Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Hurricane Ian
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
AceTaylor
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2022 6:50 am    Post subject: Hurricane Ian Reply with quote

Well, I'm down in Cape Coral FL. Jim Cantore has allegedly been spotted in Punta Gorda 20 miles up the road. Waffle House closed. Seems like the s*** got real. Thankfully I don't have my bus down here this trip, it might be 8' under water till Ian drags his ass through here. This is before Ian. I have 10 more hours to see what I have after Ian.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
steve244
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2022 7:10 am    Post subject: Re: Hurricane Ian Reply with quote

wishing you luck. How high above sea level is your place?
The Vanagon's drivetrain and chassis restomod thread. Best sung to the tune of I Did It My Way...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jlrftype7
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2022 7:14 am    Post subject: Re: Hurricane Ian Reply with quote

Waffle House closed ?!!, end of days...... Wink Wink
Anyway, stay safe and dry.. Pray Pray
2017 MINI Coopers, our current DDs
‘84 Tin Top - Hilga....Auto
dabaron
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2022 7:19 am    Post subject: Re: Hurricane Ian Reply with quote

sorry to say my employer is making hats, which means this is going to be a very damaging storm that takes out not just the residential feeder circuits, but the substation interconnects as well.

i wish you all the best, that bus looks great.

BiWerks Design, LLC
jimf909 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2022 7:31 am    Post subject: Re: Hurricane Ian Reply with quote

dabaron wrote:
sorry to say my employer is making hats...

The google was not helpful with the making hats reference but I'm guessing it's not a trucker hat saying 'Ian visited and all I got was this salvage title'.

Agreed on the great looking van comment. Hang in there, AceTaylor.

Abscate wrote:
Do not get killed, do not kill others.

Current: 1990 Westy Camper - Bostig RG4, 2wd, manual trans w/Peloquin, NAHT high-top, 280 ah LFP battery, 160 watts solar, Flash Silver, seam rust, bondo, etc., etc.

Past: 1985 Westy Camper - 1.9 wbx, 2wd, manual trans, Merian Brown, (sold after 17 years to Northwesty who converted it to a Syncro).
AceTaylor
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2022 7:46 am    Post subject: Re: Hurricane Ian Reply with quote

About 10' above sea level, flood zone B. Not good.
steve244
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2022 7:49 am    Post subject: Re: Hurricane Ian Reply with quote

sigh...
The Vanagon's drivetrain and chassis restomod thread. Best sung to the tune of I Did It My Way...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
calsurf
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2022 7:55 am    Post subject: Re: Hurricane Ian Reply with quote

I have a friend in Tampa. Hunkering down as they say. Generator, fuel, food & water. Stay safe, God bless.
shagginwagon83
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2022 9:09 am    Post subject: Re: Hurricane Ian Reply with quote

Hurry grab your tools

Last edited by shagginwagon83 on Wed Sep 28, 2022 9:20 am; edited 1 time in total
jlrftype7
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2022 9:13 am    Post subject: Re: Hurricane Ian Reply with quote

shagginwagon83 wrote:
I believe there is still time...
Don't show this to DuncanS, he just might copy it... Wink
2017 MINI Coopers, our current DDs
‘84 Tin Top - Hilga....Auto
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2022 9:56 am    Post subject: Re: Hurricane Ian Reply with quote

jimf909 wrote:
dabaron wrote:
sorry to say my employer is making hats...

The google was not helpful with the making hats reference but I'm guessing it's not a trucker hat saying 'Ian visited and all I got was this salvage title'.

Agreed on the great looking van comment. Hang in there, AceTaylor.

Knowing that dbaron works for a tree company, it must have something to do with post storm cleanup $$$'s

Dave

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
SCM
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2022 10:00 am    Post subject: Re: Hurricane Ian Reply with quote

My dad is up the road in the Sebastian / Melbourn area. Sounds like they're intermittently losing their phone service and expect the power to go out soon.

They're baking cinnamon rolls and meatloaf while they still have the chance.
space
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2022 2:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Hurricane Ian Reply with quote

AceTaylor wrote:
Well, I'm down in Cape Coral FL. Jim Cantore has allegedly been spotted in Punta Gorda 20 miles up the road. Waffle House closed. Seems like the s*** got real. Thankfully I don't have my bus down here this trip, it might be 8' under water till Ian drags his ass through here. This is before Ian. I have 10 more hours to see what I have after Ian.

I just bought a place down there!
Is there gas etc available?
Trying to get a status report on my house
Good luck and stay safe!
T
Rear discs
jimf909 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2022 9:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Hurricane Ian Reply with quote

Just in case you want to see another shot of this pretty van from the OP's photos:

Abscate wrote:
Do not get killed, do not kill others.

Current: 1990 Westy Camper - Bostig RG4, 2wd, manual trans w/Peloquin, NAHT high-top, 280 ah LFP battery, 160 watts solar, Flash Silver, seam rust, bondo, etc., etc.

Past: 1985 Westy Camper - 1.9 wbx, 2wd, manual trans, Merian Brown, (sold after 17 years to Northwesty who converted it to a Syncro).
Chestercopperpot
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2022 10:53 am    Post subject: Re: Hurricane Ian Reply with quote

Grew up in the area and have family that lost homes that were closer to the beach. Lee County will be changed forever, many of the videos this morning are devastational to watch. Most A and B zones flooded. Zone C's were spared the waters wrath.

Gas is not available when there is no power, btw Electric pumps are needed. It is common knowledge to fill up fuel prior to storm.

There are many areas that will not be rebuilt years from now. Estero island and captiva, lost everything that wasnt concrete construction. The sanibel and pine island briges are gone(leaving some stuck) Power will take weeks, cell service is out currently. It's a mess. I was there for charley in 04 and this is a magnitute greater than that storm.

Good luck SWFL

Last edited by Chestercopperpot on Sun Oct 02, 2022 2:05 pm; edited 1 time in total
Mateo83
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2022 3:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Hurricane Ian Reply with quote

Supposed to fly to South Carolina Tuesday, keeping an eye on the weather.
AceTaylor
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2022 11:26 am    Post subject: Re: Hurricane Ian Reply with quote

I don't know if this goes through or not. We survived. We are blessed. Our house survived with very minor damage. Others, not so much. There is no electricity, or cable. Telephone and wireless internet are spotty at best. Water service just came back about an hour ago. For those of you from mid Atlantic, Wawa came through yesterday with generators for the fuel pumps and store and a tanker of potable water. I biked out to see 1/2 mile fuel lines and a line around the store to get in. Lee County now has food and water stations up around the Cape and Ft. Myers.
steve244
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2022 12:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Hurricane Ian Reply with quote

Good to hear. Used to spend time on Sanibel. It was hit bad.

Last edited by steve244 on Sat Oct 01, 2022 1:07 pm; edited 1 time in total
Chestercopperpot
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2022 12:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Hurricane Ian Reply with quote

Here's some NOAA after imagery, sad times. It's interesting when barrier islands do what they do.

https://storms.ngs.noaa.gov/storms/ian/index.html#15/26.4529/-82.0171

Glad to hear you're ok Ace, hang in there

This is storm surge like never seen before, my grandmothers place in iona. High water mark was 4 foot up the interior wall and 7-9 foot above street level. Furniture and belongings tossed as if an earthquake. Water is no joke

Last edited by Chestercopperpot on Sat Oct 01, 2022 8:02 pm; edited 1 time in total
Steve M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2022 1:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Hurricane Ian Reply with quote

I'm over in Fort Lauderdale. I have to change a front cv joint before I head over to see family located in Englewood and Venice. Like evyone else in that area no power or phones.
I did hear from them and they are ok, but their not being very communicative about some I expect more damage then they are letting on. I've got sn extra solar setup and battery to charge cell phones, maybe run my 12v fridge and a portable 12v cmp shower if they want it.

The local Charlotte County Sheriff Office Facebook page for anyone trying to get wellness checks on folks is here. Not sure if they have internet active there yet.
You can ask and post in an address and somebody else might have an answer for you.

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=pfbid0...4537906477

There are seven days in a week. Someday is not one of them.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: