Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

67 bus brake lights out
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
gravee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2022 6:07 pm    Post subject: 67 bus brake lights out Reply with quote

Hey there. My brake lights stopped working recently and I am a little stumped. Rear turn signals work fine. Test light on MC glows with the brake pedal down. When I test light the electric wires coming from the MC in the engine side no light when brakes depressed. Is there a fuse in line? I guess the wire could be bad but seems unlikely. Added a wire harness 10 years back. Kind of new all things considered. I put in a new to me OEM headlight switch a couple months ago. All worked well. Had high and low beams again. That was nice. Now the switch does go back to low beams. But at least the switch works for my high beams. Not sure it is related but wonder?

Would love to hear some troubleshooting thoughts.

Matt
BarryL Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2022 6:37 pm    Post subject: Re: 67 bus brake lights out Reply with quote

Both prongs on the master switch only glow? The hot side should be full force. If it is then jumper the switch prongs and see what happens in the back.

What year bus wiring?
gravee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2022 8:33 am    Post subject: Re: 67 bus brake lights out Reply with quote

67 wiring. Thanks will try that later
BarryL Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2022 6:23 pm    Post subject: Re: 67 bus brake lights out Reply with quote

gravee wrote:
67 wiring.

'67 is different in a few ways. See if you have power at the second fuse from the right. Then check at the master cylinder. There are twin redundant switches there but check both on the hot side and then both on the brake pressed side.

Then the power goes inside the 9-pin relay box. From there it goes into the turn stalk. So check the first parts first then tell what you get.
gravee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2022 5:36 am    Post subject: Re: 67 bus brake lights out Reply with quote

I have power at fuse 2

Under bus, key on, nothing to brake switches (think this is normal)

Brake depressed power to both brake switches and all four total prongs light up.
telford dorr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2022 8:40 am    Post subject: Re: 67 bus brake lights out Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

When you're dead, you don't know you're dead. The pain is only felt by others.
Same thing happens when you're stupid. - Philippe Geluck
More VW electrical at http://telforddorr.com/ (available 9am to 9pm PST)
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
johny__utah
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2022 9:05 am    Post subject: Re: 67 bus brake lights out Reply with quote

Check the connector behind your light switch. #58
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
srfndoc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2022 10:17 am    Post subject: Re: 67 bus brake lights out Reply with quote

I had to run a secondary ground as the tail lights were not grounding to the body very well. That fixed all of my issues.

I ran an extra pigtail to the ground tab on the back up lights but there are many ways to do it:

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

gravee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2022 10:38 am    Post subject: Re: 67 bus brake lights out Reply with quote

In the diagram is F or J the light switch? I am not seeing a 58 on a switch.

Was I incorrect that if the wires that come off the MC switches that heads to the rear of the bus are hot when the pedal is pushed then the wires that attach to the brake lights should be hot unless there is a break in the circuit in between?

What happens between the switches and the brake lights? It looks like the run through "J" then the turn signal switches before it heads backwards.

If the switches work, then I check 54 on "J" and then go to 54 on "G" turn signal switch. I need to pen that up to test?
gravee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2022 10:45 am    Post subject: Re: 67 bus brake lights out Reply with quote

Also, correct that if I took a test light to the wires coming back to the brake lights and someone depressed the pedal that would rule out a grounding issue if there was no light? (Assuming I ground the test light well Smile
Erik G
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2022 11:45 am    Post subject: Re: 67 bus brake lights out Reply with quote

gravee wrote:
Also, correct that if I took a test light to the wires coming back to the brake lights and someone depressed the pedal that would rule out a grounding issue if there was no light? (Assuming I ground the test light well Smile

you can just take the wires off each switch at a time, tape them together, the lights shoul light up (including your test light). Then put the wires back on the switch, repeat with the other switch
johny__utah
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2022 12:03 pm    Post subject: Re: 67 bus brake lights out Reply with quote

I believe this is the wrong wiring diagram.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
BarryL Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2022 2:19 pm    Post subject: Re: 67 bus brake lights out Reply with quote

gravee wrote:
I have power at fuse 2

Under bus, key on, nothing to brake switches (think this is normal)

Brake depressed power to both brake switches and all four total prongs light up.

Yes to all with key "on". For all these tests disconnect the wire that goes from your coil to the distributor.

gravee wrote:
In the diagram is F or J the light switch? I am not seeing a 58 on a switch.

F. They just want to be sure you have good power at D. I think that part is fine.

gravee wrote:
Was I incorrect that if the wires that come off the MC switches that heads to the rear of the bus are hot when the pedal is pushed then the wires that attach to the brake lights should be hot unless there is a break in the circuit in between?

Correct that you weren't incorrect. The "break" is the items in the circuit that it takes to get to the rear.

gravee wrote:
What happens between the switches and the brake lights? It looks like the run through "J" then the turn signal switches before it heads backwards.

If the switches work, then I check 54 on "J" and then go to 54 on "G" turn signal switch.

Yes to all except add 54F on J.

gravee wrote:
I need to pen that up to test?

Not sure what this means "to pen".

gravee wrote:

No to the ground. If no power then problem is upstream. If power and bulb not lighting then bad ground or burned out. This is assuming that the test light is fully illuminating for each test at the rear.
gravee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2022 4:46 pm    Post subject: Re: 67 bus brake lights out Reply with quote

Thank you all so much. This is so helpful.

To be sure, All tests should be done with pedal pressed, right?

Is "J" the big relay box on the floor behind the kick board? Will test 54, but assume If 54F is hot then both work?

I haven't looked, but I don't remember screws on the turn signal box to access the wires to test. Maybe on the bottom?

Are those inline fuses coming out of the turn signal switch heading back to the brake lights? "T1"

The turn signal switch that clicks high/low beams did not switch forever. It was always on high beams (sadly,no one could even tell with these old lights or where they point) I recently replaced my head light switch with an old one that worked. This fixed the high/low switching things- that was unexpected and fun. Now they are not switching again after a couple months. Looking at the wire diagram, the headlight switch has no relation to the turn signal switch other than sending power to D which works, so issue in the turn signal switch.

Thanks for all the help
BarryL Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2022 6:52 pm    Post subject: Re: 67 bus brake lights out Reply with quote

gravee wrote:
To be sure, All tests should be done with pedal pressed, right?

Or tape one brake light switches wires together.

gravee wrote:
Is "J" the big relay box on the floor behind the kick board? Will test 54, but assume If 54F is hot then both work?

Yes to box. No don't assume.

gravee wrote:
I haven't looked, but I don't remember screws on the turn signal box to access the wires to test. Maybe on the bottom?

On the end I think but I can look tomorrow.

gravee wrote:
Are those inline fuses coming out of the turn signal switch heading back to the brake lights? "T1"

Those should be connectors not fuses.
gravee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2022 6:11 am    Post subject: Re: 67 bus brake lights out Reply with quote

Wow. Woke up early. Taped brake wires together. Key on. Nothing. Cleaned up contacts while I was at it.

Tested 54 and 54f. Both lit up with brake wires taped and key on. Good. Looked around for anything loose. Nothing but felt good to check

Went to test turn signal gizmo. Screws stripped to disassemble. Doh. I unscrewed a screw that was slightly loose that stops the whole turn signal assembly from moving and twisting when used. Tightened back up. Feeling deflated for not knowing how to test turn signal assembly without taking it apart. Don't have a replacement either

Tested brake lights once more and THEY WORKED.

Hmmm. Was it tightening the screw on turn signal assembly that held it to column? Maybe a ground there. Wiggling and tightening wires on fuze box and 9 pin box? All very odd.

At least I can drive it today.

My turn signal assembly is OG or at least 27 years old and before I owned the bus but has little Phillips screws that were stripped. Any ideas on how to get those out short of drilling? Replacement screws there might be hard to find.

Anyways. I will call this a minor victory for all of us for now. Thanks so much.
telford dorr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2022 9:10 am    Post subject: Re: 67 bus brake lights out Reply with quote

Sounds like flaky wires at turn switch. Disassemble and check with test light. Re-solder as needed. If you have an OG turn switch, clean it up and repair it. The new [large east asian country] switches aren't worth crap.

Turn switch screws are M4-0.7, 12mm long, filster head.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
gravee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2022 9:18 am    Post subject: Re: 67 bus brake lights out Reply with quote

Thanks Telford. Any thoughts on how to get the pretty stripped screws out of the turn signal switch?
BarryL Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2022 1:44 pm    Post subject: Re: 67 bus brake lights out Reply with quote

Glad your brake lights work. Sorry for the stripped screws.

I was going to say next time I came on was that you should take the plastic end handle of a medium screw driver and tap on the 9-pin box as well as the turn switch first. A lot of time it works for a while.

The little screws stripped because you have to remove both of the screws that hold the turn switch to the column. Then remove the little screws. If your turn signals and brake lights are working now you can just leave the stripped screws alone and see how it goes.

gravee wrote:
My turn signal assembly... has little Phillips screws that were stripped.

Sounds like someone already did a fix before you.

If you ever want to get the stripped screws out then remove the column clamp and push in on the turn lever while you turn the little screws while holding the cover. Replace them with the next size up fine thread and it may even be an SAE vs metric screw.
telford dorr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2022 10:44 am    Post subject: Re: 67 bus brake lights out Reply with quote

gravee wrote:
Thanks Telford. Any thoughts on how to get the pretty stripped screws out of the turn signal switch?

Being phillips heads, I drilled the heads until they fell off, allowing the housing to be removed from the column, and the switch from the housing. I then carefully removed the remaining studs with penetrating oil and vice-grips.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: