Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Rear transmission mount
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
modok
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2022 7:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Rear transmission mount Reply with quote

Ah, ok. Nice!
DerrickfromNC1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2023 9:51 am    Post subject: Re: Rear transmission mount Reply with quote

extremebuggy wrote:
NJ John wrote:
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Empi sells this one. It’s HD like the solid mount, but allows for stock or poly mounts. I like it so far.

That looks just like the EMPI that I was looking at from JBugs.

Where can I find that rear cradle above. I found this one below which looks more like a reproduction rather than a HD like the one above.

Also this urethane mount has less than 1000 miles and fell apart on my car that has been on jackstands and not seen any road time in over 20yrs.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
DerrickfromNC1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2023 11:31 am    Post subject: Re: Rear transmission mount Reply with quote

Looks like I’m out of luck on obtaining this HD rear cradle as it is part of the EMPI rear trans strap kit:

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
NJ John
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2023 12:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Rear transmission mount Reply with quote

They do sell it without the straps. Empi # 18-1106
https://www.youtube.com/@AirSpooledGarage
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
DerrickfromNC1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2023 12:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Rear transmission mount Reply with quote

NJ John wrote:
They do sell it without the straps. Empi # 18-1106

Thanks NJ, I picked one up from “Carolina Dune Buggies” the other day. Waiting on a bolt on mid mount, and a set of HD(grey rubber) front and rear motor mounts that I ordered. Plan to next order a bolt on Truss bar just can’t decide which one….empi or the Coolrydes version that ties in a 3 points.

jeffrey8164 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2023 3:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Rear transmission mount Reply with quote

I got the Coorydes version.
Went on fairly easily.
My only suggestion is to chase out the threads with a tap first or at least make sure the heim joints turn in smoothly.

“Let he that is without oil throw the first rod”
(Compression 8.7:1)
NJ John
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2023 6:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Rear transmission mount Reply with quote

Truss bar is next for me, too.
https://www.youtube.com/@AirSpooledGarage
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
67rustavenger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2023 6:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Rear transmission mount Reply with quote

jeffrey8164 wrote:
I got the Coorydes version.
Went on fairly easily.
My only suggestion is to chase out the threads with a tap first or at least make sure the heim joints turn in smoothly.

The only bummer with the truss bar kit is. You can't use your heat transfer tubes.

How are you supposed to chasse the reverse threads?

When I bought my kit. I had a hard time with the threaded ends.
I hit up Kevin on a Saturday (email). I was surprised he actually responded that day.
Kevin said he'd cover the cost of a replacement, if I galled the reverse threaded ends, while turning in the heim joints.

If you're gonna hard launch the car. Tighten the right side as best as you can. It will help with the wheel hop! Wink

There's never enough time to do it right the first time. But there's always enough time to do it thrice.
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo!
jeffrey8164 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2023 7:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Rear transmission mount Reply with quote

With reverse Taps of course.
I didn't pay attention to any side specifically. I gave all the rods about the same preload and tightened it all down.
I'm not a track star, I just rip it up on deserted streets and parking lots.
This bar and a mid mount and haven't experienced any hop whether in a straight line or slow donuts.

“Let he that is without oil throw the first rod”
(Compression 8.7:1)
DerrickfromNC1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2023 2:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Rear transmission mount Reply with quote

Is anyone using the Truss bar with an automatic beetle starter. I was wondering if there was a clearance issue between the two? The EMPI catalog states that it will not fit with the larger Bosch SR-17 autostick starter or other oversized starter.

Thanks

Last edited by DerrickfromNC1 on Fri Jan 27, 2023 3:53 pm; edited 1 time in total
67rustavenger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2023 2:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Rear transmission mount Reply with quote

DerrickfromNC1 wrote:
Is anyone using the Truss bar with an beetle starter. I was wondering if there was a clearance issue between the two? The EMPI catalog states that it will not fit with the larger Bosch SR-17 autostick starter or other oversized starter.

Thanks

Derrick, I have a stock starter in my 67. The truss bar clears the starter with no issues.

I can't speak for the AutoStick starter clearance.

There's never enough time to do it right the first time. But there's always enough time to do it thrice.
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo!
DerrickfromNC1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2023 3:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Rear transmission mount Reply with quote

DerrickfromNC1 wrote:
Is anyone using the Truss bar with an automatic beetle starter. I was wondering if there was a clearance issue between the two? The EMPI catalog states that it will not fit with the larger Bosch SR-17 autostick starter or other oversized starter.

Thanks
DerrickfromNC1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2023 5:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Rear transmission mount Reply with quote

Upon further review, it appears that my automatic starter is about 1.5” longer than a standard starter. This positions the solenoid right in the path of the horizontal truss bar connecting the shock towers. Fortunately I only pd. $15 for this used starter so it won’t hurt too bad to switch it out.
DerrickfromNC1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2024 11:40 am    Post subject: Re: Rear transmission mount Reply with quote

Duralast front transmission mount from Autozone that was in my spare parts bin. It was purchased at least a couple yrs ago.

Studs are molded in crooked, went back to get a 2nd one Saturday and it was identical. I guess at $5.00 this is what you get. This may not be a issue for a trans with a factory nose cone but I have a older Transform 5speed with a different nose cone and these crooked studs are a no go.
nextgen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2024 2:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Rear transmission mount Reply with quote

One type of Mount I totally believe should be thought about to use and they are cheap in the $30 to $50 range is the mid engine mount. Yes it does toughen the ride a but it does prevent the original engine/tranny mount from breaking. The pulling the engine out is not fun.
LETS TALK DUBS https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=joe+cali+ghia https://letstalkdubs.libsyn.com/ep-200-joe-cali-ty...qI3xJTCzjs
RickS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2024 4:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Rear transmission mount Reply with quote

nextgen wrote:
One type of Mount I totally believe should be thought about to use and they are cheap in the $30 to $50 range is the mid engine mount. Yes it does toughen the ride a but it does prevent the original engine/tranny mount from breaking. The pulling the engine out is not fun.

How does a mid mount affect pulling the engine?
DerrickfromNC1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2024 4:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Rear transmission mount Reply with quote

RickS wrote:
nextgen wrote:

Doesn’t affect pulling the engine……pulling transmission yes.
nextgen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2024 10:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Rear transmission mount Reply with quote

i think i'm dyslexic, yipes !!!
LETS TALK DUBS https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=joe+cali+ghia https://letstalkdubs.libsyn.com/ep-200-joe-cali-ty...qI3xJTCzjs
RickS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2024 6:14 am    Post subject: Re: Rear transmission mount Reply with quote

DerrickfromNC1 wrote:
RickS wrote:
nextgen wrote:

Doesn’t affect pulling the engine……pulling transmission yes.

Do you think I didn’t know this? Very Happy
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: