Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Gear linkage problems
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
heyskull
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2022 1:07 pm    Post subject: Gear linkage problems Reply with quote

I have now replaced all the bushes and couplings on my 72 Westfalia gear shift.
But I am still having issues engaging 3rd gear and the rest seem very vague.
I found that it has a quick shift spacer fitted but when this is removed and the correct length bolts fitted it will not shift at all.
Also if the shifter is put into 4th too briskly you can disengage the entire the gear stick.
I have checked that reverse shift is correctly fitted.

Thanks
SC
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2022 2:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Gear linkage problems Reply with quote

Have a look at the pin the forward end of the shift rod slides on, it's often bent down from shifter abuse, it should be parallel with the bottom of the floor.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2022 2:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Gear linkage problems Reply with quote

heyskull wrote:

Also if the shifter is put into 4th too briskly you can disengage the entire the gear stick.

Not sure what you are meaning here.

Is the bushing on the front of the shift rod there and in good shape?
aeromech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2022 6:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Gear linkage problems Reply with quote

It’s possible that even if your shift linkage has been made like new, you can still have shifting issues. This can be in the tranny nose cone. The bushing (brass) for the hockey stick can be sloppy or the plastic ball in the nose cone can be worn out. It’s replacement is steel and costs $10. Either of these repairs can be done at home and cheaply but you’ll need to remove the engine and tranny to do them

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Boeing 727,737-200-300-400,757,767
Airbus A319,320,321
DC9/MD80
BAe146
Fokker F28/F100
VW type 1 1962,63,65,69,72
VW Type 2 1971 (3 ea.) 1978, 1969
VW Jetta
VW Passat
Capable of leaping tall buildings in a single bound
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
sodbuster
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2022 12:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Gear linkage problems Reply with quote

Did you remove both pieces of the quick shift kit? The floor spacer and the piviot spacer?
heyskull
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2022 1:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Gear linkage problems Reply with quote

I have managed to remove the quick shift completely and I am now getting all the gears. Third is very far over and if you put into fourth to briskly the gear stick disengages from the slot where the pin goes. I have checked everything and there is no slack or movement. I am beginning to think the lower gear stick is worn.

SC
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2022 3:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Gear linkage problems Reply with quote

Have a close look at that guide pin, and replace the plastic bushing in the front end of the rod/bowl if you haven't already.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
heyskull
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2022 12:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Gear linkage problems Reply with quote

Well I thought I would get the one thing on the gear shift side I hadn't replaced, the gear stick.
I purchased a new original gear stick from a reputable seller in the UK.
The picture shows the original on the left and the brand new replacement.
To say that no part of the base working part of the lever matches the original
The ball socket is smaller, the flat is not correct and will not allow the gear shift to go far enough down when trying to select reverse and lastly the pin is longer and mishaped on the end.

After further investigation either the wrong clutch cable has been fitted or it has stretched considerably as their is additional nuts on the cable and it is at its maximum adjustment.

Also the engine mounting nut and bolt at the upper left where the clutch lever is, is missing and to my mind this would cause a flex at the clutch pivot point.

SC
heyskull
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2022 9:15 am    Post subject: Re: Gear linkage problems Reply with quote

Woo Hoo I have repaired it👍😜

This turned out to be the rear gearbox coupling.
Once I had drilled out the lock screw, as it had snapped and wrestled the pin screw out.
I pulled it out and found that the part that was locked on the shaft had about 1/2" of play.
This was causing the issue with the 3rd and 4th gate was not being twisted over enough.
All back together and refitted the old gearstick and quickshift and it changes all gears now very smoothly.

SC
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2022 9:20 am    Post subject: Re: Gear linkage problems Reply with quote

cool. Glad to hear it is fixed
heyskull
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2022 9:24 am    Post subject: Re: Gear linkage problems Reply with quote

I was beginning to think all sorts of expensive issues.
The only issue is you couldn't feel the movement until it was removed.
The old cage was mangled due to all the stress it has had trying to hammer it into gear.

SC
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: