Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

A Schwimmwagen named "ilsa"
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - Split-Window/1938-53 VWs Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
54bugn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2023 11:09 am    Post subject: Re: A Schwimmwagen named "ilsa" Reply with quote

Hello all, thanks for the replies. Cyberdyne systems 101 I have a bit of a slowdown on the body work as I need warmer temps to complete the under body work before I flip it for the last time.

Heimlich it is a great way to keep busy. It didn’t come with any propellor components but I have since obtained all the bits and pieces to make a complete propellor assembly from Italy and Austria. Other than working on the mount for it, I haven’t delved into that portion yet. Stay tuned.

Cheers,
Mike

54 European Sedan deluxe
Build thread: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=414940
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
52 split
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2023 8:56 pm    Post subject: Re: A Schwimmwagen named "ilsa" Reply with quote

Yeah,not much heat working in a seacan. but it was 5 degrees celsius today.
Kryn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2023 8:19 pm    Post subject: Re: A Schwimmwagen named "ilsa" Reply with quote

Hi Mike, I found your project postings.
You must have froze working on it today!
So impressive to see all your attention to details! A work of art. Good talking to you today and will be watching for more progress.
KZee
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
54bugn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2023 9:02 pm    Post subject: Re: A Schwimmwagen named "ilsa" Reply with quote

Hey guys, despite the continuing unusually cold temperatures, with the assistance of my generator and heaters, I managed to get up to the container and get some more edges sealed the front shield bonded and temporarily screwed on and the entire bottom side painted. At +10 Celsius it takes longer to cure everything, but should dry flat (why the paint looks shiny). I will check in in a couple of days to make sure everything cured properly. I will take updated pics next. I will be flipping the body right side up soon.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Stay tuned.

Mike

54 European Sedan deluxe
54bugn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2023 5:33 pm    Post subject: Re: A Schwimmwagen named "ilsa" Reply with quote

Hello all, a last update for a bit unfortunately, I won’t be having much to update until April. Went back up and checked on my paint and bonding job and all went well. My buddy Dave gave me a hand and we flipped the body on its side. So had to take a couple of pics, hope you enjoy.

Take care and enjoy, talk soon.

Mike

54 European Sedan deluxe
cyberdyne systems 101
Sambanator

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2023 10:53 pm    Post subject: Re: A Schwimmwagen named "ilsa" Reply with quote

Thanks for sharing the progress Mike, look forward to April when you can properly dig into this build again.

56' Oval
71' Westy
54bugn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2023 1:35 pm    Post subject: Re: A Schwimmwagen named "ilsa" Reply with quote

Hello again, back with more info.

Not a huge update but was a lot of work for me. We have moved and the Schwimmwagen project has a new permanent home. I now have it upright, sitting on two Dolly’s for easy moving, and the main frame is back inside but not bolted down yet. Still have more work on the nose of the car, more reshaping, and then final fibreglass work. But I did get a bit of work done on the front shield/splash guard adding the dimpling and bolting it on. When I get home again, I will be sanding and painting it for the final time.

In the meantime a couple of pictures to tide you over.

Talk soon,
Mike

54 European Sedan deluxe
cyberdyne systems 101
Sambanator

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2023 2:01 pm    Post subject: Re: A Schwimmwagen named "ilsa" Reply with quote

Thanks for the update, looking forward to seeing the fibreglass going on.

56' Oval
71' Westy
54bugn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2023 8:36 pm    Post subject: Re: A Schwimmwagen named "ilsa" Reply with quote

Hello all, I have been busy acquiring more bits and pieces for the build but have also started back into some work to move towards finishing this thing. I attach a few pics of my front valance now finished, and a couple of pics compared to an original Schwimmwagen.

More to come soon,
Mike

54 European Sedan deluxe
54bugn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2023 8:18 pm    Post subject: Re: A Schwimmwagen named "ilsa" Reply with quote

More progress today. Engineered and built a way to attach the spare tire with three original wheel nuts. I am working on filling and sanding the exterior cut lines I made on the front, as well. I also test fitted the headlights. These steps are important so I can properly design the forward edge under the tire.

More to come soon,

Mike

54 European Sedan deluxe
54bugn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2023 9:20 pm    Post subject: Re: A Schwimmwagen named "ilsa" Reply with quote

Hello all, more progress on the fibreglass work on the front end over the last couple of days. I ground the lower section of the spare wheel well on an angle to near the upper section, then filled the gaps with expandable foam, as seen in picture 1. After drying, cutting and shaping the foam I fibreglassed over top of the spare wheel well area and the sides. Pictures 2 and 3. Then the sanding starts all over again picture 4. Off to work again for a couple of weeks, but will be back at the smoothing and reshaping of the nose of this Schwimmwagen replica.

Stay tuned,
Mike

54 European Sedan deluxe
54bugn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 17, 2023 10:12 pm    Post subject: Re: A Schwimmwagen named "ilsa" Reply with quote

Hello all, spent more time finishing the sanding and filling of the sides of the nose and around the spare wheel well, and managed to get it pretty smooth. Put a first coat of paint on it tonight looks pretty good even if I do say so myself. Will sand the first coat a bit then spray a second tomorrow. Next up is extending and strengthening the nose closer to original.

Stay tuned,
Mike

54 European Sedan deluxe
cyberdyne systems 101
Sambanator

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2023 12:11 am    Post subject: Re: A Schwimmwagen named "ilsa" Reply with quote

That's really starting to take shape now, good work.

56' Oval
71' Westy
54bugn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2023 2:22 pm    Post subject: Re: A Schwimmwagen named "ilsa" Reply with quote

Hello all, another update on the front end of this replica Schwimmwagen.

So I crawled up in the nose of this thing and temporarily installed two steel tubes that I bent to match the shape of the fiberglass body. Then I bent and cut holes for the same diameter steel tubing on the outside of the nose that I then welded to the two tubes inside the nose. Next up filling the required shape on the front of the nose with foam insulation. Once shaped I then welded the two steel tubes that will support the front bumper tube. Next up fiberglassing the nose. That’s as far as I got this past time home. Pictures below in order of work. More updates when I am back in a couple of weeks.

Cheers,
Mike

54 European Sedan deluxe
maplesyrup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2023 11:13 pm    Post subject: Re: A Schwimmwagen named "ilsa" Reply with quote

Enjoying this, good work Thumbs Up
54bugn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2023 4:13 pm    Post subject: Re: A Schwimmwagen named "ilsa" Reply with quote

Thank you maplesyrup, glad you are enjoying the build.

So in the past two weeks I managed to get a lot more accomplished and I will fill you all in what I have been up to.

I finally finished the reshaping of the nose of the Schwimmwagen, it’s not perfect but is better than it was.

Next up was shaping the steel tubing for around the nose. I used a 12 ton tube bender, filled the tube with sand and bent it to shape using a highly suspect arrangement! (Glad it worked and didn’t fall) Then I used a hammer and anvil to shape the ends where they mount to the fenders.

Here it is welded to the two support tubes and attached to the fenders, after painting.

Next up I mounted my two headlights and added my (unfurtunately required) front turn signals. I mounted the horn and made my own Notek light mount out of 18 gauge steel to fit between the forward tube and the hull. Painted it all grey as well. It may seem I am adding items ahead of time, but I need to get these items mounted so I can run the wiring and seal the entrances while I have access into the nose area.

Next up I was trying to recreate the metal body seams on a fiberglass body. After considering the problem for some time, I finally ended up bonding sealing and painting beetle pop-out window seals that I cut to shape. I think they recreate the look quite well. Pictures below before painting them.

I then made the steel side bars that attaché between the front and rear fenders on both sides along with the centre supports. I had to take the body out of the garage to swap sides so I could work in the opposite side. It got to see the sun.

I also decided to finish painting thr the whole body grey and also added the shovel mounts and the rear Notek/ paddle mount and painted them as well.

Lastly I made the steel mounting plate for the tripod mount on the rear deck and also made a steel add on plate to the dashboard so I could weld in the serial number. (No pic of this)

Next time I will get the paddle temporarily mounted, and start working on putting the front suspension beam back in and getting the body fixed to the frame.

Stay tuned,
Thanks,
Mike

54 European Sedan deluxe
TRS63
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2023 9:58 pm    Post subject: Re: A Schwimmwagen named "ilsa" Reply with quote

Huge progress here, keep up the good work!
Antoine
My 914 restoration&lightweight project :
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=9698432#9698432
Resurrecting a 60 ghia : https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=713906
My 52 Standard Zwitter :
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=10086685#10086685
cyberdyne systems 101
Sambanator

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2023 10:04 pm    Post subject: Re: A Schwimmwagen named "ilsa" Reply with quote

Great update, looks good with all the extra parts added, it'll be in the water in no time at all!

56' Oval
71' Westy
54bugn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2023 11:22 am    Post subject: Re: A Schwimmwagen named "ilsa" Reply with quote

Thanks for the reply’s folks. So off we go again.

Installed and painted the right rear light and mount assembly.

So both rear lights in place now and wires run inside the body.

I also mounted the paddle front clip (an original) and fitted the paddle. As well I installed the two (fake on this one) Jack points.

Next up I had to manufacture the two rear hook mounting spots. I made them out of square steel tubing and steel round stock. With a lot of beating and welding I think they turned out ok. I mounted them through two internal steel
Plates which will be welded to an internal frame work in the future.

Just a few photos to see where we are now, out in the sun.

That’s it for external pieces for now. I finally took some time to clean up modify, weld and paint the front beam. Then it was time to reinstall it. It is mounted and sealed solid to the body with two thick fiberglass plates each side, as you can see in the final pic.

Next time I will finish mounting the chassis to the body in the back and continue installing interior pieces in the nose. Hope to have front wheels on this in a couple of months. Take care , Mike

54 European Sedan deluxe
cyberdyne systems 101
Sambanator

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2023 11:55 am    Post subject: Re: A Schwimmwagen named "ilsa" Reply with quote

Really great progress. Love those hook mounts you've made

56' Oval
71' Westy
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Split-Window/1938-53 VWs All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5

Jump to: