Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

72 Rear Drum Brake Adjusters Rusted Together…
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Type 3 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jason37
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2022 9:13 pm    Post subject: Re: 72 Rear Drum Brake Adjusters Rusted Together… Reply with quote

I would take a grinder with a cutoff wheel and cut the star portion off. Then drill out the balance or at least thin the wall enough to use a drift to collapse it. If you’re going to get new backing plates it’s worth the shot.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
tjmartin317
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2022 8:11 am    Post subject: Re: 72 Rear Drum Brake Adjusters Rusted Together… Reply with quote

Jason37 wrote:
I would take a grinder with a cutoff wheel and cut the star portion off. Then drill out the balance or at least thin the wall enough to use a drift to collapse it. If you’re going to get new backing plates it’s worth the shot.

Am I wrong in thinking that removing the stars would be pointless if I just got new backing plates? The block is attached to the plate, and I already have new stars and studs en route.

Quote:
Before you give up, do you know anyone with an Oxy/Acetylene setup?

I probably do. I work at a GMC dealership parts department (it's how I got the MAP gas) The question is do I know anyone nice enough to lend it to me. Some of the techs are a bit standoffish. Would be easier if I could bring the car to the shop, but for obvious reason that won't happen.
Multi69s
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2022 2:10 pm    Post subject: Re: 72 Rear Drum Brake Adjusters Rusted Together… Reply with quote

tjmartin317 wrote:
I probably do. I work at a GMC dealership parts department (it's how I got the MAP gas) The question is do I know anyone nice enough to lend it to me. Some of the techs are a bit standoffish. Would be easier if I could bring the car to the shop, but for obvious reason that won't happen.

Could you remove the backing plates from the car and take them in? You will have to remove them anyway to replace them. If you can, see if there is a metal table that you could C-clamp the backing plates to. That way the backing plates aren't flopping around as you pull on the star.
Gone but not forgotten 72 Baja Bug 2010
My builds
T4 into Squareback http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=458944&highlight=
Auto Trans Rebuild http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=516066&highlight=
AC in Squareback https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...highlight=
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2022 9:28 pm    Post subject: Re: 72 Rear Drum Brake Adjusters Rusted Together… Reply with quote

tjmartin317 wrote:
Am I wrong in thinking that removing the stars would be pointless if I just got new backing plates? The block is attached to the plate, and I already have new stars and studs en route.

Yes, I believe new backing plate will solve your problem. Quality varies, though.

Last edited by KTPhil on Wed Oct 12, 2022 10:22 am; edited 1 time in total
tjmartin317
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2022 5:52 am    Post subject: Re: 72 Rear Drum Brake Adjusters Rusted Together… Reply with quote

Multi69s wrote:

Could you remove the backing plates from the car and take them in? You will have to remove them anyway to replace them. If you can, see if there is a metal table that you could C-clamp the backing plates to. That way the backing plates aren't flopping around as you pull on the star.

If I'm removing the backing plates, I'm not going to bother with trying to salvage the old ones. But considering I have no means of exerting 235lb-ft of torque for those axle nuts to come off/get put back on (barring the rust that's probably gluing them on there), and would have to fire a significant parts cannon of seals and the backing plates themselves... trying to avoid that option, at least for now, otherwise that'll set me back much further than anticipated both time wise and financially.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Type 3 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: