Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Stock exhaust or replace header/muffler setup currently on bus?
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
ozark23
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2022 9:41 am    Post subject: Stock exhaust or replace header/muffler setup currently on bus? Reply with quote

OK; so my header pipe cracked.....
do I go stock 1600 exhaust
or replace the header/muffler

Stock 1600 motor,
what are pros/cons.

Thanks.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2022 1:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Stock exhaust or replace header/muffler setup currently on bus? Reply with quote

If you want a more reliable and longer lasting muffler, then stock is the way to go if you buy one of quality. 1776cc and perhaps a bit bigger engine with 1500/1600 stock muffler is fine for daily driving. Stock muffler will give you more torque for climbing hills.

Header is only going to the bus sound different from stock, more likely louder which can tire you out more on longer trips, and add little to none power increase for a stock 1600 engine.

Headers really are for bigger engines, balanced with bigger valves and dual and/or bigger carburetor/s. Problem with that is one can go so far over to the higher HP engine, that torque at lower RPMs suffers. Meaning one has to drag race the bus off each stop to be able to get it going and avoid stalling. Knew a fellow year ago that built his high HP dream engine and about 6 months later he was trading off the expensive high HP engine parts off for stock ones. He was sick and tired of not having the torque that a bus really needs.

Personally we are running a 1641cc SP engine with CW crank with now over 150,000 miles on that engine since last rebuild. Have always used a quality stock 1500/1600 muffler on it. So many folk are so surprised about how quite our bus is inside and out, not only at idle, but when running down the road.
johny__utah
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2022 1:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Stock exhaust or replace header/muffler setup currently on bus? Reply with quote

Stock 100%. I would love to run a stock 1500/1600 on my 1776 with dual Scat 35mm carbs.. I honestly have never tried it but was told years ago it wouldn't work. Any feedback on that @ Eric&Barb?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ozark23
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2022 1:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Stock exhaust or replace header/muffler setup currently on bus? Reply with quote

Thx E&B you always have great responses....
bus has had this header exhaust on it for the 16 years I have owned it....
but low end torque has always been an issue.....
Going to try stock....Thx so much!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2022 4:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Stock exhaust or replace header/muffler setup currently on bus? Reply with quote

johny__utah wrote:
Stock 100%. I would love to run a stock 1500/1600 on my 1776 with dual Scat 35mm carbs.. I honestly have never tried it but was told years ago it wouldn't work. Any feedback on that @ Eric&Barb?

If you are running stock valved heads, stock muffler should work. See if you can find a good used stock muffler for little $$ and try it out. We picked up two used 1500/1600 mufflers this Summer for $35 each at the swap meets, one with even the dampener and the other missing that. Both probably have less than 5,000 miles on each.

Next engine for our old 1960 panel walk thru camper conversion will try dual carbs.

Last edited by Eric&Barb on Mon Sep 12, 2022 5:01 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
69aircooled
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2022 4:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Stock exhaust or replace header/muffler setup currently on bus? Reply with quote

Yes, quality stock mufflers are quiet and less prone to higher maintenance that you run into with header systems. They work better to keep the intake warm making the engine run better. I have run a stock muffler on our ‘63 bus for years, it’s a 1641.
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2022 5:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Stock exhaust or replace header/muffler setup currently on bus? Reply with quote

ozark23 wrote:

Glad to help! When you change to a stock muffler it would be a good time to rejet the carb to get the most out of the engine and get best longevity.
Murt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2022 12:47 am    Post subject: Re: Stock exhaust or replace header/muffler setup currently on bus? Reply with quote

This is very interesting. I'm also thinking of replacing my old exhaust system with the stock unit on my stock single carb 1600cc AD engine.

Currently have the Empi dual quiet pack fitted, it's seen better days, and was recently painted again just to make it look a bit better. If going 'Stock' how do the Vintage Speed Stainless stock exhausts stack up ?
2017 Golf GTD saloon
2008 VW EOS 2.0 TFSi
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2022 1:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Stock exhaust or replace header/muffler setup currently on bus? Reply with quote

Murt wrote:

Currently have the Empi dual quiet pack fitted, it's seen better days, and was recently painted again just to make it look a bit better. If going 'Stock' how do the Vintage Speed Stainless stock exhausts stack up ?

Good question!! Up till now have just stuck with stock bus muffler, because just like going to a nation or worldwide fast food place. You just know (for the most part) what you are going to get.... Plus till not too long ago one could easily get a new or NOS complete muffler for less than $100 out at the swap meets, those stocks are quickly drying up.

Thinking this SS muffler would be better than the Vintage Speed due to having working heat riser pipes. Now on back to school sale for less than $400:

https://www2.cip1.com/c31-251-001-050/

Yes it is for type 1, but easy to make a plug to fit in the RH tailpipe port, not that much harder to make a SS tailpipe for the LH side. Plus that way the muffler could be used on either type 1 or 2. Also making up a set of the heater bubbles out of SS to keep up the heating system. Problem with SS is one should not mix in steel against SS, because that will cause corrosion of the SS parts. Reason SS is so resistant to corrosion is due to it coats itself with a layer of oxidized SS and that layer does not flake off like steel does. So any iron oxide on SS will cut thru the oxide coating the SS, causing it to quickly corrode thru.
ozark23
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2022 3:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Stock exhaust or replace header/muffler setup currently on bus? Reply with quote

Ok. New exhaust is in. Carbs tuned
Sounds so much quieter
But
I did find a hole in the intake pipe.
Can i JB weld & exhaust wrap this for temp fix??
I just wanna go camping

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2022 3:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Stock exhaust or replace header/muffler setup currently on bus? Reply with quote

If it's just that single hole I'd use a worm style hose clamp to hold a bit of header wrap or wood stove gasket over it.
Farmer approved fix! Wink

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
ozark23
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2022 4:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Stock exhaust or replace header/muffler setup currently on bus? Reply with quote

busdaddy wrote:
If it's just that single hole I'd use a worm style hose clamp to hold a bit of header wrap or wood stove gasket over it.
Farmer approved fix! Wink

This is the Redneck fix that I am looking for. Function over fashion! thx
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2022 10:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Stock exhaust or replace header/muffler setup currently on bus? Reply with quote

Might be a good time to pick up a monoxide detector..... Just to CYA.
ozark23
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2022 7:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Stock exhaust or replace header/muffler setup currently on bus? Reply with quote

Ok
Next ?
New stock exhaust is in.
Sounds great. Idles great.
Take off for test drive.
Big loss of power and backfires thru 2nd gear.
Ran ok in 3rd.
Do I need to rejet it, etc? Thx
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2022 8:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Stock exhaust or replace header/muffler setup currently on bus? Reply with quote

Eric&Barb wrote:
ozark23 wrote:

Glad to help! When you change to a stock muffler it would be a good time to rejet the carb to get the most out of the engine and get best longevity.

Anytime one changes the air cleaner or muffler jetting must be adjusted.
ozark23
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2022 5:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Stock exhaust or replace header/muffler setup currently on bus? Reply with quote

so....................apparently having the driver side spark wires reversed will cause your bus to run not so great. Rolling Eyes
Working in the dark and NOT checking my work.
Running 110% better now.
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2022 5:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Stock exhaust or replace header/muffler setup currently on bus? Reply with quote

ozark23 wrote:
so....................apparently having the driver side spark wires reversed will cause your bus to run not so great. Rolling Eyes
Working in the dark and NOT checking my work.
Running 110% better now.

Snort, snort, snort..... Laughing

Still sounding nice and quiet??
ozark23
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2022 6:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Stock exhaust or replace header/muffler setup currently on bus? Reply with quote

Yes. So nice & quiet
Lowest noise level in my bus
In 17 years.
Thx for all the help. Time for OKC VW show
And camping
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2022 7:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Stock exhaust or replace header/muffler setup currently on bus? Reply with quote

ozark23 wrote:
Yes. So nice & quiet
Lowest noise level in my bus
In 17 years.
Thx for all the help. Time for OKC VW show
And camping

Looking forward to an update on how it works for you on the trip!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: