro http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4...num+gadget
Sodo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2022 11:13 am    Post subject: Re: Oli's 1981 Vanagon Westfalia TDI Build Reply with quote

ALIKA T3 wrote:
Iif you don't like it, modify it later at 50°

Doesn't changing the engine angle require different header, oilpan and all plumbing changes?

I won't really comprehend the detail I'm just sorta interested in the general question.

'90 Westy EJ25, 2Peloquins, 3knobs, pressure-oiled GT mainshaft, filtered, cooled gearbox
'87 Tintop w 47k 53k, '12 SmallCar EJ25, cooled filtered gearbox
....KTMs, GasGas, SPOT mtb
ALIKA T3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2022 12:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Oli's 1981 Vanagon Westfalia TDI Build Reply with quote

Sodo wrote:
ALIKA T3 wrote:

Doesn't changing the engine angle require different header, oilpan and all plumbing changes?

I won't really comprehend the detail I'm just sorta interested in the general question.

Oh absolutely Laughing But still do able with the will and skills and/or money.
OlisGarage
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2022 8:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Oli's 1981 Vanagon Westfalia TDI Build Reply with quote

MarkWard wrote:
Oliver, if you search the Samba Gallery under my username, I’ve posted pictures representing all my vanagon projects. AndyBees documented his conversion at TDIclub.com.

Thank you for posting those! You have a good looking swap there. Are the injection pump and the oil filter the two items which are making you cut out the deck lid?

AndyBees thread I've read twice now. Lots of really insightful information; so much information that I end up forgetting half by the time I'm done reading! haha.

ALIKA T3 wrote:
Sodo wrote:
ALIKA T3 wrote:

Oh absolutely Laughing But still do able with the will and skills and/or money.

My thought on this is as follows: I would preffer to not raise the deck lid. However, I already have the deck lid raiser since it came with the project. If one swaps an ALH, most people have ended up having to at least raise part of the lid. There is a way to mount it low enough and not raise the deck lid, but that seems like it requires shifter modifications and such.
For now since I seem to have pieced everything together for a more upright installation, I will go that way. If later on I decide to lay it on over and go that route, then I'll do that. I'm already making a custom exhaust and making my own coolant hoses. As I've found out, and ALH swap is not that "simple". an AHU, 1Z, or AFN TDI are basically bolt in since those are still the same engine block as the early diesels, just a tad taller for the extra displacement. The ALH engine is not that way. All kinds of things (mounting points, coolant connections, etc) are changed a bit.
So if after a few years I get froggy and want to lay it over flat, then I'll take some time and do that later.
OlisGarage
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2023 9:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Oli's 1981 Vanagon Westfalia TDI Build Reply with quote

Time for another update!

The frame was painted immediately after sandblasting with Eastwood Optiflow Epoxy Primer.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

This stuff is advertised to be able to be rolled on to metal surfaces as opposed to spraying it. This was appealing to me since I haven’t tackled the problem of drying compressed air yet. So, the paint was applied. To be honest, this process was maddening. The working time is only 20 minutes once mixed. So if we are painting the whole bottom of a vanagon with a 1 inch paint brush and 2 inch rollers….it will take forever. And forever it took. However, here is the final product!

It is not perfect, but darnit it is close enough. This is underneath the van after all.

After a good primer, I wanted to apply a good paint. For this I used Eastwood 2k ceramic chassis black.

Well, that wasn’t sold as a roll-on type of paint, so it was time to finally bite the bullet and figure out how to dry my compressed air. After some thinking I decided to simply cool the air allowing the water to condense. Instead of buying an expensive air cooling unit, I decided to build my own! This is a copper coil which will be sitting in a cooler full of ice water. This cools the air, allows water to condense, and then the water will be caught by the water separator and desiccant.

This system seemed to work rather well, and I was able to paint the whole van with the chassis black. However, I didn’t order enough for multiple coats. So, I decided I would add an additional 4 coats of thin spray paint. For this I used Rustoleum professional gloss black. Now, some of you may question my choice here. I was in a bit of a bind. The eastwood paint needs to get painted over within a few days, so ordering more and hoping for overnight delivery was not realistic. I’ve used rustoleum products in the past on suspension components and they are still holding up very well, even after salt and winter abuse.
Final picture after the application of gloss black:

Now that the outside is painted, it was time to paint the inside of the frame rails. We spent countless hours scrubbing the inside of the rails, and I wanted everything to be painted inside. For this I used the Eastwood chassis paint. This paint comes with a wand which sprays it in all directions.

So, all of the insides were painted! I used green so that I knew what was painted with the internal frame coating.

Finally, one more coat of spray paint to finish everything off

At this stage I can confidently state that the chassis should not rust for a very long time.

Video for those who enjoy watching:

Link

Next up is suspension disassembly, sandblasting, and painting (hint, I’m already done with that. Just need to type up the next post!)
Here is a teaser. Baking the components next to the wood stove to harden the paint before installing them this weekend! All new poly bushings, ball joints, HD swaybar, etc from T3technique. Yes it was expensive haha.

4Gears4Tires
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2023 2:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Oli's 1981 Vanagon Westfalia TDI Build Reply with quote

Wow man, that is impressive work. I would say I'm jealous, but that is a hefty time investment.
OlisGarage
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2023 9:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Oli's 1981 Vanagon Westfalia TDI Build Reply with quote

Been busy over the last few months. Naturally it was nice and cold out for most of it. Just builds character though!

A picture of the van in the snow. It was about 11F (-12C) in this picture. A cold day in Indiana. Pretty sure this is the first winter the van has ever seen. It originated from the desert of California. Hence why it was in such pristine shape as well.

Pressing out the old steering rack bushings:

Walnut blasting the steering rack:

Rear trailing arms were pretty dirty and greasy. Looks like multiple CV boots failed. Before:

Pressure washing them with hot water during the winter. I installed a garden hose faucet to a hot water line from the house. Cheap DIY hot water pressure washer.

Sandblasting the trailing arms. Most things have been sand blasted at this point.

Indoor paint booth since it was rather cold outside:

New poly bushings from T3technique. Here the metal upper control arm outside bushing parts are getting pressed in.

Poly bushings for upper control arm are feline approved!

Had some problems pressing in new lower ball joints. These are from T3technique of course. As one can see, they aren’t all the way in.

Turns out one just has to “send it” with the press and keep going even after all of your body says to stop. It was a bit scary honestly.

New bump stops from GoWesty. These look super clean and like high quality. Old still on the shock in this picture.

And…the front suspension is all assembled. New HD swaybar from T3technique.

Of course I also purchase the steering cross member supports from T3tenchnique. They are being installed in this picture. At this point I think I own stock in T3technique. Great products, and I do believe they will be well worth the price. Not to mention the super fast shipping and extreme care put into every order. Thank you Chris! Some silicone steering rack boots are also in this picture from AlikaT3. Thank you as well; these things look and feel amazing.

3D printed the cap for the top retaining nut on the shocks. Found this on thingverse and I have access to a 3D printer at work for free. Figured that I should make use of it!

Rear suspension all laid out. I cleaned and clear coated four of the Bilstein shocks as well.

Rear suspension is assembled!

Disassembly of the rear axles. This took a torch and a grinder. Doesn’t help that these were not mounted on the car. But the grinder and torch made the job easy. I made sure not to get the axle hot, just the nut. This was done by first grinding most of the nut off and then just heating up the last bit connecting the nut until it melted away. Very little heat is transferred this way.

Rear bearing disassembly. This circlip was an absolute pain to remove. There is a helper in the background and she is doing more than just taking pictures!!

Greasing the rear bearings. A bearing greaser makes this job much easier and ensures that the entirety of the bearing is greased.

Reinstalling a new circlip to keep everything in place.

Torquing the bolts down that hold the rear axle assembly.

Rear disc swap complete and tire mounted!! This is the epytec kit that allows me to run 268mm rear rotors from a VW sharan. Plenty of high quality discs on ebay for a good price. ¼ of the way to rolling!!!

Pulling the bell housing to swap input shafts…I need to run the TDI shaft with 28 splines so that I can run a DMF clutch. This is a must for the older transmissions it seems. Old input shaft with 24 splines:

And since I have a Peloquin rear diff installed….I have to undue one of the side adjusters to swap input shafts. Otherwise the reverse gear cannot be slid up far enough; the thicker diff is in the way. Built a tool to remove the adjuster.

And here the new input shaft is installed!

Engine before. Look at that intake manifold. So restrictive. Have to change that out with one from a PD130 engine from Europe.

After

Test mounted the diesel bell housing to the adapter plate. This allows me to run the diesel bell housing but mount the engine at 15 or 20 degrees. Tim from Ultimate-engineering.co.uk sold me this adaptor. It is of extremely high quality!! Thank you Tim! Smile

Figured I might as well paint the transmission while I have it out.

I want to run AC eventually. The accessory bracket on this engine did not have a spot for the AC compressor. So, time to swap that out. Injection pump removed.

Loose injection pump. This is an 11mm pump as one calls it. Normally only found on automatic transmission TDIs. These push a bit more fuel.

Bracket removed.

New bracket installed, and pump is back on. Bracket was sand blasted and painted of course.

New timing belt, water pump, and rollers as well.

Since I am running an adapter that is 15mm thick, I have to space out the flywheel 15mm. All of these parts came from Tim from ultimate-engineering.co.uk. Here I installed the pilot bearing into the flywheel spacer.

Grinding down the heads of some passat flywheel bolts so that they fit. They also had to be trimmed to make them ~39mm long. Passat flywheel bolt part number: N90705901

Flywheel disassembly and installing modified passat bolts.

Bolts installed in the flywheel and through spacer; threadlocker added as well.

Flywheel installed and everything torqued down!!

AC compressor would hit the motor mount bracket that came with the engine..time to cut and weld.

Cut

Weld

Paint

Had to measure up and find an accessory belt that would run the alternator and AC, but no power steering pump. Here is the belt installed. The tensioner is in exactly the same spot, applying the same tension to the belt as it would've come from the factory this way.

Part number for those curious. Belt purchased at napa, but can be found on the internet as well.

Painted the engine bay…things are getting serious.

Engine and transmission finally had their official union. A match made in heaven.

Engine…who said engine?!

There she sits. A TDI engine mounted at 15 degrees with a diesel bell housing and DMF installed.

Well, that post summarizes most of what has been going on over the last few months. It also makes it all seem simple and straight forward…which was not the case. I had to make 3 round of flywheel bolts since I would install the flywheel, torque it down, and realize something was screwed up. First I used different bolts that were a tad too long and next it was the dust shield being mounted on the wrong side of the adapter. Lots of additional small things make projects take a long time, but the whole point is to enjoy the journey and not just the destination.

Until the next time!
OlisGarage
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2023 3:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Oli's 1981 Vanagon Westfalia TDI Build Reply with quote

Finished installing the shifter! New bushings from Vanagain. Also ended up just 3D printing the little rubber stop on the left side.

Transmission side

I also mounted the 1.5" coolant pipes. These are for a 2.1 Wasserboxer. Is it correct that the left pipe in this image stops so low?! I know I don't have the bracket holding the pipes to the body, but the string is holding the left pipe pretty firm.

OlisGarage
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2023 11:53 am    Post subject: Re: Oli's 1981 Vanagon Westfalia TDI Build Reply with quote

Cleaned and greased all of the CVs. The boots were almost new, so I decided to just leave them. If they rip again, I'll probably upgrade to some 944 CV's and some high quality boots from T3technique. CV joints and axles were also painted.

Greasy (but clean!!) CV:

Cork gasket installed between all flanges and CV joints. Only one gasket is pictured in the Bentley manual, but I installed them on both flanges. part number is 8D0407309 for those curious. FCP euro sells them for under $3 per gasket. Figured it can't hurt to keep all of the oily parts of the grease inside the flange.

And the axles installed.

I also was able to install a reman Bosch SR0408X starter and the associated adapter plate. In this picture a bolt is missing, but it is installed now. Now I just need to make an adapter wire from the new starter to the old style plug on the harness.

valvecovergasket
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2023 12:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Oli's 1981 Vanagon Westfalia TDI Build Reply with quote

Nice work!

For your coolant pipes for what it's worth I found using the diesel van set easier as it ended the pipes low down and horizontal, rather than sticking up which made it a more straightforward transition to the inline engine plumbing
That may not be as big of a deal with your setup at 15deg though as with it not laid over so far making that "front" of engine connection is probably less of a hassle regardless

gone, but not forgotten: '83 tdi westy - swap thread
ALIKA T3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2023 3:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Oli's 1981 Vanagon Westfalia TDI Build Reply with quote

Really nice work!

The cork gasket goes on for CV joints that are machined for it, the Vanagon CV joints are not, but some cheap aftermarket ones do have the machined recess for it.
AndyBees
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2023 3:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Oli's 1981 Vanagon Westfalia TDI Build Reply with quote

ALIKA T3 wrote:
Really nice work!

The cork gasket goes on for CV joints that are machined for it, the Vanagon CV joints are not, but some cheap aftermarket ones do have the machined recess for it.

Yes, you are correct. I've used CV Joints for a VW Quantum (87 in my case) that are machined for the gasket.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
OlisGarage
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2023 2:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Oli's 1981 Vanagon Westfalia TDI Build Reply with quote

AndyBees wrote:
ALIKA T3 wrote:
Really nice work!

Yes, you are correct. I've used CV Joints for a VW Quantum (87 in my case) that are machined for the gasket.

Thanks for the input Alika and Andy! I was curious why I never saw anyone talk about those gaskets, where in the mk1 community I've seen them quite a bit often.

Now just to debate what to do with the seals I have installed. Those axles are always a pain to remove and install. But probably less of a pain in my driveway on my own time than on the side of the road....

I also dug and found a photo for those lurking.

Here is a picture of a mk1 rabbit/golf CV which is also 100mm in diameter. (well actually I think it was starting with the mk2 generation when the axles went from 90mm to 100mm). However, this one clearly is machined to allow for a gasket unlike the vanagon CVs. I checked some old mk1 and mk2 axles that I have at home, and they were machined the same as in the picture.

However, interestingly enough the vanagon Bentley manual does show a picture on page 42.7 where one of the two cork seals is shown. However, I couldn't find it referenced anywhere else in the manual. Maybe it is; I didn't look that long.

ALIKA T3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2023 11:28 am    Post subject: Re: Oli's 1981 Vanagon Westfalia TDI Build Reply with quote

VW recycled a bunch of drawings in their manual, that's why.

The MK2 cv's are 33 splines?

It doesn't leak on a Vanagon, I'm not sure why some car models had it and others not. Maybe the grease got hotter and liquefied?

I'd rather not have the gasket, it's a pita to deal with...

If anybody wants free 100mm gaskets, I got a box of them, just pay shipping Laughing
4Gears4Tires
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2023 5:54 am    Post subject: Re: Oli's 1981 Vanagon Westfalia TDI Build Reply with quote

I tried quite a few times to install the gaskets as they came with the axles. I have given up trying to get them in place. I am just not patient or careful enough, especially on the front axles. I don't have any issues with grease leaking without them.
OlisGarage
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2023 8:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Oli's 1981 Vanagon Westfalia TDI Build Reply with quote

I wanted to upgrade the front disc brakes on the van. After searching for a while, I settled on the kit from epytec. This uses Audi A6 calipers and a 288mm disc which can fit inside of my 15 inch wheels. I really like my wheels and didn't want to spend another couple hundred getting new wheels and tires.
Kit: https://epytec.de/de/vw-t3-bus-bremssatteladapter-...remse-2083

Well, what I didn't know is that this brake kit is only for 1986 and newer spindles. It was not listed on the site, and at the time of ordering I did not fully realize the difference between the spindles over the years. The older style spindle can be rather easily converted to the newer style, it just requires a machine shop...! Luckily, I have a friend who is a machinist by trade.

Nate doing killer work machining my spindles to 18.12mm.

After the spindles are machined down, one needs to drill out the threaded hole. No where could I find the dimensions of this hole. However, in the 86 and newer spindles there is an m16 bolt that goes through this hole. An m16 bolt is normally drilled to 17mm according to charts on the internet. I went with a conservative 16.5mm drill bit to make a 16.5mm hole. This I did myself on my drill press.

Now that the spindles are all finished, it's time to press some bearings into the hub from the kit! This was much easier than drilling holes.

And the brakes are all installed! Don't worry, a samba post and video are coming on the topic. The only place I found the epytec kit discussed was on a German forum. https://www.bulliforum.com/viewtopic.php?p=635816&hilit=epytec#p635816

I found out that I needed some wheel spacers and longer studs to make everything fit. Ordered some high quality studs, 19mm lug nuts, and 3mm spacers from T3technique. Again, very nice products as expected!

The van now rolls!!! Here is shot of it being rolled from its parking pad in front of the garage bay which houses other neglected projects. First time it's rolled since Oct 2022.

I installed custom flexible brake lines as well. I can't remember the lengths off the top of my head, but will update when I find them. Now it was time to bleed the brake and clutch system! At this point I have rebuilt the clutch master, brake master, a new clutch salve, and new calipers all around. This system better work well...!!!!! The power bleeder ended up leaking at the connection with the reservoir. Not sure why, but I resorted to the manual pump with a buddy method.

Now that the brake system is pretty close to finished, it's time to get the cooling system finished.
Here I cut out a radiator shroud from some sheet steel that was laying around. I know this doesn't flow as much air as the original shroud, but it should be OK. the TDI is a pretty cool running engine. However...if someone wants to let a later year shroud with the three speed fan go, let me know. I'd be interested in one.

That's it for now. There are always a million small steps, measurements, and countless hours thinking that go into every step of the process.

Also, huge shoutout to forum member Wheely Applegate. He has two TDI swapped vanagons (multivan and doka) and has been an absolute resource fielding my phone calls and emails. Of course, thanks to everyone who has provided input here as well!
OlisGarage
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2023 8:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Oli's 1981 Vanagon Westfalia TDI Build Reply with quote

This is probably the best thread showing what to mill the front spindles to: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...p;start=20

There was another thread where someone mentioned 18.75mm thickness. I read so many threads, I can't find it again...but I remember the thickness discussion.
I told my buddy to keep it between 18 and 18.75mm upon which he told me that is the "Grand Canyon" for machinists! To say the least, he did a great job.
MarkWard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2023 9:21 am    Post subject: Re: Oli's 1981 Vanagon Westfalia TDI Build Reply with quote

Looks like good progress. Thanks for the update. I ended up buying the diesel oil pan adapter for my ALH from Tim at ultimate engineering. We emailed back and forth. The question we could not resolve was if the ALH compressor and bracket would clear the pan adapter and the original diesel oil pan.

I have the adapter, but have decided to trial fit to my spare engine rather than find out on our running van. Problem is my spare engine is still in the donor Golf. If it doesn’t fit out of the box, I am hoping I can make the room. If for some reason I can’t use the adapter, Tim said he’d help resell it to someone here in the US. They don’t really worry about AC in the UK.

When you go to do the AC, I found compressor hose adapters and had to disable the internal compressor bypass valve to work with my AC system. Reach out to me when you get to that point. Probably in my notes. Until I found a vanagon cruise stalk, I used a Jetta one. If I had to choose, cruise is more important than AC, but can’t live without either now.
OlisGarage
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2023 10:23 am    Post subject: Re: Oli's 1981 Vanagon Westfalia TDI Build Reply with quote

Thank you Mark!
Oohh thank you also for the update! I’d be really interested in hearing if that works. His adapter plate was of the best quality that I’ve seen in a long time. I’m sure your oil pan adapter is similar.

I eventually want to add AC. This was a non-AC van originally. But…that is farther down the road. I definitely will be reaching out. I’ll have to get creative with the adapters because the compressor outlets are mighty close to the motor mount. What AC system are you using? In dash or the original vanagon?

Thanks for the tip on cruise. Funny enough, I have an old cabriolet stalk in my collection of parts. It looks to be about 1 inch shorter than the vanagon stalk currently mounted. Big steering wheel stuff maybe from the earlier vans? Other people would know better.
Im either going to run the mk2 stalk or just wire up a switch and button. The harness I received with the project from David at FastForward is set up for cruise. I don’t like the accel function on my mk4 alh jetta though..it’s super aggressive compared to more modern cruise. So I probably will just use the “set” button. Cruise is definitely a must in my books. AC will come.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 3 of 6

Jump to: