Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

71 westy project
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
W1K1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2022 7:38 am    Post subject: 71 westy project Reply with quote

it's been a long time since I've driven a bay, we've been aircooled since my first car in the late 70's in highschool, and my dad bought a 70 tin top bay in the early 80's, we drove that thing all over the place summer, and winter.
It wasn't bad for a 10 year old vehicle, except the 1600 had to work hard in the mountains, and Dad made the mistake of putting car tires on it, it sucked in a crosswind (we get a lot of wind) and wandered in the ruts on the road.

So enter the opportunity to buy this 71 westy that was listed by a friend while we were on holidays a couple weeks ago. it's a project, the paint & body is done, that's a start, the rest is a blank canvas, (with no canvas), and boxes of parts.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

First thing is the mechanicals, and since it came without an engine........I'm thinking a subi swap is in order. I have build a few T1 & T3 aircooled 2110cc, 1904cc, 1968cc motors, so we could do the same, but the reliability, EFI, HP of the subi powerplant are pulling me that way, along with the wife wanting to turn the key and drive.
Does someone have a list of items required, or a build thread for a 71 Bay to 2.5 subi swap?

With any increase in HP then Brakes, is there an upgrade option while staying with the stock bolt pattern?

And I kinda need to lower the bus a couple inches, I have an inch clearance right now to get in the garage, I'm thinking new tires and shocks might get us in scraping range.

and the required "post some pictures of what you're working with"

and the rest of the Vdub family

1973 super
1965 squareback 1500E
1971 bay window westy- subi swap
airschooled
Air-Schooled

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2022 9:31 am    Post subject: Re: 71 westy project Reply with quote

Nice bus, and good luck with the swap! Any engine, even a stock T1, will lower the bus a few inches in the rear. Get it all sorted at stock height and see how low your shortened oil pan ends up being… Cool

Robbie
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
W1K1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2022 6:07 am    Post subject: Re: 71 westy project Reply with quote

well that's weird, looking through the documents that came with the bus, it was imported to canada on this day back in 2005, there's also lots of receipts for parts that year. So it seems the owner started the project, and then it sat until this year under a cover in the garage.

the M code shows it was a tourist delivery back in 71

1973 super
1965 squareback 1500E
Shonandb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2022 8:42 am    Post subject: Re: 71 westy project Reply with quote

Nice Bus! Regarding a list of things needed to do a Subaru swap, there are a few links and threads that are quite detailed if you do a search here on the Samba forums but I don't remember if there are any 71 specific threads.

I'm really happy with my swap as it's turn the key and drive, lot's of power, and heat in the winter time as we camp year round hitting Revelstoke, Whistler, Manning Park, etc.

Regarding your rear suspension, estimate the weight of the engine and put in some sandbags, blocks, etc and then check the ride height. I ended up adjusting mine twice as I thought the Subaru engine would be about the same as the AC'd but forgot that we usually drive it fully loaded and often pull the trailer. Mine rides a little high in the back when empty and just my wife and I in it but rides level loaded.
Previous 1973 Panel Bus:
Click to view image
richparker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2022 8:59 am    Post subject: Re: 71 westy project Reply with quote

I can confirm that an antenna on the belt line was a factory install, not a dealer install. A ‘67 beetle antenna is what you’re gonna want to use.

Do you have the factory headliner? My ‘68 Tourist Delivery had a gloss headliner instead of the white wash headliners US models had.
’65 Deluxe Build
’63 Deluxe Build
W1K1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2022 10:25 am    Post subject: Re: 71 westy project Reply with quote

richparker wrote:
I can confirm that an antenna on the belt line was a factory install, not a dealer install. A ‘67 beetle antenna is what you’re gonna want to use.

Do you have the factory headliner? My ‘68 Tourist Delivery had a gloss headliner instead of the white wash headliners US models had.

this came with a new set of wood panels for the interior including the front roof area.

good to know on the antenna

1973 super
1965 squareback 1500E
Gashog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2022 10:36 am    Post subject: Re: 71 westy project Reply with quote

Subscribed… Nice bus, very noice. As others have said, there are a number of threads documenting a Subaru swap, some by excellent craftsmen with extraordinary attention to detail. I myself have no such skillz and chose to have mine installed professionally by a man in CT who’s quickly becoming legendary re. Subaru swaps. Conversion underway at present. He may have swapped a 71 IIRC. Anyhow, nice bus.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
W1K1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2022 10:39 am    Post subject: Re: 71 westy project Reply with quote

Shonandb wrote:
Nice Bus! Regarding a list of things needed to do a Subaru swap, there are a few links and threads that are quite detailed if you do a search here on the Samba forums but I don't remember if there are any 71 specific threads.

I'm really happy with my swap as it's turn the key and drive, lot's of power, and heat in the winter time as we camp year round hitting Revelstoke, Whistler, Manning Park, etc.

Regarding your rear suspension, estimate the weight of the engine and put in some sandbags, blocks, etc and then check the ride height. I ended up adjusting mine twice as I thought the Subaru engine would be about the same as the AC'd but forgot that we usually drive it fully loaded and often pull the trailer. Mine rides a little high in the back when empty and just my wife and I in it but rides level loaded.

I have been spending the evenings pouring through different threads, and checking different vendors for early bay swap info.

if i want to stay with the full subi engine/5sp trans its 3K USF (exchange sux right now too, thanks Turdeau) right now for subarugears kit and mounts. Or i can re-gear the VW 4 speed for the 2.5 and run the kennedy mount/clutch. I still have to check into the VW trans upgrade costing.

zero weight in it definitely will be sitting a little high. I'm going to start underneath and get it clean and back to new looking as the topside while we ponder options.

1973 super
1965 squareback 1500E
W1K1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2022 12:27 pm    Post subject: Re: 71 westy project Reply with quote

Along with doing research on the Subi swap, we pulled the transmission, axles, fuel tank, crusty hoses, and a pile of ratty looking wires.
the engine bay needs a better paint job to fix the 2 tone sprayed over dirt one, or maybe just white rhino liner and be done.
Laid under the bus saturday with the pressure washer for a while trying to get all the road grime off so I can get the bottom side all painted and sealed up, it's much nicer not having dirt fall in your face every time you touch something

Cut a big ol' hole for the type 3 hatch that I chopped out of the 65 parts car

cleaned up and drained the transmission, built a skid to attach the transmission, just need some strapping to finish up boxing it up so it can go off for a rebuild and gear change.

Next up tear down the rear suspension and add to the powder coating pile, that's always a good winter job, keeps the garage warm Wink

still watching the local ads for a cheap Subi donor car to give up it's 2.5

1973 super
1965 squareback 1500E
W1K1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2022 8:04 am    Post subject: Re: 71 westy project Reply with quote

The rear Running gear is stripped off and in the blasting/ powder coat pile. I’ve been sanding and cleaning the engine bay. Still more paint over dirt to sand .

Welded the type3 hatch in , yes it’s flipped around, it just fit better in the bus that way , I didn’t have to cut into the front bar over the gas tank, and I always take the hatch off when working on my square, so it doesn’t really matter anyways

The transmission was sent out last week for the gearing change for the subi swap.

Removed the dash ……. Not sure what to do with the radio hole at this point , someone used the plier method to get a radio to fit

1973 super
1965 squareback 1500E
W1K1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2022 9:12 pm    Post subject: Re: 71 westy project Reply with quote

I pulled the harness to clean up the wiring and extend some wires for the Subaru harness connections and add a few for the gauges . No motor and the body was empty when we brought the bus home.
There is one black 20 gauge wire that doesn’t show up in the Bentley manual that is part of the front 8 connection. There are a lot of loose wires and the dash is out at the moment, so I’m not sure what it’s supposed to connect to at the rear. Any ideas?

I ordered a set of the c&c euro taillight housings from CIP , they are a pretty solid upgrade for the rear lights.
https://www.customandcommercial.com/vw-split_scree...ing_10822/

1973 super
1965 squareback 1500E
W1K1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2022 7:18 am    Post subject: Re: 71 westy project Reply with quote

Finally getting somewhere on the rear end parts, been blasting and cleaning stuff for a while

Also got a start on the underside and engine bay, the was a ton of painted dirt under the yellow

The gas tank is off at the radiator shop to get cleaned

1973 super
1965 squareback 1500E
aeromech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2022 10:32 pm    Post subject: Re: 71 westy project Reply with quote

Nice job
Boeing 727,737-200-300-400,757,767
Airbus A319,320,321
DC9/MD80
BAe146
Fokker F28/F100
VW type 1 1962,63,65,69,72
VW Type 2 1971 (3 ea.) 1978, 1969
VW Jetta
VW Passat
Capable of leaping tall buildings in a single bound
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
W1K1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2022 9:36 pm    Post subject: Re: 71 westy project Reply with quote

Next job was painting the wheel wells and underside up to the crossmember and the belly pans. It will be so much easier working under there without crap falling in my face, plus it’s a little brighter than before

Trans is back from Benco, subaru adapter, and starter from Kennedy, and Busaru engine mount, all got picked up last week from the border

1973 super
1965 squareback 1500E
mark d
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 25, 2022 3:27 am    Post subject: Re: 71 westy project Reply with quote

very nice, following....merry xmas

"what good are tractors without violins ?" jose figueres
Vee Dub Nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 25, 2022 6:20 am    Post subject: Re: 71 westy project Reply with quote

Great looking project, and nice work so far. You'll love the swap.

67 Beetle (TBD)

74 Transporter (EJ25 Swapped) - Build Thread: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...mp;start=0

See all my VW pics on Instagram @ vee_dub_nut
W1K1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2023 3:07 pm    Post subject: Re: 71 westy project Reply with quote

any ideas on what these holes are above the mirror?
looks like a bracket was bolted on there, nothing on the pop top I can see

1973 super
1965 squareback 1500E
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2023 3:12 pm    Post subject: Re: 71 westy project Reply with quote

W1K1 wrote:

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=5680767#5680767

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
W1K1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2023 4:40 pm    Post subject: Re: 71 westy project Reply with quote

busdaddy wrote:
W1K1 wrote:

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=5680767#5680767

well dang, I'm gonna have a look through the spare parts that came with the bus, but I don't recall seeing that bracket Confused

1973 super
1965 squareback 1500E
W1K1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2023 4:58 pm    Post subject: Re: 71 westy project Reply with quote

another one of those PO things that just makes you shake your head...rattle can black the fender well, and front suspension, and all the dirt/grease as well.
Rolling Eyes at least it's just paint, and not the tar undercoat that was all over the rear end.
the nice thing is there is very little rust under there

got some cleaning and painting done while the dash is out, I have a nice replacement that needs to get picked up in a week or so.
Might as well clean up the wiring, wipers, ducts, and all that while there is easy access. Need to order a 12v washer bottle upgrade and a couple switches that were trashed too

1973 super
1965 squareback 1500E
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5

Jump to: