Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Bus 3 rib tranny to 2.0 engine
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
hushcar
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2022 2:42 pm    Post subject: Bus 3 rib tranny to 2.0 engine Reply with quote

Hello, I believe I can put a later bus engine, like a 2.0 liter from a 78 Bus into an early bay, 1971 if I change the bell housing? Is that true and if so what Bell housing year do I need to use? Thanks ahead!
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2022 4:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Bus 3 rib tranny to 2.0 engine Reply with quote

You'd be better off changing the flywheel, a 210mm type 4 will fit your existing trans, you'll have to put a pilot bearing in the flywheel to reach that shorter type 1 input shaft though.

But unless you plan on running giant tires you'll be super disappointed with the performance, the gear ratios will top out long after that long stroke 2l stops making torque and the shift points will place the next gear in a range between best power speeds. Good for drag racing, not so much for climbing long mountain passes.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2022 5:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Bus 3 rib tranny to 2.0 engine Reply with quote

if your intent is to have a bus that will be enjoyable, stay with the type 1 engine and put a little larger cylinders in it like for a 1776. If your intent is to make a lot of power and have a handful of modifications and expenses, put in a type 4 2L with an 091 six rib transmission. If your intent is to flip some bus you found without an engine, just clean it up and flip it as is.
aeromech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2022 6:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Bus 3 rib tranny to 2.0 engine Reply with quote

Good luck. You’ll need it
Boeing 727,737-200-300-400,757,767
Airbus A319,320,321
DC9/MD80
BAe146
Fokker F28/F100
VW type 1 1962,63,65,69,72
VW Type 2 1971 (3 ea.) 1978, 1969
VW Jetta
VW Passat
Capable of leaping tall buildings in a single bound
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
timvw7476
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2022 8:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Bus 3 rib tranny to 2.0 engine Reply with quote

the early 002 ratios really make 1st a 'granny gear' once you bolt even a 1800 Type IV to it. Along with 16mpg. A 2.0L would pull down 15mpg at best. If that's your thing, & you think you need a VW bus with a granny low for wood hauling or tow work . Wait, that's crazy. 091 usually provides up to 23+ with a 2.0L.
VW matched the ratios/final drive really well for all around use.
aeromech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2022 8:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Bus 3 rib tranny to 2.0 engine Reply with quote

In addition, the later 091 transmission has much stronger workings that are built for the 2.0 size engine. So if you go with the 002 you’ll suffer reliability as well as drivability and economy
Boeing 727,737-200-300-400,757,767
Airbus A319,320,321
DC9/MD80
BAe146
Fokker F28/F100
VW type 1 1962,63,65,69,72
VW Type 2 1971 (3 ea.) 1978, 1969
VW Jetta
VW Passat
Capable of leaping tall buildings in a single bound
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
busman78
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2022 3:43 am    Post subject: Re: Bus 3 rib tranny to 2.0 engine Reply with quote

If your making that 2.0L into and upright engine via a DTM or other option you will have a screamer, the 2.0L or any of the T4 will out torque your stock T1. But if you are going to try and stuff the T4 with all the tin and cooling in stock form go buy a 72 or later bay.

And to answer your question, get a 210mm flywheel and clutch set, since you have a 71 now your TO bearing will work.
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2022 5:21 am    Post subject: Re: Bus 3 rib tranny to 2.0 engine Reply with quote

I have an 002 coupled with an 1800 in my '77. The 002 has a lower first gear so that I didn't have to use the clutch as much on really rough roads, and I had 4th gear upped a bit so that combined with 27x8.5R14 tires I get about the same highway rpm as a stock 091 would give. I have been running this combo for 6 or 7 years now and it is doing me well.
nemobuscaptain
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2022 7:34 am    Post subject: Re: Bus 3 rib tranny to 2.0 engine Reply with quote

hushcar wrote:
Hello, I believe I can put a later bus engine, like a 2.0 liter from a 78 Bus into an early bay, 1971 if I change the bell housing? Is that true and if so what Bell housing year do I need to use? Thanks ahead!

as others have said, the general rule is match the flywheel and clutch from the transmission and everything works, in this case those from a 1700 or 1800 work well.

However, cutting up the bus to fit T4 engine tins is a lot of work and destroys value, if that is what you are planning.

Much easier to sell the 2.0 and get the right engine. If you do cut the back to fit the T4 engine, keep the parts you remove.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/FullMoonBusClub

RIP Bob Hoover https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=427791
Hoover Sermons: https://www.vwsage.com/images/vwsage/Bob%20Hoovers%20Sermons.pdf

Last edited by nemobuscaptain on Thu Sep 29, 2022 3:49 pm; edited 1 time in total
RalphWiggam
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2022 5:03 am    Post subject: Re: Bus 3 rib tranny to 2.0 engine Reply with quote

Wildthings wrote:
I have an 002 coupled with an 1800 in my '77. The 002 has a lower first gear so that I didn't have to use the clutch as much on really rough roads, and I had 4th gear upped a bit so that combined with 27x8.5R14 tires I get about the same highway rpm as a stock 091 would give. I have been running this combo for 6 or 7 years now and it is doing me well.

I have a spare 2L that I havent built yet for my bus. Would be about the same setup as yours. My 1.7L has all the 'fixins' and to me it seems like the 210mm clutch setup is already at about its limit.

Do you notice any indications that a 210mm setup cant hold the power of the 2L?
busman78
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2022 5:13 am    Post subject: Re: Bus 3 rib tranny to 2.0 engine Reply with quote

From experience I can say yes it will. Just consider the T1 crowd with over 2L engines cranking out lots of HP and they use a 200mm. The 210 pressure plate will be more than enough.
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2022 5:43 am    Post subject: Re: Bus 3 rib tranny to 2.0 engine Reply with quote

RalphWiggam wrote:

I have a 228 clutch. The lining was still fine after 180k+/- miles but all the springs in the disc were shot.
airschooled
Air-Schooled

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2022 7:50 am    Post subject: Re: Bus 3 rib tranny to 2.0 engine Reply with quote

RalphWiggam wrote:

One of my friends daily drives his 2L with an early 002 and stock tires. He loves the acceleration that keeps up with modern traffic on shitty stroads. We had the engine out last year for gas tank work, and found the 210mm clutch to be thicker than 8mm after 40k moles. No slippage at all, and the engine is tuned well. Wink

I really like driving his bus around town, but if I were doing significant freeway miles, I would want the proper gearing.

Robbie
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Xevin Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2022 8:50 am    Post subject: Re: Bus 3 rib tranny to 2.0 engine Reply with quote

airschooled wrote:
We had the engine out last year for gas tank work, and found the 210mm clutch to be thicker than 8mm after 40k moles.

Shocked That’s a lot of moles Laughing

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

F’ing autocorrect wins again Evil or Very Mad

Clatter wrote:
Damn that Xevin... Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

skills@eurocarsplus wrote:
I respect Xevin and he's a turd Razz

SGKent wrote:
My God! Xevin and I 100% agree Shocked
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: