Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Lower Trailing Arms Stuck
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Pbotsonis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2023 5:17 pm    Post subject: Lower Trailing Arms Stuck Reply with quote

Iím trying to remove my lower trailing arms, but they are stuck. Any suggestions on removing them? My plan is to use heat, but thought I would ask first.

Thanks!
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2023 6:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Lower Trailing Arms Stuck Reply with quote

Is the sway bar still attached?

Have you removed the grub screws?

GOFUNDYOURSELF, quit asking everyone to do it for you!

An air cooled VW will make you a hoarder.

Do something, anything, to your project every day, and you will eventually complete it.
Pbotsonis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2023 7:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Lower Trailing Arms Stuck Reply with quote

Sway bar & grub screws have been removed.
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2023 8:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Lower Trailing Arms Stuck Reply with quote

Assuming that the shocks & spindles are off, remove the grub screw in the center of the beam also, & using a soft head, dead blow hammer, or a 40-48oz hammer & block of wood, strike the trailing arm on the inner edge to drive it out of the beam. Be sure to leave a nut on the shock boss so you donít damage the threads with an ill placed strike.

If the cap in the center of the arm covering the end of the spring pack is missing, you can use a brass or aluminum drift to drive the spring pack out of the arm & out the other side of the beam.

Do something, anything, to your project every day, and you will eventually complete it.
Jonah_fiddler
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2023 9:53 am    Post subject: Re: Lower Trailing Arms Stuck Reply with quote

Iím re-building the front end of my Ď70 standard and was curious if this worked for the OP or not?

Iím having a real hard time getting the lower arms to break free as well.

Also, why would you undo the grub screw holding the torsion bars in place? I would imagine that you donít want to pull these out of the beam if the control arm is stuck to them?
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2023 11:36 am    Post subject: Re: Lower Trailing Arms Stuck Reply with quote

Have you removed the shocks, spindles, & sway bar?

Removing the center grub screw allows you to slide the complete spring pack out with the trailing arm, assuming that you are able to remove at least one trailing arm.

Jonah_fiddler
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2023 12:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Lower Trailing Arms Stuck Reply with quote

TDCTDI wrote:
Have you removed the shocks, spindles, & sway bar?

Removing the center grub screw allows you to slide the complete spring pack out with the trailing arm, assuming that you are able to remove at least one trailing arm.

Upper arms are removed, tie rods, sway bar, shocks, steering damper all removed. Passenger side grub screw for the lower arm is seized. Iíve been working on getting it out for 3 daysÖÖ. The drivers side grub screw is out, but that arm is stuck.

Iím worried I might have to pull the beam at this point and take it somewhere to get these 2 lower arms out, but I donít want to. Part of me thinks it would make installing the arms and new steering box easier though if the beam was out.
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2023 12:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Lower Trailing Arms Stuck Reply with quote

YesÖ and no. Youíll have easier access to swing a mallet, but then youíll be chasing the damn thing around with each blow.

You definitely wonít get them off unless the grub screws are removed. Try using the jam nut from the other side to double nut the grub screw, this way you can use a wrench on the nuts in addition to using the Allen wrench. This will also keep the Allen head from deforming as easily.

Itís a lot easier to maneuver the beam into place if everything is off, they get unwieldy quickly once the arms & spindles are on. The weight is no longer centered & it causes the beam to twist away from the pan head.

Jonah_fiddler
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2023 12:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Lower Trailing Arms Stuck Reply with quote

TDCTDI wrote:
YesÖ and no. Youíll have easier access to swing a mallet, but then youíll be chasing the damn thing around with each blow.

You definitely wonít get them off unless the grub screws are removed. Try using the jam nut from the other side to double nut the grub screw, this way you can use a wrench on the nuts in addition to using the Allen wrench. This will also keep the Allen head from deforming as easily.

Itís a lot easier to maneuver the beam into place if everything is off, they get unwieldy quickly once the arms & spindles are on. The weight is no longer centered & it causes the beam to twist away from the pan head.

That makes sense about the beam.

The grub screw that is seized is completely trashed at this point. It split at the open end when I was trying to loosen it initially and Iíve been trying beat, vice grips, PB Blaster, etc to get it out. I have new grub screws to install when I put the arms back in.

I guess Iíll just keep banging awayÖI donít think any of these bolts have ever been removed in 53 years.
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2023 1:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Lower Trailing Arms Stuck Reply with quote

Put the Allen wrench back in, then grab the remains of the grub screw from the outside with channel locks or vice grips & turn both simultaneously, the wrench on the inside & the pliers on the outside work together to sorta support the thin material thatís there.

A bit of heat on the trailing arm works too.

Kafer_Mike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2023 8:16 am    Post subject: Re: Lower Trailing Arms Stuck Reply with quote

TDCTDI wrote:
Put the Allen wrench back in, then grab the remains of the grub screw from the outside with channel locks or vice grips & turn both simultaneously, the wrench on the inside & the pliers on the outside work together to sorta support the thin material thatís there.

A bit of heat on the trailing arm works too.

...or find a nut that will slide over the remains of the grub screw and fill the cavity with a hot mig weld. Let it cool, then use a wrench or ratchet and breaker bar to loosen it. The mig weld also puts heat into it to loosen the grub screw.

...or remove the center and right control are grub screw. Drill a hole in the right control arm cap, pop it off, then use a brass drift and hammer to drive the spring stack out.

I've also used a crankshaft gear puller with the above method to pull a stubborn control arm. It fits perfectly behind the control arm. Remove the grub screw from the control arm. Don't remove or loosen the center grub screw. And use a nut between the puller's center pin and the spring stack to prevent damage to both.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Jonah_fiddler
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2023 12:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Lower Trailing Arms Stuck Reply with quote

The saga of this stuck grub screw continues.

Iíve tried heat, a ton of PB Blaster, vice grips, screw extractors and I even welded the nut on the end of the grub screw, all to no avail. The grub screw has now broken off almost to the point where it goes in to the arm.

Before I pull this beam out and take it somewhere, could I drill out the inside of the grub screw to try to break it off in pieces out of the hole? I donít want mess up the torsion leaves or the threads of the arm though.

Any thoughts?
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: