Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1958 bug suggestions welcome
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dan2973
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2022 1:39 pm    Post subject: 1958 bug suggestions welcome Reply with quote

Hello all it’s been a while. I sold my 66 and I have the fever for another project. A local guy has this 1958? Without a title. The car has a missing body tag but does have its original engine that runs. The car was getting restored but than stopped and sat for years. The paint has some small rust spots and chips but the body is solid. Don’t know any history of the metal work. The car also comes with a full interior in the boxes. There are some bits missing. Has the snowflakes tail lights .comes with seats and all glass. The pan was all painted up. There is a crate with rusty water in it that had some parts in it that I fished out. I told the guy if he gets the title I would be interested at $5500. What are your thoughts guys. I’m not familiar with the 58,s.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

6T5 square
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2022 10:59 am    Post subject: Re: 1958 bug suggestions welcome Reply with quote

Try to hold out for the title. Getting the car registered in NJ can be a real hassle without it. Took me about three months. Otherwise looks like a good candidate even with the floor work

Quoting John Muir -- Open the rear boot. Get out the stool and sit down. Contemplate the air-cooled beauty before you. - How to Keep Your Volkswagen Alive -- Step-By-Step Procedures for the Compleat Idiot
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
scottyrocks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2022 12:14 pm    Post subject: Re: 1958 bug suggestions welcome Reply with quote

In NY, pre-'75ish cars don't need titles to be sold. Check the laws in your state if you haven't already.
Dan2973
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2022 2:50 am    Post subject: Re: 1958 bug suggestions welcome Reply with quote

6T5 square wrote:
Try to hold out for the title. Getting the car registered in NJ can be a real hassle without it. Took me about three months. Otherwise looks like a good candidate even with the floor work

The floors are solid. That’s just rusty water spots and cardboard in the pic. I’m not buying it unless he gets the title. Do you think $5500 is too much?
rusty ducktape
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2022 9:55 pm    Post subject: Re: 1958 bug suggestions welcome Reply with quote

For something this solid in my area no title I’d be in the $2200 but it depends on the area
Dan2973
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2022 9:56 am    Post subject: Re: 1958 bug suggestions welcome Reply with quote

My question is what is it worth with a title?
Wily
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2022 10:35 am    Post subject: Re: 1958 bug suggestions welcome Reply with quote

Dan2973 wrote:
My question is what is it worth with a title?

this
67ctbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2022 1:57 pm    Post subject: Re: 1958 bug suggestions welcome Reply with quote

That depends what the state's rules are. If I bought that in CT with no title, but had you fill in a certain form, I can get a vin verification at an oil change place and stroll in to the DMV and walk out with plates. That wouldn't fly in some states.
'63 Ragtop
'73 914
'73 Dodge W200
'72 Dodge Wrecker
Go Cubs!
World Series Champions 2016
KentPS wrote:
...or the PO envied the terrorists' bus in "Back to the Future". Laughing

mukluk wrote:
He's fine, just waiting for the dragon in winklepickers to move out of his lane.
my59
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2022 6:46 pm    Post subject: Re: 1958 bug suggestions welcome Reply with quote

Check the dmv rules, and for gods sake please tell us the pedal cluster pic bits were fished out of the swamp. Any interior bits left?
Engine runs? East coast, if I was into a project, id bite
Dan2973
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2022 3:00 am    Post subject: Re: 1958 bug suggestions welcome Reply with quote

Just an update. A title company in Nevada is working on the title. I took a better look at he body and unfortunately there is some spots where the paint is lifting and chipped. Comes with a running original 36 horse and new interior kit. I think I’m going to offer closer to 5000$
Dan2973
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2023 9:25 am    Post subject: Re: 1958 bug suggestions welcome Reply with quote

Hello all. Another update and what do you guys think. The seller got the reg from a Vermont company along with a new antique plate. It cost him $900 bucks for that. If I buy the car, I would have to get it flipped at the New Jersey motor vehicle into my name. Yes, I am really posting again just to ask for advice on what to do. All of the hard work on this body has been done. it is a matching pan and engine as far as I know, I’m not sure if the deck lid is original. the front and rear seats have been professionally reupholstered with a light gray vinyl and cloth inserts and seat frames are painted. It also comes with the new carpet kit and door panels to match seats. Comes with windshield and rear glass. There is a lot of car here but it is missing bits like speedo and door handles and dash switches. I feel like every time I’m looking in the classifieds I see bodies that are rotted for the same price and more. But yet people here will tell me it’s only worth $2k. The interior alone cost that. I got the seller down to $4800. This sale would also lead to a bunch of other useful parts he has and he’s local. So what do you guys think. A finished rust free roller with brand new interior and matching 36 hp. I feel like I could source all the missing parts here. Please chime in and give me your thoughts. I’m going to post pictures of the engine and pictures of the deck lead.

Busstom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2023 9:33 am    Post subject: Re: 1958 bug suggestions welcome Reply with quote

Looks like numbers-matching engine for that car, July or August 1958.

Decklid looks wrong, it looks like a 63-34 decklid, so wrong latch, should be the earlier twist-handle latch and a round indentation in the sheet metal where the latch goes. See here:
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=490378

Either way, if you're getting it for $5,500 or so, I say grab it. You looked for rust everywhere, right?
iowegian Premium Member
Samba Curmudgeon

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2023 10:12 am    Post subject: Re: 1958 bug suggestions welcome Reply with quote

If I am reading this right, the price is now $4800 WITH title?
So after he spends $900 for the title, he is essentially selling the car for $3,900.
(yea, I know, they said there would be no math Embarassed )

If that's the case it sounds like a fine deal.
my59
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2023 10:38 am    Post subject: Re: 1958 bug suggestions welcome Reply with quote

Later gas tank, later deck lid.
The white steering wheel yes, dunno if the other one on the shaft will work.
For 4800 with a VT title, why not?
Dan2973
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2023 2:15 pm    Post subject: Re: 1958 bug suggestions welcome Reply with quote

Busstom wrote:
Looks like numbers-matching engine for that car, July or August 1958.

Decklid looks wrong, it looks like a 63-34 decklid, so wrong latch, should be the earlier twist-handle latch and a round indentation in the sheet metal where the latch goes. See here:
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=490378

Either way, if you're getting it for $5,500 or so, I say grab it. You looked for rust everywhere, right?

I would be getting it for $4800. No rust at all besides some small bubling paint but I’m repainting it anyway
Pruneman99
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2023 2:29 pm    Post subject: Re: 1958 bug suggestions welcome Reply with quote

If it's got a title now, what's the issue? I seriously doubt you'll find a similar rust free car on the east coast in that price range.

A rust free 58 here in SoCal would be in that range.

Edit: after looking at the pictures again I see the pan is rusted clear through. Are you sure that car is rust free? Pans are not a big deal, but it suggests there might be more rust than meets the eye. People will put lipstick on a pig.
Rome
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2023 3:32 pm    Post subject: Re: 1958 bug suggestions welcome Reply with quote

With the supposedly truly rust-free body and pan, as well as a running engine, you are already thousands of dollars, maybe even tens of thousands ahead with not having to redo those areas. If you don''t like the white portion of the two-tone paint, you can try to remove the white using various methods to reveal hopefully all black that can be polished to a decent gloss. Being able to assemble it to driving condition within let's say a year, instead of pushing rust repair and repaint which costs much time, is a big bonus and motivation.

So if you like the overall look of the Beetle, it's a very reasonable price for a car located in the NorthEast.

I strongly recommend having sturdy mounting points welded in for 3-point safety belts for the front seats, before you start with interior assembly work.

That BLACK steering wheel and column is a later style, say '60+, which would likely accomodate the later 2-chamber taillamps from a '62+. You could keep the '58-original snowflake taillamps but install supplemental lamps for turn signals. I did that on my late '52 Beetle 30 years ago, using turn signals from a small motorcycle that had the lenses on stalks. You mount the signals to the bumper brackets out by the bumpers. Or you can use '67 Beetle back-up lamps and yellow bulbs; both style signals are for increased visibility and safety.

Last edited by Rome on Sat Feb 04, 2023 4:32 pm; edited 1 time in total
AlteWagen
Troll

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2023 3:52 pm    Post subject: Re: 1958 bug suggestions welcome Reply with quote

If those pedals are for the pan Id check to see if the vin has been welded onto a later pan (stick your phone in the shift linkage hole and get a pic from behind the number and look for evidence of welding.
Dan2973
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2023 4:03 pm    Post subject: Re: 1958 bug suggestions welcome Reply with quote

Pruneman99 wrote:
If it's got a title now, what's the issue? I seriously doubt you'll find a similar rust free car on the east coast in that price range.

Edit: after looking at the pictures again I see the pan is rusted clear through. Are you sure that car is rust free? Pans are not a big deal, but it suggests there might be more rust than meets the eye. People will put lipstick on a pig.

Zero rust. What you are seeing in the pics is rusty water residue that overflowed from the plastic bin. The only rust is what’s on all the parts that were left in the bin
Pruneman99
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2023 4:08 pm    Post subject: Re: 1958 bug suggestions welcome Reply with quote

Dan2973 wrote:
Pruneman99 wrote:

Zero rust. What you are seeing in the pics is rusty water residue that overflowed from the plastic bin. The only rust is what’s on all the parts that were left in the bin

Ah, disregard then.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: