Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

subaru swap questions
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sash_Bay
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2022 6:19 pm    Post subject: Re: subaru swap questions Reply with quote

I didn't read the entire thread yet, but noticed you were looking for a 091. I decided not to go through with the swap. I have this built by Rancho.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2580354

Owned:
68,69,70,& 71
65 Standard Split
67 Bug
66 Fastback
68 Ghia
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
W1K1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2022 7:53 am    Post subject: Re: subaru swap questions Reply with quote

Mines at Benco right now getting the gear swap, you're a couple weeks too late for me.

Sash_Bay wrote:
I didn't read the entire thread yet, but noticed you were looking for a 091. I decided not to go through with the swap. I have this built by Rancho.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2580354

1973 super
1965 squareback 1500E
1971 bay window westy- subi swap
W1K1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2022 8:12 pm    Post subject: Re: subaru swap questions Reply with quote

metahacker wrote:

As for motors.... all the US VW guys seem to love chasing down clapped out junkyard bullshit subarus that were trashed for 250K miles by soccer moms and then spending months of their precious lives dealing with all the bullshit of picking them apart and putting them back together again in the veedub

seems like a fun hobby but in my not so humble opinion - JDM front cuts are the only way to go if you're not going to do something epic like using a 0 mile brand new dealer block. JDM swaps (from reputable vendors that are actually getting japanese stuff and not random junk from other markets) generally always have <50K miles on them and are clean AF. and im not talking out of my ass here ive had multiple JDM swapped cars in the past. those engines coming from japan are the best. and you usually get the complete harness and all the other shit you could want - transmission, axles, ECU, etc. with it. and they'll typically be obscenely cheap on top of it all...... the argument that they are somehow obscure, esoteric or not practical to work with in the states isn't really valid (unless you're talking about an extreme edge case like the EE20 Subaru TDI that was never sold in theUS), either. perhaps lack of knowledge/experience on the part of the installer, sure. but the entire japanese car tuning scene in the states is centered around JDM swapping....

I think the obsession with the earlier SOHC stuff makes sense from a practicality perspective but the EZ30R is really the motor that belongs in a Bus. It has the torque and HP output to really make the blasphemization of non-aircooling an unquestionably worthy pursuit. People haven't quite come to grips with CAN-BUS, the immoblizer and the Drive-by-wire yet... but hey, in due time. It's less than 1" larger than the EJ25 and <50lbs heavier... so there's no legitimate gripe there on 6 vs 4.

a MAP based SOHC pre-CAN EJ25 is relatively straightforward and practical-)

I started to look at JDM engine suppliers on line, a lot of low mileage engines, but nobody selling the harness and ECU, and I just don’t have the knowledge base to rely on locally for Subaru info and help

The classifieds locally have lots of Subaru listings for SOHC 2000-2004 EJ2.5’s in the 200-300km mileage, but the prices are stupid with the availability of new cars still crap. And cheap under $2500 Cdn are all slipped timing belt (engine needs work) or DOHC 98-99 donors

I keep looking, and it’s winter now, so I keep watching for the “got rear ended Subaru for parts” in the classified. There was one the other day for a newer 6cyl that got T boned

1973 super
1965 squareback 1500E
Shonandb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2022 12:35 am    Post subject: Re: subaru swap questions Reply with quote

I came across a local licensed dismantler here in Vancouver who has a small shop where he bids on mainly North American built Japanese Car (Toyota, Subaru, Mitsubishi, etc) ICBC write offs and then parts them out.

I told him that I was looking for a low mileage Subaru 2.5L SOHC from 2000 to 2005 and he called me about 4 months later saying that there was a 2000 with 150,000 kms that had some light body damage. We agreed on a price ($800) for whatever I wanted from the car and he would take care of the rest. I went and saw the car running, drove it and took what I wanted over the weekend.

I removed the whole dash, heater & A/C unit, switches and control units, hoses, steering wheel, took pics of the VIN, removed the wiring harness from the engine all the way back to the gas tank, and took the radio and all 4 speakers too. There hasn't been anything else that I've needed from the donor since. Also, take lots of pictures before and during the removal process. I had access to the shell for another few weeks but didn't need anything else.

Maybe you can find a similar set up in Calgary over the winter.
Previous 1973 Panel Bus:
Click to view image

Last edited by Shonandb on Thu Nov 10, 2022 9:36 am; edited 1 time in total
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2022 12:47 am    Post subject: Re: subaru swap questions Reply with quote

it's best to buy the whole donor that way you have the VIN for future parts/wiring diagrams etc.

to put it bluntly- I won't do a swap without a VIN for a lot of reasons, but the main one is I get a new short block from Subaru. I won't even fuck with used engines, not worth it to me so milage isn't near as important when I look for a donor as most of it is getting tossed.

that and if you cut the wrong wires removing the harness, you're fucked. there are some shieled wires for the o2/cam/crank sensors etc that are NOT repairable (easily that is) so used harnesses are a real gamble

JDM stuff is a joke. It's the same used junk you can find locally. I have never met anyone that has had good luck with any JDM engines

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:
most VW enthusiasts are stuck in 80's price land.

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
W1K1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2022 10:29 am    Post subject: Re: subaru swap questions Reply with quote

Shonandb wrote:
I came across a local licensed dismantler here in Vancouver who has a small shop where he bids on mainly North American built Japanese Car (Toyota, Subaru, Mitsubishi, etc) ICBC write offs and then parts them out.

I told him that I was looking for a low mileage Subaru 2.5L SOHC from 2000 to 2005 and he called me about 4 months later saying that there was a 2000 with 150,000 kms that had some light body damage. We agreed on a price ($800) for whatever I wanted from the car and he would take care of the rest. I went and saw the car running, drove it and took what I wanted over the weekend.

Maybe you can find a similar set up in Calgary over the winter.

Calgary has a lot of options for used Subaru parts, but I am 2 hours south in Lethbridge, so my best bet is a runner that I can drive home and strip in the garage and send the carcass to the pick and pull.

Quote:
it's best to buy the whole donor that way you have the VIN for future parts/wiring diagrams etc.

to put it bluntly- I won't do a swap without a VIN for a lot of reasons, but the main one is I get a new short block from Subaru. I won't even fuck with used engines, not worth it to me so milage isn't near as important when I look for a donor as most of it is getting tossed.

I agree this makes a lot of sense Skills
what is the current price in the US for a short block?
I haven't checked with the local Subaru dealer since I don't have a donor VIN , but the exchange is x1.34 right now for the US dollar

what about the 98-99 EJ2.5 DOHC donors? are they worth looking at?

1973 super
1965 squareback 1500E
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2022 10:58 am    Post subject: Re: subaru swap questions Reply with quote

last s/b I bought was just under 2k a couple months ago.

I can't speak to the canadian market in terms of what to use, not sure how much they varied, but I like 99-04 here, just before the DBW came into play. DBW isn't bad, just complicates things

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
Shonandb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2022 3:06 pm    Post subject: Re: subaru swap questions Reply with quote

skills@eurocarsplus wrote:
last s/b I bought was just under 2k a couple months ago.

I can't speak to the Canadian market in terms of what to use, not sure how much they varied, but I like 99-04 here, just before the DBW came into play. DBW isn't bad, just complicates things

I looked into this back in 2017-18. Canadian models from 99-2004 are almost identical to the US models, just a different VIN, but the parts (& Subaru part numbers) are all the same.

I wasn't able to find a s/b available in the Canadian Market so I would have had to order and ship from the US which would have added another CAN$1000+ (shipping, duty, and taxes) to the US$ s/b price. Even having it shipped to Point Roberts or Blaine WA and driving down to pick it up would have added another ~$500 so I looked for a low mileage donor and rebuilt the heads and did the new timing belt kit, seals, and gaskets.

This engine should easily last 200,000 miles with just regular oil changes and maintenance before having to do the head gaskets and timing belt kit again.
Previous 1973 Panel Bus:
Click to view image
W1K1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2022 9:36 am    Post subject: Re: subaru swap questions Reply with quote

metahacker wrote:

RADIATORS WORK PROPERLY ON THE HIGHWAY WHEN YOU FORCE AIR THROUGH THEM
so whatever the strategy is - watch a couple youtube videos on aerodynamics, race car ducting fabrication, etc. - be conscious about "where is the air coming in" and how to "trap" it and "how is it coming back out"

just having a radiator hanging out somewhere will do some heat transfer, but the air flow will generally do everything it can to AVOID going through the radiator.

I spent a while spiraling down the wormhole on youtube on the weekend watching aerodynamics videos, after my hands got too tired to hold tools (sux getting older)
https://www.youtube.com/c/JulianEdgar
there is a few of his videos that have interesting info, using a magnahelic gauge to test flows in and out of the radiator, aerodynamic effects of belly pans, there was even a mention about the design of the VW bus aerodynamics.

1973 super
1965 squareback 1500E
Shonandb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2022 10:49 am    Post subject: Re: subaru swap questions Reply with quote

I've run my stock Subaru belly rad set up without any duct work (protected by a coarse screen) for 2 years now using the fans to cool it connected to a temp switch. You can hear the fans cycle on and off when idling at a stop but I don't notice them when driving above the road noise.

The rad is angled so air flows through it and the fans rarely turn on while driving on regular roads (30 to 50mph) but on the Hwy in the summer, they cycle on and off regularly (watching the temp gauges before and after the rad).

Doing some work to the Bus this week and will make up and add a cooling duct/air scoop to force air through the rad to see how that changes things and will report after a few trips. Also moving the rad forward to make room to add the condenser and fan for connecting and making the A/C functional.
Previous 1973 Panel Bus:
Click to view image
W1K1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2022 3:53 pm    Post subject: Re: subaru swap questions Reply with quote

can you take a couple pictures while you're under there?

1973 super
1965 squareback 1500E
Shonandb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2022 7:26 pm    Post subject: Re: subaru swap questions Reply with quote

Will do.
Previous 1973 Panel Bus:
Click to view image
metahacker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2022 2:57 pm    Post subject: Re: subaru swap questions Reply with quote

W1K1 wrote:
metahacker wrote:
As for motors.... all the US VW guys seem to love chasing down clapped out junkyard bullshit subarus that were trashed for 250K miles by soccer moms and then spending months of their precious lives dealing with all the bullshit of picking them apart and putting them back together again in the veedub

seems like a fun hobby but in my not so humble opinion - JDM front cuts are the only way to go if you're not going to do something epic like using a 0 mile brand new dealer block. JDM swaps (from reputable vendors that are actually getting japanese stuff and not random junk from other markets) generally always have <50K miles on them and are clean AF. and im not talking out of my ass here ive had multiple JDM swapped cars in the past. those engines coming from japan are the best. and you usually get the complete harness and all the other shit you could want - transmission, axles, ECU, etc. with it. and they'll typically be obscenely cheap on top of it all...... the argument that they are somehow obscure, esoteric or not practical to work with in the states isn't really valid (unless you're talking about an extreme edge case like the EE20 Subaru TDI that was never sold in theUS), either. perhaps lack of knowledge/experience on the part of the installer, sure. but the entire japanese car tuning scene in the states is centered around JDM swapping...

I started to look at JDM engine suppliers on line, a lot of low mileage engines, but nobody selling the harness and ECU, and I just don’t have the knowledge base to rely on locally for Subaru info and help

JDM swaps usually [can] come with everything. ECU...complete wiring harness.. transmission...even axles..

nowadays it seems some importers are trying to break things up to sell it a little more piecemeal, but all the bits that go together are all available. in the past, it was customary and traditional to just send you a palette full of all the cars guts.

in Japan, they are basically cutting off the front of a car and shipping it over.
all that stuff makes it here with the importer, its not "NLA"

JDM swaps are everything in the world of japanese tuner cars (in America)
it's uncommon (for tuners) to do something like swapping a Subaru/Honda/etc engine from a wrecked US car - why bother when they can just go to an importer?

hunting down clapped out junk subarus on copart.com craigslist, etc. and spending countless hours tearing the car apart to free the engine/harness/ecu might be fun and all.... why not just buy a $1,500 engine with 40k miles on it... harness and ECU is already freed up and ready go to..

people get rid of cars in japan when they're only ~7 years old and only drive about 5,500 miles per year (it's an island that is only 2,300 miles from one end to the other...). they're also obsessive about not having an old car (if you dig into it, you will see that it's not practical to even keep an older car registered over there, not to mention ... and culturally, people aren't into old stuff unless it's hip.)....they also take way better care of their cars than the typical american, particularly the average family who drove their subaru until it ended up in the junkyard...

90% of motor swaps on a subaru forum will be JDM, even people just "fixing" their dead car....if that tells you anything.
Shonandb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2022 6:18 pm    Post subject: Re: subaru swap questions Reply with quote

metahacker wrote:
W1K1 wrote:
metahacker wrote:

seems like a fun hobby but in my not so humble opinion - JDM front cuts are the only way to go if you're not going to do something epic like using a 0 mile brand new dealer block. JDM swaps (from reputable vendors that are actually getting japanese stuff and not random junk from other markets) generally always have <50K miles on them and are clean AF. and im not talking out of my ass here ive had multiple JDM swapped cars in the past. those engines coming from japan are the best. and you usually get the complete harness and all the other shit you could want - transmission, axles, ECU, etc. with it. and they'll typically be obscenely cheap on top of it all...... the argument that they are somehow obscure, esoteric or not practical to work with in the states isn't really valid (unless you're talking about an extreme edge case like the EE20 Subaru TDI that was never sold in theUS), either. perhaps lack of knowledge/experience on the part of the installer, sure. but the entire japanese car tuning scene in the states is centered around JDM swapping...

JDM swaps usually [can] come with everything. ECU...complete wiring harness.. transmission...even axles..

nowadays it seems some importers are trying to break things up to sell it a little more piecemeal, but all the bits that go together are all available. in the past, it was customary and traditional to just send you a palette full of all the cars guts.

in Japan, they are basically cutting off the front of a car and shipping it over.
all that stuff makes it here with the importer, its not "NLA"

JDM swaps are everything in the world of japanese tuner cars (in America)
it's uncommon (for tuners) to do something like swapping a Subaru/Honda/etc engine from a wrecked US car - why bother when they can just go to an importer?

hunting down clapped out junk subarus on copart.com craigslist, etc. and spending countless hours tearing the car apart to free the engine/harness/ecu might be fun and all.... why not just buy a $1,500 engine with 40k miles on it... harness and ECU is already freed up and ready go to..

people get rid of cars in japan when they're only ~7 years old and only drive about 5,500 miles per year (it's an island that is only 2,300 miles from one end to the other...). they're also obsessive about not having an old car (if you dig into it, you will see that it's not practical to even keep an older car registered over there, not to mention ... and culturally, people aren't into old stuff unless it's hip.)....they also take way better care of their cars than the typical american, particularly the average family who drove their subaru until it ended up in the junkyard...

90% of motor swaps on a subaru forum will be JDM, even people just "fixing" their dead car....if that tells you anything.

Yes, I lived in Japan for 12 years, from 95 to 2007 and go back regularly. I bought a 10 year old car there that had 30,000kms on it and that was normal. Basically a new car except for the rubber as the constant sun and heat in the summer takes it toll. Domestic Japanese cars have a lot more options than North American built Japanese cars.

But, most JDM cars imported usually get beat on and wound out quickly so they tend to be fairly beat if buying from another person here in NA. Buy directly from an importer or ask them to find a specific model as then you'll get what you want but Japanese like tuning and racing too so you may get a low mileage but raced engine even from an importer.
Previous 1973 Panel Bus:
Click to view image
metahacker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2022 10:17 pm    Post subject: Re: subaru swap questions Reply with quote

yah, i would agree jdm "cars" brought to america probably all get ragged out by enthusiasts

but there is a whole industry in japan of cutting up low mileage jdm cars (e.g. junkyards) and exporting the parts to other countries

for example:
https://jspecauto.com/en/subaru/engines/subaru-out...-for-sale/

$ 1,095 for a Subaru flat-6 3.0L (EZ30 "D" aka mk1 pre CANBUS) .. with low miles
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2022 10:22 pm    Post subject: Re: subaru swap questions Reply with quote

imho you're a fool if you go JDM

I'm all over Gods green earth with subaru shit and can tell you anyone trying to do a JDM swap runs into giant roadblocks when trying to sort out the harness.

The parts are different enough that electronically you can really paint yourself into a corner.

with 20+ swaps under my belt if JDM made sense you'd hear me talk about it. Plus you never know how someone will remove the harness. 1 cut thru a shieled cable and the harness is junk

[email protected] wrote:

Jake Raby wrote:

Brian wrote:
metahacker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2022 1:17 am    Post subject: Re: subaru swap questions Reply with quote

Hmm "a fool if you go jdm", that's a bit heavy handed.... :)

in terms of the EJ25 SOHC pre-CAN engines that your conversions are focused on... those were never even offered as a JDM engine - so yes, they are apples and oranges

trying to take a JDM EJ25 DOHC and wire it as if it was a US EJ251 would be a train wreck, sure. they are simply just NOT the same engine. the more recent JDM version of the "EJ25" NA wasn't even available here.

you would just use the original harness and ECU from japan (or a Viper or Link ECU or something if you really wanted...but what's the point for a NA 4 cylinder)...and of the two "cheapskate" choices of spending months parting out some 200+K clapped out US soccer mom outback POS only to just throw the engine in as-is (without a rebuild or new short block) in all its oil burning glory, vs. swapping even an obscure AF JDM 4 cylinder with ~50K miles for similar/less money than the cost of said beater ... well...... you can see why im making this comparison. even choosing something where you're just asking for confusion, like an EE20 turbo diesel flat-4 is doable.....if its so cheap that you can you buy two complete swaps you may be all set in terms of parts. :) JDM stuff is dirt cheap so buying replacements from the land of the rising sun is not the end of the world - a seemingly endless supply of low mileage complete replacement engines for $800-2000... the main thing is just to understand what is what and avoid oddball shit like some JDM only EJ25D that you don't have a harness or ECU for. not worth all the hassle.

the more time than money approach doesn't work for everyone -
like customers who have enough money to pay a famous pro guy to do a "factory style" swap...
they just want something 100% practical.
"JDM only" can totally be an issue in that regard.

for example - every dude with a JDM Honda VTEC swap in their Honda CRX back in the day used to have to change out the entire VTEC solenoid assembly,
simply because they couldn't figure out how to get a simple replacement gasket when it leaked....
we never had that generation Integra/Civic VTEC engine in the states....
when it came time to find certain parts it was good luck with your JDM swap.

i was the dude who first posted to the interwebz a solution for USDM OBD-0 Acura NSX parts interchange with those early JDM VTEC Civic engines... so I understand, first-hand, the fucking tragedy of having a JDM engine and not knowing what the fuck you can do to fix some dumb shit stateside and being helpless and having to resort to crazy stuff like paying some dude in Japan and using Google Translate to beg him to go ask the dealer and try to ship you parts lol.

that is just one specific case, the US non turbo SOHC EJ25 isnt the only Subaru engine you can put in a Bus...there are plenty of others (that came state side as well and have all the parts you could ever want), most notably the six cylinders...

people are doing plenty of JDM EZ30D swaps into Volkswagens.
a very nice motor for a Bus/Vanagon...
that one is pre-CAN and easier

the CAN EZ30R with the factory ECU is also possible (with some special CAN bits so you aren't forced to do stuff like keep the cluster)...
that mk2 EZ30 engine is a bad mother f....
can also do the EZ36 if you want a real serious stroker

those $1,000+ EZ's are a Japanese Porsche 911 engine
literally only 1" bigger than the EJ, the EZ is freakin awesome
it's not simply a hacked EJ Frankenstein 6 cyl fatty like the EG33 SVX motor (which is nice in its own ways)
i know that's what everyone thinks of when they think Subaru 6
but the EZ is designed to a serious packaging constraint
hence the use of a a timing chain (rated for the life of the engine)
instead of a belt (that needs to be changed)

but YEAH i hear you on the whole US EJ25 vehicle donor + short block approach --
with $2,200 brand new OEM short blocks for the US subarus ...
stripping an old clapped out soccer mom car
but using that new OEM short block (and some other new OEM parts and a good set of heads) is like turning your bus into a brand new subaru from the dealer

it's a pretty great equation. it's a 100% winning formula (if you refresh said clapped out engine).

i get it ..... and an EJ25 bus is exactly how anyone would have wanted the bus to have come in the first place -
nothing more nothing less -
like the perfect dream factory version of what a Bus should be ...
no drastic "need" for more

i daily drive a EJ25 bus now ... its really nice, but....
personally, i like the idea of the JDM EZ30R in a Bus the best :)

it's not as popular, yet.... most experts in the U.S. swap scene still aren't dealing with the CAN versions on factory ECUs (again, using stuff like Link, Viper, Haltech, and previously Weber/Redline, sure.... that's even how most Subaru car guys go with JDM CAN swaps) but for a Bus (and especially a Vanagon) the EZ motor just makes the most sense and is readily available FOB.

that said, the EZ30"D" is an easy swap, doesn't have any of that high tech shit to solve for, is cheap AF and yields a better driving car than an EJ.. if you're gonna "ruin" a magical air cooled truck/van might as well put a real Porsche style engine in it.... the US EJ25 SOHC is cool but there's a bigger world than 1 engine and arguably the JDM EZ30D would be cheaper than a "proper" (0-mile block) US EJ25 swap. but even then, charging money for conversions, though, a 0 mile swap would likely still be my preference for "someone else" if i was being hired to do the work (over a used engine)...although i haven't checked to see if EZ30 US 0 mile blocks are available from the dealer for a similar cheap price so maybe not.

for a relatively straightforward low budget DIY job i would definitely consider the EZ30D JDM its almost stupid how much engine you get for the money.
blue72beetle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2022 6:17 pm    Post subject: Re: subaru swap questions Reply with quote

Would a BN4 heater fit in the engine bay of a Subaru swapped bus?
W1K1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2022 8:26 pm    Post subject: Re: subaru swap questions Reply with quote

blue72beetle wrote:
Would a BN4 heater fit in the engine bay of a Subaru swapped bus?

Probably, but
Why would you want to?
The new diesel heaters are pretty small and pump out lots of heat, and you can run a heater core for real heat / defrost while driving

1973 super
1965 squareback 1500E
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2022 10:07 pm    Post subject: Re: subaru swap questions Reply with quote

my opinion is just that, an opinion.

I have been working with CAN, MOST, LIN, and now FLEXRAY since '99. All i can say is your average vw owner can't find TDC without a 7 page thread. why make the swap more complicated than need be? If someone had a CAN network go down in a swap their brain would leak out of their ears.

aftermarket ECU's are fine IF you enjoy tuning, and that brings a whole new dimension to the swap...hours of dyno time to make it right for example.

you claim a bunch of subaru diesel swaps. I haven't seen many and one reason is the sheer obscurity of the platform in the US.

the SVX and any other 6 is pretty heavy and a pig on fuel. you can literally build a 2.5 na to meet or exceed the hp/torque of a 6 with some head work, crank and cams IF you wanted to go that deep

I have been down the JDM road in a previous life. My brother is a Hondog fanboy who doesn't know which end of the screwdriver to hold and trying to sort the mess of a CRX he had about had us to the point of not being on speaking terms. I just don't see any value in JDM shit, and most of it is a myth anyway (the low miles part for example)

[email protected] wrote:

Jake Raby wrote:

Brian wrote:
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 3 of 10

Jump to: