Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

87 to 22 = 63 (Ghia)
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3
Forum Index -> Ghia Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mnmunky
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2023 6:56 am    Post subject: Re: 87 to 22 = 63 (Ghia) Reply with quote

Well, I haven’t been able to catch up with EvaResto, so I called Limebug.

They had a number I could contact them through ‘WhatsApp’ to save some $$$ on the call (I don’t have a land-line anymore).

So I’ve ordered a kit from them. I will get parts from the next build so in around 3-4 weeks time, I should have parts shipping from the UK to the US.

Their prices on-line, include 20% VAT. As I’m going to have to pay US taxes when it’s shipped here, they take that 20% off when shipping to the US. Looks like I should have a comfy air ride soon and a 4” narrowed front beam.
Rome
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2023 11:40 am    Post subject: Re: 87 to 22 = 63 (Ghia) Reply with quote

Instead of all the work with a narrowed beam, how about ordering a pair of 4.0" (stock width) red wheels for the front axle and then re-mounting your current white(blue)walls?

The "stock" shifter that you bought appears to be for an early '60's Beetle. Although it should work on the Ghia, the correct Ghia shifter is quite a bit different. It has a single rearward bend an inch up beyond the boot, with the bend being much more than on a Beetle. I think a stock Ghia shifter is very elegant, and on my '64 Coupe installed it together with an aluminum short-shift kit. Here's one on an earlier Ghia (Karmann Gheezer gallery), but shows the correct bend.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

John Moxon's lowlight shifter which also shows the correct rearward bend.

You could modify your Beetle shifter by heating the shaft to orange with a torch/MAP gas, bending it rearwards, and if needed also cut off the threaded end to make it shorter, and retap the threads to match your shift knob.
Mnmunky
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2023 3:12 pm    Post subject: Re: 87 to 22 = 63 (Ghia) Reply with quote

Hi Rome
Thanks for the great ideas.
I’ve bought a set of 135 R15s to see me through the next few weeks. They don’t look the best (though I think some of the cool kids might call it ‘stretch’) but it does just work.
I managed to get to a VW swap meet this weekend with the 135 tires.

Doesn’t look ideal, but managed a 45mile round trip without much issue.

The Limebug kit is an air ride system, so once it arrives and I get it fitted, I should be able to dial in the height I want to drive at.

Thanks for the great info on the shifter. The current T shifter is far from ideal. I really don’t like having to have my hand at a specific angle to change gear, that is different to the way I was taught to drive as a kid (all those years ago!!!)

I’ve been trying to get to my welder in the garage since before Christmas (my wife put parts of a bed in my workshop) and today at long last, I’ve finally got it moved to its new home - my Brother-in-laws house!

I can now weld the bracket back on that guides the shifter shaft and finally try out my bushing alternative. Then it will be cracking on with the shifter upright.

I really appreciate the input. I would have been left scratching my head again! I might try and take a scale from the photos to work out how long it should be and the bend angle. It needed repainting anyway, as it came with a bunch of the paint chipped.
Redlabel6
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2023 7:01 pm    Post subject: Re: 87 to 22 = 63 (Ghia) Reply with quote

I wish I had seen you at MGA Saturday!
I had my '57 Oval there since my '73 Ghia is the one up on the rack in Robb's shop.
d
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Mnmunky
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2023 6:15 pm    Post subject: Re: 87 to 22 = 63 (Ghia) Reply with quote

Redlabel6 wrote:
I wish I had seen you at MGA Saturday!
I had my '57 Oval there since my '73 Ghia is the one up on the rack in Robb's shop.
d

Wow! I didn’t realise anyone local was on this site. Very cool!

I saw your Karmann Ghia up in the air at the shop (the green 73) and I think I saw your big too…

Is this one yours?

I was so tempted by the grey early bug they had for sale there. The red interior was shot, but I can just see it now, with the fender dent repaired and a nice refreshed interior. Lowered or otherwise, it would be such a fun and good looking car!

Not a patch on a nice oval though!
Redlabel6
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2023 5:15 am    Post subject: Re: 87 to 22 = 63 (Ghia) Reply with quote

Yes, that's my oval, I can't make myself do the body work or repaint it. I like the "history" it shows. Four different paint colors ending with the red. Not sure if they were going for Aztec red or what, but I like it.

A buddy of mine was looking at that beetle he has for sale too, he almost pulled the trigger on it!

I didn't see your Ghia or I would have asked around to see who you are!

d
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Mnmunky
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2023 3:36 pm    Post subject: Re: 87 to 22 = 63 (Ghia) Reply with quote

I think the next meet for me, will be the Twin Cities VW club meet at Luther Westside VW. I think it’s something like June 4th from memory.

I need to get a few things fixed before then.

Was hoping to have the air-ride kit by then too, but it’s looking unlikely to arrive in time.

Still, it’s usually a nice morning out. Very Happy

Edit: just seen there is a run out to Spring Park and the drive in burger bar there on May 17th in the afternoon / evening. Could be fun if I can get the time out from work!
Redlabel6
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2023 6:24 am    Post subject: Re: 87 to 22 = 63 (Ghia) Reply with quote

I'll be at both of those! Not sure which car right now...Still struggling to get the windshield in the Ghia.

Are you a member of TCVW Club?

d
Mnmunky
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2023 6:21 pm    Post subject: Re: 87 to 22 = 63 (Ghia) Reply with quote

Not been a member of TCVW Club for many years (maybe 15?). When I bought the Ghia, the guy I bought it from was a member of Fahrfromwerkin, so I joined their Facebook club.

Back when I attended a couple of TCVW meetings at Luther I had an Intermeccanica Speedster with a few issues, so didn’t get around much.

I’ll keep an eye out for you on the 17th! I’ll be there in the Ghia as I live on the Island. Hope to catch up with you then! Smile
Mnmunky
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2023 6:01 pm    Post subject: Re: 87 to 22 = 63 (Ghia) Reply with quote

The LimeBug kit is ordered. Just have to wait for it to arrive!

They said it should ship in 2 - 3 weeks, so then it will be wobbling over on a ship! Hopefully it should arrive before June or there abouts.

In other news, I now have working indicators and think the issue I have with the headlights is down to the switch.

This is the switch I have:

But nearly all of the replacement switches have the protruding disc at the front.

Has anyone tried restoring their switch like this? Or replaced it for what looks like a later switch?

Thanks!
Mnmunky
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2023 5:35 pm    Post subject: Re: 87 to 22 = 63 (Ghia) Reply with quote

Redlabel6 - d
Have I just been the most dense person at the Minnetonka Drive In tonight?
We’re you the guy with the long cool looking beard as we were leaving?

So sorry if it was. It didn’t really ‘click’ that your oval was parked next to me. I was thinking you might be there in your green Ghia!

So sorry. Hope to catch up at the St Louis Park show.

Managed to grab a couple of nice pics there.

Redlabel6
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2023 5:50 am    Post subject: Re: 87 to 22 = 63 (Ghia) Reply with quote

probably was... wearing a TCVW Club cap.

The Ghia is still at Robb's, struggling with the windshield.

I was looking for you, got sidetracked by someone a few times, then you were gone!

Are you going to the open house on the 3rd? if not, I'll see you at the Bug-In!

d
Mnmunky
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2023 4:55 pm    Post subject: Re: 87 to 22 = 63 (Ghia) Reply with quote

Not sure what the open house is, but sounds fun.
I might try the Osseo car show this weekend. Depends on family.
Redlabel6
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2023 6:07 am    Post subject: Re: 87 to 22 = 63 (Ghia) Reply with quote

open house at Further Performance, 305 Thomas Ave. N.
Minneapolis MN 55405. Starts at 11, Tristen usually has some food. Then a cruise around the lakes.
Mnmunky
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2023 6:24 pm    Post subject: Re: 87 to 22 = 63 (Ghia) Reply with quote

I made it (somewhat late) to the Osseo foreign car show today.
Some nice cars there.

The hot rod shop on Osseo high street opened their doors to guests too. Some great cars and equipment in there.

Mnmunky
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2023 6:58 pm    Post subject: Re: 87 to 22 = 63 (Ghia) Reply with quote

I was chasing a Ghia today that was part of a field find.

The car was a 59 Lowlite Cab for $200!

The one in the foreground. More than just a bit scruffy… The owner was clearing the field of a large number of cars, including bugs, buses, Ghias and VW/Porsches among others.

He was asking a very reasonable $200 per Ghia. Unfortunately I’m out of space, but if the 59 cab had been there when I arrived, I would have bought it anyway!

More pics of the other treasures.

Super nice guy. He posted an advert at 7pm last night and by 8am this morning, someone had it on the back of a trailer! Just waiting to see where it turns up now in the twin cities.
Mnmunky
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 11, 2023 5:09 pm    Post subject: Re: 87 to 22 = 63 (Ghia) Reply with quote

Well, after missing out on the 58, I went to the local bug-in briefly. My son (14) had a shift at Dairy Queen so had to be gone by 10:30 and even then, that would be tight.

Some stunning cars there. One the way home, 3rd gear decided to play hide and seek, so it looks like more $$$ once the LimeBug kit arrives.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Ghia All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: