Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Cooling & Oil Cooler Question
Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
nthang
Sambassador

PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2004 8:53 am    Post subject: Cooling & Oil Cooler Question Reply with quote

My engine is a 135hp 1915cc with about 2500 miles on it. It still runs hot after its on the highway at 55 or above for 10 minutes or more. I drive on the roads and highways most often. It runs at 220 deg. f. according to the oil temp gauge. I run a stock thing transmission. Some say that I need to install a higher 4th gear to get it to run cooler and increase the top end. I would like it to run under 200 deg. f. at 65 or 70mph.

I've been wondering if one of those add-on oil coolers would get my engine temp under 200. BTW, the engine is perfectly tuned and timed (by a pro just recently).....still running hot on the highway. What do you thingers think???
TimGud
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2004 1:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's just one opinion but I have seen alot of vw's with oil coolers lose all the oil when a line breaks. I am not a fan of oil coolers unless hydraulic lines are made for it at a hydraulic shop. An easier fix would be to buy a type 4 or late model type 2 (2 liter) oil cooler install it and modify the doghouse ductwork to fit. It's about an inch wider than the stock type 1 oil cooler and cools alot better and it would look stock.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
germansupplyscott
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2004 4:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nthang,

i don't think running at 220 consistently is necessarily a big problem. where i would be worried is if the temperature goes past 220 and keeps climbing. what i mean is if you can run all day at 65-70 mph and the oil temp will stay at 220, then the oil cooling system is stable and working. you might prefer 200 over 220, but the engine will be fine with good quality oil at 220.

it is true that the oil temps should drop with taller gearing, all else being equal. oil temp is very much rpm dependant. there are some other areas you can look at to reduce the temperature. experiment with oil weights. in some cases lighter weight oil may give you lower temperature, especially if you have a a heavy duty oil pump, whereby you are overhwhelming the stock bypass system. some people also see slightly lower oil temps with different oilbrands, especially changing from conventional oil to full synthetic.
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2004 11:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nthang,

My car was running at 220 and now runs at 180 after adding a full flow cooling system with an inline thermostat. Yes, it works. But like germansupplyscott said, 220 is not a big deal as long as your temps don't jump beyond that.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: