Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Rear transmission mount
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
extremebuggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2022 12:50 pm    Post subject: Rear transmission mount Reply with quote

It appears the transmission does not have any rear mounts installed. Is this ok? Should I install some since I have the engine out? Looks like the support bracket is flat. The mounts that I have found appear to have a slight curve. Will that work or do need to go ahead and install a new EMPI bracket with straps. Looking for a little advice. See photo.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
55rag
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2022 1:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Rear transmission mount Reply with quote

That looks like a solid mount cradle. If you want rubber mounts you would need to find the original style cradle that would allow for the rubber mounts between it and the transmission.
18 GTI
Some beat up British bikes
55rag
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2022 1:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Rear transmission mount Reply with quote

Like this one.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1399875
18 GTI
extremebuggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2022 1:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Rear transmission mount Reply with quote

55rag wrote:
That looks like a solid mount cradle. If you want rubber mounts you would need to find the original style cradle that would allow for the rubber mounts between it and the transmission.

Would there be any issues leaving the setup as is without using mounts? Leaving the solid mount cradle with no mounts?
55rag
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2022 1:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Rear transmission mount Reply with quote

It depends on what you are putting it in and how you are using the car or buggy. It would be a lot more noisy, more vibration felt and maybe more susceptible to braking parts. If it's something you are driving on the street for fun I wouldn't go solid mount.
18 GTI
extremebuggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2022 1:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Rear transmission mount Reply with quote

55rag wrote:
It depends on what you are putting it in and how you are using the car or buggy. It would be a lot more noisy, more vibration felt and maybe more susceptible to braking parts. If it's something you are driving on the street for fun I wouldn't go solid mount.

It’s a fiberglass buggy that will be used around town and such. No off road only highway use.
jeffrey8164 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2022 2:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Rear transmission mount Reply with quote

Definitely get an original cradle then.
I highly recommend the Rhino Mounts from CB Performance.
They’re amazing.

https://www.cbperformance.com/product-p/6212.htm

They have matching shift couplers and steering rag joints too.

“Let he that is without oil throw the first rod”
(Compression 8.7:1)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
extremebuggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2022 2:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Rear transmission mount Reply with quote

I was considering getting on of these. Any thoughts on using this one?

https://www.jbugs.com/product/9543.html
55rag
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2022 3:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Rear transmission mount Reply with quote

I've used one in the past and was never impressed with how the strap fit. I don't think they are very effective.

I am also currently using the CB rhino front transmission mount because I was breaking stock ones and for me it's a pretty good solution. There is a bit more vibration but my car is pretty noisy anyway. I still have HD stock rear mounts though.
18 GTI
55rag
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2022 3:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Rear transmission mount Reply with quote

What are you planning for the engine? If it's stock or near stock you don't need any of that. Just get QUALITY original mounts and you'll be driving in comfort.
18 GTI
extremebuggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2022 3:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Rear transmission mount Reply with quote

55rag wrote:
What are you planning for the engine? If it's stock or near stock you don't need any of that. Just get QUALITY original mounts and you'll be driving in comfort.

Not sure I can use original mounts without changing out the cradle since the cradle is flat and the mounts are curved. So I was just thinking that I could use original mounts if I upgraded to that cradle that JBugs have. Not too concerned with the strap, but I’ll put it on since it comes with it.
Erik G
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2022 3:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Rear transmission mount Reply with quote

extremebuggy wrote:
55rag wrote:

Not sure I can use original mounts without changing out the cradle since the cradle is flat and the mounts are curved. So I was just thinking that I could use original mounts if I upgraded to that cradle that JBugs have. Not too concerned with the strap, but I’ll put it on since it comes with it.

JBugs = mostly crap

get an original cradle and original rubber mounts, or the CB mounts
View user's profile Send private message Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
NJ John
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2022 3:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Rear transmission mount Reply with quote

Empi sells this one. It’s HD like the solid mount, but allows for stock or poly mounts. I like it so far.
https://www.youtube.com/@AirSpooledGarage
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
extremebuggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2022 3:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Rear transmission mount Reply with quote

NJ John wrote:

Empi sells this one. It’s HD like the solid mount, but allows for stock or poly mounts. I like it so far.

That looks just like the EMPI that I was looking at from JBugs.
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2022 5:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Rear transmission mount Reply with quote

I am running a solid mount on my street Buggy. Ya you get more engine “feel” through your seat. Otherwise no big deal no increase in noise at all. Works just fine, if I had the stock soft mounts my air cleaners would be banging on the body with each shift and over the bumps.

I am running a solid mount on my sand rail too.

Last edited by oprn on Wed Sep 28, 2022 5:27 pm; edited 1 time in total
modok
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2022 5:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Rear transmission mount Reply with quote

I don't see any big problem with using a solid rear mount in a buggy.
The frame horns have a lot of flex so it isn't really that "solid"
If you solve the problem of the frame horns flexing then you may need to go back to rubber mountings.

But I would recommend a rubber or urethane nosecone mount in any case, make the nosecone mount MORe solid than the frame then it's trying to BE the frame and that can cause some problems.
nsracing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2022 5:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Rear transmission mount Reply with quote

Solid mounts will undo all your tooth fillings from the vibrations. Laughing

Use the GB 645P - original German hard rubbers. They will go on early cradles. I used them on later cars and convert the cradle is all.

These German rubber mounts are hard. NOt same as the Indian garbage too soft for my taste.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
extremebuggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2022 6:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Rear transmission mount Reply with quote

Lots of good and different thoughts on whether to use rear mounts or not. I may end up just not using any mounts and see how it feels. Worst case it’s too much vibration and I just have a reason to tear it back down to add the mounts.
modok
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2022 7:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Rear transmission mount Reply with quote

extremebuggy wrote:
I may end up just not using any mounts and see how it feels.

Hmm, without mountings what holds it in?
I have heard some stories about the trans falling out at speed Laughing
extremebuggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2022 7:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Rear transmission mount Reply with quote

modok wrote:
extremebuggy wrote:
I may end up just not using any mounts and see how it feels.

Hmm, without mountings what holds it in?
I have heard some stories about the trans falling out at speed Laughing

I would just keep it like the photo and keep the flat steel cradle and not have any rubber mounts between the bell housing and the cradle. But I would do as suggested and make sure to have a rubber or urethane nose cone mount.

Last edited by extremebuggy on Wed Sep 28, 2022 7:11 pm; edited 1 time in total
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: