Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Type 4 411/412 Windshield Seal Solved~
Forum Index -> 411/412 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
whobba
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2022 4:47 pm    Post subject: Type 4 411/412 Windshield Seal Solved~ Reply with quote

I have figured out a solution for the NLA windshield seal; West Coast Metric's CEO Todd was super cool and worked with me on two different solutions.

I measured the windshield glass and sent that to WCM, they custom made me two seals, one using the late bus profile and one using the late beetle profile. I installed them both.

The bus profile was way too fat - the depth of the window opening in the body - and didn't work. I cut that out and installed the late beetle seal which is PERFECT. I didn't succeed in reinstalling the original aluminum "c" trim, but I will switch to the late beetle/bus plastic window trim instead.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I have to really hand it to Todd at WCM; the Pearson Family and WCM have dedicated their work to making the VW hobby a pleasure, and we are really lucky to have them. I've used their parts on every VW project I've had over the years. Even though I was a pain in the a** with this project, Todd really went out of his way to accommodate my request and even when we thought it wasn't possible, we pushed through and figured it out together.

Pretty soon I will have a special order part number to share, so everyone with a 411 or 412 can finally replace their old, leaky seals with new WCM ones that fit like OEM. I'll update the post as soon as possible.
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2022 7:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Type 4 411/412 Windshield Seal Solved~ Reply with quote

Very Nice!

Thank you!

years back when I spent what seemed like weeks in the junkyards finding seal cross sections....the late beetle was one I wanted to try because i thought I could probably make it work. The type 3 seal was the right shape but needed a little meat added.

You answered a question and saved me some R&D!

When I go to cut and fit my own I will buy from WCM because they did the due diligence for us. Ray
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Pepperbilly
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2022 8:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Type 4 411/412 Windshield Seal Solved~ Reply with quote

That is good work! This is very important for us type 4 “crazies”. Gives us options and hope for future windshield rubber replacements.

Bill
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2022 9:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Type 4 411/412 Windshield Seal Solved~ Reply with quote

Does the plastic trim last any longer than the six months it used to when in the sun all day?
whobba
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2022 9:41 am    Post subject: Re: Type 4 411/412 Windshield Seal Solved~ Reply with quote

The order number for the WCM American Style (with trim) windshield seal is 411-121A
Pepperbilly
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2022 7:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Type 4 411/412 Windshield Seal Solved~ Reply with quote

whobba wrote:
The order number for the WCM American Style (with trim) windshield seal is 411-121A

Hey, thanks for that! Very useful in the future.

Bill
vw81jetta
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2022 2:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Type 4 411/412 Windshield Seal Solved~ Reply with quote

following Very Happy

Greater Toledo Volkswagen Club Staff
View user's profile Send private message Yahoo Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Deanaha
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2022 4:18 am    Post subject: Re: Type 4 411/412 Windshield Seal Solved~ Reply with quote

Thanks for the order number- I have been looking for a solution for front and back windshield for my 1971 411
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> 411/412 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: