Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Pushrods/valves SEEM dead / engine build
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rickf1985
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2022 11:20 am    Post subject: Re: Pushrods/valves SEEM to have stopped moving Reply with quote

I realize this is all past history but look very closely at the case where that cam gear runs very close to it and see if you see any witness marks where the gear may have jammed something into the bottom of the case. There may have been a loose nut or small piece of metal floating around in there for years that finally found it way over to that gear where there is no clearance between gear and case.
NachoCar
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2022 12:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Pushrods/valves SEEM to have stopped moving Reply with quote

yeah I would LOVE to know what the root cause was. I'll inspect for marks for sure!

Had one smarty pants engine builder who said it had to be the distributer drive shims/washers (he was twice the price of others like chico, mofoco, and strickly foreign). There were 2 still on and no remnants from any others

A mechanic I trust thinks the cam gear itself was defective.

It would be nice not to have a repeat, if you know what I mean.
Rickf1985
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2022 2:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Pushrods/valves SEEM to have stopped moving Reply with quote

Well, The reason I mention this is I have seen that happen once before. BUT, I was after the #2 rod decided to become a multi piece rod at about 7,000 rpm. As the engine was still winding down in gear then bits and pieces got caught under that gear and did exactly what you see there. So, A little different set of circumstances but same end result.
Buggeee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2022 3:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Pushrods/valves SEEM to have stopped moving Reply with quote

I love that you are building this yourself. You will succeed. You will feel like a million dollars. This is the best part of this hobby.

P.S. I just peeped your gallary... that is a bitchin' grasshopper Dude!!! Applause
SnowDaySyncro wrote:
Every setback is an opportunity to learn stuff and to buy new tools.
NachoCar
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2022 7:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Pushrods/valves SEEM to have stopped moving Reply with quote

must be searching using wrong terms. Need quick advice.

Need to install a main bolt, one of six bigguns used to bolt case halfs together.

Finger tight with Permatex aviation? Guessing it will snug up when torqued properly?

Thanks I LOVE this shit.....and not too much to lose at this point.
scrivyscriv
Samba Electrician

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2022 3:10 am    Post subject: Re: Pushrods/valves SEEM to have stopped moving Reply with quote

Don't use any kind of sealant on the case stud where it threads into the case.. You'd do just fine to use red or blue loctite. I have always set most studs very snug past hand tight, but that may just be personal preference.

I think you will get it back together and be happy with it.. Tearing down and repairing an engine, and putting some miles on it after, is very rewarding.
If you're ever in the Memphis area, you are welcome to stop by for advice and help.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Buggeee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2022 5:13 am    Post subject: Re: Pushrods/valves SEEM to have stopped moving Reply with quote

I agree, you just want the stud to stay In place for the assembly so it does not get any torque at this point because you don't want to punch it through or crack anything. I use blue loctite putting a stud in a case or head because it can be dissasembled, whereas red loctite is permanent. I use red loctite on a Timesert when repairing a hole.
SnowDaySyncro wrote:

Last edited by Buggeee on Wed Dec 14, 2022 6:48 am; edited 1 time in total
NachoCar
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2022 5:54 am    Post subject: Re: Pushrods/valves SEEM to have stopped moving Reply with quote

Thanks guys.....I had already used blue loctite and made it flush with the other 2 bolts on that side. Fingers crossed!
NachoCar
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2022 7:21 am    Post subject: Re: Pushrods/valves SEEM to have stopped moving Reply with quote

Rickf1985 wrote:
I realize this is all past history but look very closely at the case where that cam gear runs very close to it and see if you see any witness marks where the gear may have jammed something into the bottom of the case. There may have been a loose nut or small piece of metal floating around in there for years that finally found it way over to that gear where there is no clearance between gear and case.

sure enough, found this sucker. Unclear if this points to a culprit
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

goober
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2022 7:32 am    Post subject: Re: Pushrods/valves SEEM to have stopped moving Reply with quote

scrivyscriv wrote:
Tearing down and repairing an engine, and putting some miles on it after, is very rewarding.

And liberating.

Once you realize there is nothing on your Bug you can't handle, you'll be freed from the never-ending cycle of external replace or repair.
Rickf1985
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2022 7:36 am    Post subject: Re: Pushrods/valves SEEM to have stopped moving Reply with quote

And there you go. You will probably never know what it was but from looking it was not very big nor does it look like it was sharp sided steel. It may be just what the machinist said and it could have been a defective gear and that was a piece of it that came off and jammed. I have never seen one of those gears fail just on their own but there is always a first. And probably many more that were never reported, like before the internet. Back then they saw that and tossed the whole engine in the bin and pulled another out of another of the hundreds of cars in the yards.
vamram Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2022 6:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Pushrods/valves SEEM dead / engine build Reply with quote

Nacho Car, what is it you found? Blame my ignorance but I don't see the smoking gun...?
Embarassed

'74 Super 9/16 - present, in refurb process.
'73 Super - 6/18 - Present - Daily Driver!
'75 Super Le Grande...waiting it's turn in line behind '74.
Click to view image
Save the Supers!!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
NachoCar
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2022 6:54 am    Post subject: Re: Pushrods/valves SEEM dead / engine build Reply with quote

vamram wrote:
Nacho Car, what is it you found? Blame my ignorance but I don't see the smoking gun...?
Embarassed

See above where Rick mentioned looking for "Witness marks" on the interior of the case ....That's what I was referring to a couple posts earlier.

Still don't know the cause....I'm leaning towards a defective cam gear, which was suggested by a guy much more knowledgeable than I.
Rickf1985
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2022 7:43 am    Post subject: Re: Pushrods/valves SEEM dead / engine build Reply with quote

He is talking about the gouge in the oil galley between the cam bearing and he oil pump where the gear jammed something between the gear and the housing.
vamram Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2022 7:50 am    Post subject: Re: Pushrods/valves SEEM dead / engine build Reply with quote

Ah ok - now I see it. Thanks.

Click to view image
Save the Supers!!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
NachoCar
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2022 7:34 am    Post subject: Re: Pushrods/valves SEEM dead / engine build Reply with quote

couldn't get the main bearings orientated and seated correctly.

Ruined a set of German bearings and smooshed a dowel into the case. Hope there is enough left to hold bearing in place.

Off to research tips on marking and placing bearings correctly. dang it.

Buggeee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2022 8:01 am    Post subject: Re: Pushrods/valves SEEM dead / engine build Reply with quote

There is a learning curve for sure and when done with the build will be ready to begin.

So the assembly should rotate smoothly when torqued down. Along the way, rotating the assembly periodically as things are getting tightened can sometimes disclose things like this before fully torqued down. This is a common experience.
SnowDaySyncro wrote:
Rickf1985
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2022 9:45 am    Post subject: Re: Pushrods/valves SEEM dead / engine build Reply with quote

Patience my friend, Patience is key to building an engine. as you are putting the bearings in you can move them around just a bit and you will feel the dowel key into the hole. I am guessing you had the bearing in backwards and the hole was on the other side of the bearing? Especially since you are just beginning you need to take your time, have the manual open and check everything several times as you put it together. If you are watching a instructional video of engine assembly then do not be afraid to pause it, back up and look again. whatever it takes but patience. Do NOT try to keep up with the video. If you get frustrated then walk away, shut the lights off and come back later. Even shut down for the night and take the video inside and watch it over a couple of times.
Even those of us that have done hundreds of engines and make it look so easy and quick, we are still doing all the things I am telling you like feeling for the dowels, felling for tightness. Making sure all surfaces are spotlessly clean. It looks like we are not doing it since we move faster but we do all of those things. It becomes routine. Do not try to emulate the guys on the videos, they have done this so many times it is all habit to them and you do not see half of what they are doing because it is mostly in their heads.
And, above all, if you get stuck, DO NOT GUESS! Come here and ask before moving on!
NachoCar
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2022 9:48 am    Post subject: Re: Pushrods/valves SEEM dead / engine build Reply with quote

Thanks for the wise words guys!

I do tend to rush a bit.
vamram Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2022 11:09 am    Post subject: Re: Pushrods/valves SEEM dead / engine build Reply with quote

I've assembled two engines and did this exact thing with the 2nd one. I knew immediately something was off because I couldn't turn the crank once I reached the final torque on the case bolts. Fortunately didn't damage the case and discovered it before final assembly and break -in.

Click to view image
Save the Supers!!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 4 of 9

Jump to: