Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

6v with okrasa
Forum Index -> Vintage Speed Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
gingerporsche
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2022 6:49 am    Post subject: 6v with okrasa Reply with quote

Hi, just wondering if most are still running 6v with an okrasa engine,
Mines just been newly built with ww okrasa crank-cam-top end kit plus new barrels and pistons etc..
Now finding it turns over a lot slower to start than when it was standard!
Is everyone else’s similar?
Bub
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2022 9:59 am    Post subject: Re: 6v with okrasa Reply with quote

Check your timing first, that can be one thing that makes the engine turn over slow. And then the usual stuff.
When I had that problem I crawl underneath and jump the starter. If it still cranks slow it's the starter. If it cranks decent it's wiring, ground, switch etc..

In my case it was the starter and I got a super cheap one from Rockauto, 4 years on and it's still great.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
PeteSC
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2022 5:19 am    Post subject: Re: 6v with okrasa Reply with quote

Mine is still 6v and cranks over fine. As mentioned check your timing (they like a lot - at least 32* max, possibly higher if your jetting allows), grounds, etc. I did add a hard start relay some time ago which greatly improved the starter performance.
Redlabel6
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2022 6:04 am    Post subject: Re: 6v with okrasa Reply with quote

NAPA has rebuilt 6volt starters for $66.29 online. I picked up one for my '57, it was a Bosch.
d
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
gingerporsche
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2022 11:10 am    Post subject: Re: 6v with okrasa Reply with quote

Thanks chaps, Think it maybe time for a new battery as I’m not sure how old it is! any recommendations?and what capacity (ah) etc
All earths and wiring all look good..
Braukuche
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2022 11:52 am    Post subject: Re: 6v with okrasa Reply with quote

gingerporsche wrote:
Thanks chaps, Think it maybe time for a new battery as I’m not sure how old it is! any recommendations?and what capacity (ah) etc
All earths and wiring all look good..

Make sure you use 2 gauge battery cables makes a big difference.

Retirement is here!
1956 Ghia
1959 SO-23 Westfalia
1960 double cab
1960 Baja Bug
1963 stretched double cab
1962 Golde sunroof Ghia
1963 356 B coupe
1963 Notchback
1967 21 window less rusty now
1973 Ghia convertible
Mr. Mike Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2022 8:11 am    Post subject: Re: 6v with okrasa Reply with quote

On a sedan, I run a longer bolt (so it extends beyond the pan) under the seat for the negative ground and then run an additional cable from that bolt (with a nut) to the ground on the starter.
Cheers!
scotty timmerman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2022 4:21 pm    Post subject: Re: 6v with okrasa Reply with quote

Optima 6volt battery. Turns over my 74x83 1602cc okrasa engine.
73 super beetle
57 oval: build thread: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=8616563#8616563
63 beetle reassembly: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=7458619#7458619
2332cc engine build: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=8608429&highlight=#8608429
84 vanagon westfalia wolfsburg edition
gingerporsche
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2022 1:41 pm    Post subject: Re: 6v with okrasa Reply with quote

Thanks chaps, but think I’ve sorted it!
Cleaned all connections and replaced the earth on the battery an now turning over loads better 👌🏻
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2022 11:28 am    Post subject: Re: 6v with okrasa Reply with quote

gingerporsche wrote:
Thanks chaps, but think I’ve sorted it!
Cleaned all connections and replaced the earth on the battery an now turning over loads better 👌🏻

Also clean the surfaces between the starter and transaxle where they mate together and same for the starter to starter solenoid. Those grounds need to be CLEAN and DIELECTRIC GREASED to get the most out of the starter.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2022 2:12 am    Post subject: Re: 6v with okrasa Reply with quote

No issues with mine. Clean grounds, fresh cables and added a hot start relay to enhance starting.
Lingwendil
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2022 11:01 am    Post subject: Re: 6v with okrasa Reply with quote

I've never found the need to run a hot start relay on any vehicle that has clean connections.

Modify your Kadrons for SVDA http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=8115884#8115884

Cast iron VJU4BR8 SVDA reference thread- https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...mp;start=0

Need replacement filters for original Kadron aircleaners? WIX #42087 is a perfect fit, as is Napa Gold #2087!
PeteSC
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2022 1:25 pm    Post subject: Re: 6v with okrasa Reply with quote

Getting a bit off topic here, but I like the idea of not running the full starting amp load through my hard-to-find lowlight ignition switch, and instead through the more easily replaceable relay, so I run one, even with my meticulously cleaned and dialectric-greased connection points. Smile
Bub
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2022 4:24 pm    Post subject: Re: 6v with okrasa Reply with quote

Lingwendil wrote:
I've never found the need to run a hot start relay on any vehicle that has clean connections.

Same here. Except that I actually did install one not long ago on my 54' that was cranking slow. Wasn't long before my brain said:
bubs Brain wrote:
Want to rethink that relay thing? You shouldn't need it."

Swapped the starter and haven't needed it since. They are just a band-aid for a problem, but band-aids aren't always bad temporarily.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2022 12:20 am    Post subject: Re: 6v with okrasa Reply with quote

In addition to running a hot relay, I fabbed new 2 gauge cables, redid all grounds with larger diameter wire, added discreet relays to the headlight,fog light, wiper circuits and replaced light bulbs with LED units. My goal was to preserve as much of the original wiring and switches as possible and prevent any catastrophic electrical failures. Engine cranks effortlessly. Don't think of it as a bandaid... more of an improvement over a primitive design.
gsthomas
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2024 9:07 am    Post subject: Re: 6v with okrasa Reply with quote

The compression on my latest Okrasa build is higher so the stock-size 6V battery sometimes struggled. I upgraded to a higher capacity Optima battery and no issues since then. Also run current through relay and make sure no corrosion on both sides of the loop from battery to starter.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vintage Speed All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: