Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Paint color code, or rattlecan match for Bosch blue coil
Forum Index -> Body/Paint Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
mattpilgrim
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2022 6:58 am    Post subject: Paint color code, or rattlecan match for Bosch blue coil Reply with quote

I'm considering painting other parts such as the alternator pulley and distributor cap to match the Bosch blue coil.

If anyone has experience with this, I'd love to hear about it and see pictures.
Slow-N-Rusty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2022 5:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Paint color code, or rattlecan match for Bosch blue coil Reply with quote

Sorry no pictures but I remember repainting a coil Duplicolor General Motors Blue (DE1608) as it was very very close and available at most FLAPS. The paint comes out more glossy than the coils originally were so if that matters to you you may need to finish it off with some satin clear to tone the gloss down some.
mattpilgrim
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2022 7:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Paint color code, or rattlecan match for Bosch blue coil Reply with quote

Thank you, will check it out!
Rome
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2022 9:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Paint color code, or rattlecan match for Bosch blue coil Reply with quote

The shade of blue changed noticeably in the last 40 years... About 30 years ago I found a spray can at the long-defunct Caldor's department store that was an excellent match to the 12 V coil I had at the time. Like this one (wim3600 gallery):
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Coils in the last ca. 15 years are a darker blue (bhuser).

Too bad the lighting in this shot is lousy, but you can still see a big variance in blue color (Frederik)-
VintageVulture
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2022 12:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Paint color code, or rattlecan match for Bosch blue coil Reply with quote

That lighter one reminds me of either Neptune blue or Capri blue VW colors
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
evanfrucht
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2022 10:17 am    Post subject: Re: Paint color code, or rattlecan match for Bosch blue coil Reply with quote

I actually found one recently that is a good match. Let me find it
simibob
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2024 2:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Paint color code, or rattlecan match for Bosch blue coil Reply with quote

I've got 10 coils to paint. Tried a few different colors, but Krylon Fusion "SATIN HARBOR BLUE " is the closest I've seen yet.
Bob B
Rome
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2024 3:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Paint color code, or rattlecan match for Bosch blue coil Reply with quote

VintageVulture wrote:
That lighter one reminds me of either Neptune blue or Capri blue VW colors

I agree. This vendor sells Capri Blue in his Beetle color list, L335- https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2361481
Might be worthwhile to order a can of the Capri, and buy the Krylon color that simibob mentioned.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Body/Paint All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: