Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

356B Rear Drum Question
Forum Index -> Porsche - 356 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
GrigioTR
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2022 1:40 pm    Post subject: 356B Rear Drum Question Reply with quote

My VW has 356B rear brakes on a 60's transmission. Both sides were leaking transmission oil. I have disassembled the left side and found too many spacers and shims. No idea why since it appears the drum was not making full contact with the brake linings. Outboard about 1/8".

My plan is to rebuild the axle oil seal assembly and forgo the spacer that was slid on the axle after the bearing/seal cap was installed. Seems to stick out about 1/8' beyond the cap surface.

So here is the question. Does the axle spline or drum spline have enough taper to keep the inner drum axle area from making contact with the bolted-on oil seal cap? The drums came off surprisingly easy and makes me wonder if they were properly seated even with the 200+ foot pounds of torque.

Thanks in advance for any help.
Starbucket
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2022 2:18 pm    Post subject: Re: 356B Rear Drum Question Reply with quote

The splines are not tapered that's why the 200# torque.
Big_E_Deluxe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2022 2:33 pm    Post subject: Re: 356B Rear Drum Question Reply with quote

Make sure you have the correct bearing cover matched to your axle. Checkout out the following post: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=584479&highlight=rear+bearing+cover

It will identify the correct bearing cap paired with correct axle. I had a leaky axle due to mismatched cover and axle.

Also, make sure you are using the correct axle castle nut. A standard VW axle castle nut will not work properly with 356B drums. You need a Porsche 356 castle nut to clear the spline on axle. If you use a VW castle nut it will bottom out on the splines before it torques down on the drum, not good. Someone may have placed spacers to push drums out further on axle to allow castle nut to torque down without hitting spline (just guessing)

Correct castle nut/356 (notice bevel at threads to clear splines):

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Hopefully one of these helps solve your problem, my guess it's the wrong bearing cap. Easy to get it wrong, very slight difference in design.

1958 VW Beetle - "Max": https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...highlight=
1959 VW Bus - "Hans" - Double Door Panel (sold): https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=746927
2014 Porsche 991.1 Carrera S
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
wdfifteen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2022 10:28 am    Post subject: Re: 356B Rear Drum Question Reply with quote

Erik got it right. VW nut will not work properly with Porsche brake drum.
The axle nut torque should be at least 350 ftlb and up to 400 ftlb. Make sure the nut threads and the axle threads are in good condition.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Porsche - 356 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: