Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Force radiator fan to cool transmission cooler
Forum Index -> Eurovan Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kozmob
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2022 2:35 pm    Post subject: Force radiator fan to cool transmission cooler Reply with quote

After some classic transmission issues, I had a transmission cooler installed on my ’99 EVC. According to my ScanGauge, the cooler doesn’t always keep the ATF cool. I travel a lot on Forest Service type roads - slow and steep – and the temp gets high; at times over 220. Slowing down doesn’t seem to help; I’m already going less than 25 mph; too slow apparently for airflow to cool the cooler.

I’ve tried running the AC to force the cooling fan to operate. The effect was minimal. I think the AC runs the low speed fan.

I’m considering adding a bypass switch to control the radiator cooling fan so it can be forced to operate when needed at low vehicle speeds. I would put something like a 10-minute timer on the switch to make sure it turns off. I would like to do a simple install at first just to test the concept. It seems like the easiest way would be to tap into the radiator temperature sensor switch on the side of the radiator, but I’m concerned that would confuse or damage the ECU.

Anybody here tried this? Any thoughts if I’m on the right track and/or ideas how to better do this?

Thanks / Kozmo

On a side note, going downhill doesn’t seem to result in cooler ATF. Is that because the transmission is still working; braking rather than powering the rig?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Joshwa
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2022 3:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Force radiator fan to cool transmission cooler Reply with quote

I think a basic relay that jumps the power across the radiator sensor would work. Then easy enough to pull wire back to a switch on the dash to activate.
Late model cabin air filter on 93
Euro spec bumper install on 93
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
VolksVelo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2022 5:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Force radiator fan to cool transmission cooler Reply with quote

220° F + should still well within the safe operating range.
Kozmob
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2022 6:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Force radiator fan to cool transmission cooler Reply with quote

VolksVelo wrote:
220° F + should still well within the safe operating range.

I should have said "well over 220." It's gone to 240 several times before I was able to stop
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mikemtnbike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2022 7:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Force radiator fan to cool transmission cooler Reply with quote

You could do this. Like 25 years ago I bypassed the relays in a 84 Wolfsburg rabbit convertible (great car) to a dash switch. I don’t remember all the details but I direct wired it to the battery with an inline fuse. Probably not the right way to do it but it worked for years and the factory system still worked too. I lived in phoenix and commuted in the car and wanted control.

Anyway, just saying, sure this is possible.
subdewd
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2022 5:02 am    Post subject: Re: Force radiator fan to cool transmission cooler Reply with quote

Yes, did this
almond
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2022 9:23 am    Post subject: Re: Force radiator fan to cool transmission cooler Reply with quote

Do you have the transmission in D or in 2 when its getting that hot going 25 mph?
Kozmob
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2022 10:02 am    Post subject: Re: Force radiator fan to cool transmission cooler Reply with quote

subdewd wrote:
Yes, did this

Can you describe how you did this and how effective it was?
Kozmob
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2022 10:05 am    Post subject: Re: Force radiator fan to cool transmission cooler Reply with quote

almond wrote:
Do you have the transmission in D or in 2 when its getting that hot going 25 mph?

It gets hot regardless of the gear I'm in but I'm usually going slow enough that it's already in a low gear. I slow down and shift to a lower gear to help cool it thinking that the higher RPM is going to pump ATF faster.
It usually doesn't happen if I'm going over about 35 mph because I guess there is enough air flow to cool the cooler.
almond
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2022 6:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Force radiator fan to cool transmission cooler Reply with quote

I thought the transmission was designed to lock in some way if you put it in a lower gear and not make as much heat vs leaving it in D. Page 85/86 of the manual kinda talks about changing the gear selector based on conditions. Maybe if you go into 2 before it overheats, it wont
EuroTec
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2022 5:31 am    Post subject: Re: Force radiator fan to cool transmission cooler Reply with quote

Depending on how close the cooler is mounted to the AC condenser, it will have a hard time exchanging heat to the air when not moving.

Have you verified that you have enough transmission fluid after the cooler install? Might be a bit low for the extra volume needed.

Just a thought...

You could simply bypass the trigger wire from the cooling fan temperature switch to a switch mounted on the dash. Turn on the fan whenever you want.
Kozmob
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2022 10:36 am    Post subject: Re: Force radiator fan to cool transmission cooler Reply with quote

EuroTec wrote:
Depending on how close the cooler is mounted to the AC condenser, it will have a hard time exchanging heat to the air when not moving.

Have you verified that you have enough transmission fluid after the cooler install? Might be a bit low for the extra volume needed.

Just a thought...

You could simply bypass the trigger wire from the cooling fan temperature switch to a switch mounted on the dash. Turn on the fan whenever you want.

Thanks for your thoughts. I had my mechanic check the ATF level. It's good.

Bypassing the trigger wire is exactly what I want to do but I'm trying to confirm that it won't confuse the ECU.
subdewd
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2022 12:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Force radiator fan to cool transmission cooler Reply with quote

It seems to help. Might just be placebo effect. But I use it preemptively in slow traffic or waiting.in line
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Eurovan All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: