Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Door adjustment
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Vanell
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2022 7:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Door adjustment Reply with quote

Greetings from Australia, Step 1, take all the rubbers out, step 2 , open the door and push the lock till it locks on the second position now measure the centre of the lock to the outside of the door, step 3 , move the pin on the body till it is the same measurement from the outside of the bus as what the door was, step 4, press the door handle so it releases the lock, shut the door, if both the latch and the pin are the same from the outside then the door should be fitting flush. With the door shut look in thru window down to the wheel wells and make sure the door is not hitting it, if so you maybe able to undo the 2 front hinges and pull the door out a bit, If you can now shake the door open then your door latch is broken. step 5 now start putting the seals back in one at a time making sure the door shuts nicely without any tension, if you have tension sand the back of the seal , it should just touch with about a 1mm squash, too much tension then the door will never close on the second latch
Don66bus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2022 4:13 am    Post subject: Re: Door adjustment Reply with quote

You say " too much tension then the door will never close on the second latch". I think I have already established that there is only one latch position on this door. Presumably, if you turn the latch by hand when the door is open, you can see whether there are two closure positions. I only get one click.
Vanell
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2022 8:51 am    Post subject: Re: Door adjustment Reply with quote

Well then there’s your problem, the lock is broken, I bet the door on the other side has a 2 lock position
Don66bus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2022 11:23 am    Post subject: Re: Door adjustment Reply with quote

You say to go out and check the driver's door for 2 positions. OK. I opened the driver door, pushed the latch with my thumb, and it felt like a single click, BUT, if I turn the latch carefully with two hands, yes, there is an intermediate position. I was wrong. I went back and checked the problem passenger door. It, too, has two clicks but it is on the second tightest position when it is closed but ajar.
Don66bus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2022 12:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Door adjustment Reply with quote

I think I will try replacing the latch. Looks like they are available for $100 + shipping.
ted698
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2022 5:35 am    Post subject: Re: Door adjustment Reply with quote

Those new door seals are NICE!! - I did'nt realise C&C sold the 'proper' original factory profile rubbers now - normally suppliers use the standard oblong foam block profile everywhere - which is wrong.

Might have to treat myself to a new set now!

Did you back cut the seals to overlap at the door top to door joint?
Don66bus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2022 8:42 am    Post subject: Re: Door adjustment Reply with quote

You asked "Did you back cut the seals to overlap at the door top to door joint?".
You mean like a longitudinal bevel? No, I just butt-jointed. They are not glued in yet as I am still playing with the fit. They hold well even without adhesive. Once everything is working as designed (seals, new door latch), and the door is closing flush, I will likely put them in with a sealant.
ted698
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2022 10:15 am    Post subject: Re: Door adjustment Reply with quote

Like this - pic stolen from another Samba page on same topic but shows it well - the seals were cut back to overlap at the door top/door joint to fill the gap Thumbs Up

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
Don66bus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2022 11:31 am    Post subject: Re: Door adjustment Reply with quote

OK so I bought new pieces for the door. The post on the body:

and the door latch:

Then I trimmed the bottom gasket piece by 2 mm and then, with a little bit of a push up (yes, I probably should now replace the pins), I can get the door to be mostly flush:

Two problems. This piece fell out of the door.

I cannot see it described in the Bentley book. It has clearly snapped off from somewhere on the door but it has no wear surfaces, so it might not be critical.

The bigger problem is that the door does not stay shut. The latch is in its fully vertical position when closed, but a yank on the handle or a push from inside opens the latch and the door. Maybe that piece above has a function?

The bus is off the road until spring but, if you have any answers to these problems, I would appreciate your help.
Don66bus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2022 2:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Door adjustment Reply with quote

Update: I put the old latch back in (I'm getting fast at this procedure) and it worked fine. The door stuck out a bit but it did not fly open. I looked at the new latch on the bench and it operates as designed. When I first received it, it was quite stiff and needed a fair bit of lubrication before operating properly. It appears to engage properly now on the bench.

My guess is that, when installed, this new latch has slightly different dimensions than the old one and the rod from the inside door handle moves the pawl to an almost open position, one that can be overcome by a hard yank. My next trial might be to pull the old one out again and measure the two side by side to see if that is the problem.
Pepperbilly
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2022 3:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Door adjustment Reply with quote

I believe I know this piece. I thought it was on ‘67 models only. It is a shield for water deflection or some sort of anti tamper shield for the for the mousetrap mechanism. It is a thin piece of metal bent in a 90 degree angle. This one is broken off. The broken missing piece has a screw hole for attaching to one of the lock screws on the door and it may still be attached. When I put my door lock together I initially forgot it. The door worked fine but I did install it just to be stock correct. It is a fiddly little piece to install and I don’t think it has any bearing on how the door functions. Curious, how did it fall out of the door and in what location? I’ll bet it fell off the mousetrap when you removed it. OR it may be something completely different…

Bill
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
BarryL Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2022 6:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Door adjustment Reply with quote

This is how it sets on the right side door.

I repaired my broken one just like yours however the left side here.

Pepperbilly wrote:
It is a fiddly little piece to install and I don’t think it has any bearing on how the door functions.
Bill

For sure. It strengthens the pull and push of the handle to the flex of the door skin.
Pepperbilly
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2022 8:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Door adjustment Reply with quote

BarryL wrote:
This is how it sets on the right side door.

I repaired my broken one just like yours however the left side here.

Pepperbilly wrote:
It is a fiddly little piece to install and I don’t think it has any bearing on how the door functions.
Bill

For sure. It strengthens the pull and push of the handle to the flex of the door skin.

Yep, that is it! I was only guessing at its function. A strengthening part. That is interesting.
Bill
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
BarryL Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2022 6:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Door adjustment Reply with quote

Don66bus wrote:
My guess is that, when installed, this new latch has slightly different dimensions than the old one and the rod from the inside door handle moves the pawl to an almost open position, one that can be overcome by a hard yank.

Yes you have to adjust the remote control inside door handle rod so there is no preload.

Pepperbilly wrote:
I believe I know this piece. I thought it was on ‘67 models only. It is a shield for water deflection or some sort of anti tamper shield for the for the mousetrap mechanism.

I have only found it on '67 but any post Ice-Pick style can use it.

Pepperbilly wrote:
Yep, that is it! I was only guessing at its function. A strengthening part. That is interesting.
Bill

Beside strengthening it might very well be an anti-tamper device as there is a way to cheat the door open and it might foil that. I'll have to check that out.
Don66bus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2022 8:42 am    Post subject: Re: Door adjustment Reply with quote

Barry said "Yes you have to adjust the remote control inside door handle rod so there is no preload." The rod is solid and has no adjustment. There is a little bit of play in where you fasten the inside handle which might give you +/- 1 mm of length.

In any case, the door works now. It closes tightly, does not pop open spontaneously, and both handles work as designed. I think the problems with new latch were simply that it was new: it needed lots more lubrication and working by hand to make it move easily. The fact that it failed to latch properly at first was likely due to mechanisms failing to return (until they were loosened up).

Thanks for all your help.
Pepperbilly
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2022 11:50 am    Post subject: Re: Door adjustment Reply with quote

Glad you gott it figured out. Came down to basically installing a new latch.

I might have the same problem. The door fits fine but the secondary safety latch posiion does not catch. First trigger when opening the door it just flies open. I will have to look into this.

Bill
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: