Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1954 oval
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - Oval-Window - 1953-57 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
BBursell
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2022 1:40 pm    Post subject: Re: 1954 oval Reply with quote

VW_Jimbo wrote:
That looks like a deep scratch, from my couch. Cracks typical have a dark portion to them. You sure? You can always brush it with a flame and see if oil will wick out of the crack. If nothing wicks out, it is a scratch.

The rods, crank, and cam can be remachined. Call Jose at DPR, in Santa Ana, CA. He is a master machinist! He also can align bore the case for you, as well as any head work needed. Great guy, great machine shop and fair pricing! Highly recommend him!

Hi Jimbo!

I can feel it with my finger nail, but I'll take a closer look, maybe I can source a penetrating fluid test at work. Thanks for the info on machinists, but I think Im going to get someone more local to me (in Sweden.. lol).

I took a closer look at the front apron today and it has been replaced, it is the generic one with wrong stamping for the release cable and so on. Wolfparts next..
BBursell
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2022 11:47 am    Post subject: Re: 1954 oval Reply with quote

Some more parts have arrived, mix of Virtanen and Wolfparts in there
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2022 11:35 pm    Post subject: Re: 1954 oval Reply with quote

Let the cutting and pasting begin!

There is never enough time to do it right the first time, but all the time necessary the second time!

TDCTDI wrote:
Basically, a whole bunch of fuckery to achieve a look.

67rustavenger wrote:
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo! Smile
BBursell
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2022 1:04 pm    Post subject: Re: 1954 oval Reply with quote

VW_Jimbo wrote:
Let the cutting and pasting begin!

Indeed!
ecallaway
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2022 6:24 pm    Post subject: Re: 1954 oval Reply with quote

BBursell wrote:
Some more parts have arrived, mix of Virtanen and Wolfparts in there

Never heard of Virtanen so did some searching and found their web site. Lot's of useful stuff!! Thanks.

https://restorationpanels.com
VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2022 11:06 pm    Post subject: Re: 1954 oval Reply with quote

Virtanen fabricated some very nice quality panels! Highly recommend him!

There is never enough time to do it right the first time, but all the time necessary the second time!

TDCTDI wrote:

67rustavenger wrote:
BBursell
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2022 1:23 pm    Post subject: Re: 1954 oval Reply with quote

So I did a penetrating fluid test on the suspect rod today, I guess magnafluxing would be a more accepted method?

Used some of this..

And the result is this:

No crack to be found, seems to be a scratch afterall.

Allso ripped one floor half of, air chisel was surprisingly effective.

Just had to take a sliver of at the rear edge as the new floor was slightly long (about 5mm) to make it fit nice.
VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2022 7:41 pm    Post subject: Re: 1954 oval Reply with quote

This is the fun portion! Enjoy it!

Be sure to triple check those pan bolt holes, triangulary, or by setting the body back down.

Looking great!

TDCTDI wrote:

67rustavenger wrote:
ecallaway
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2022 9:07 pm    Post subject: Re: 1954 oval Reply with quote

VW_Jimbo wrote:

Did Virtanen make the rear valence that I see in the box? Or is that from Wolfsburg West? I saw that on the WW site but just received one from Autocraft that looks good so far. I suspect that WW got theirs from Autocraft. With the current exchange rate it was a bit cheaper from Autocraft even with shipping.
lardawge
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2022 7:11 am    Post subject: Re: 1954 oval Reply with quote

I would also test fit the pedal assembly before you paint/powdercoat the pan. I had pan halves where the bolt holes for the pedal stops were off by half an inch.
sunroof
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2022 7:25 am    Post subject: Re: 1954 oval Reply with quote

Quote:
Be sure to triple check those pan bolt holes, triangulary, or by setting the body back down.

Quote:
I would also test fit the pedal assembly before you paint/powdercoat the pan. I had pan halves where the bolt holes for the pedal stops were off by half an inch.

Cannot emphasize this enough. The funky green panels need a lot of adjustment to fit properly. I bought heater channels and floors and they both need a fair amount of work to get them to fit.

Don
VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2022 8:48 am    Post subject: Re: 1954 oval Reply with quote

ecallaway wrote:
VW_Jimbo wrote:

Did Virtanen make the rear valence that I see in the box? Or is that from Wolfsburg West? I saw that on the WW site but just received one from Autocraft that looks good so far. I suspect that WW got theirs from Autocraft. With the current exchange rate it was a bit cheaper from Autocraft even with shipping.

Nope! He does better work than that! I tried a new vendor, since he advertised he had a shop 2 cities away from me. That was my fault. Up side is that he did make a panel that was very close. I just had to make it correct. I would use him again but only knowing that I will need to heavily modify the panel.

Virtanen, for the current 54, has supplied me the door panel patches, the seal channels, and something else but I am drawing a blank. I have been able to locate old stock and old body clips for most of my needs. Oh, Autocraft supplied the rear bumper supports that were horrible. They buckled from the weight of the Bug when bolted to the rotisserie. Had to order those from WolfParts.

I also went back and forth with Mika (Virtanen) on stamping out the rag top inner panel runners. But by the time he had them stamped, a set of old ones, requiring a little bit of love came up for sale. I never got to try those out.

My 2 cents!

TDCTDI wrote:

67rustavenger wrote:

Last edited by VW_Jimbo on Sat Nov 19, 2022 10:47 am; edited 1 time in total
BBursell
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2022 8:59 am    Post subject: Re: 1954 oval Reply with quote

Rear vallance and rear quarters/rear bumper brackets comes from wolfparts https://wolfparts.com/
BBursell
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2022 9:06 am    Post subject: Re: 1954 oval Reply with quote

sunroof wrote:
Quote:

Quote:

Cannot emphasize this enough. The funky green panels need a lot of adjustment to fit properly. I bought heater channels and floors and they both need a fair amount of work to get them to fit.

Don

Wil do, trouble is the bottom half of my heater channels are not there at all anymore so there is not much to compare to, I will try to match up the holes with existing pans but then there is the unknown of the heater channel threaded holes. I have new channels from Klassicfab and I wonder if the holes of them match up with the original channels or the floorpans I'm going to use or perhaps none of those?

I'll take a look at Jimbo's measurements and compare from there..
ecallaway
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2022 9:23 pm    Post subject: Re: 1954 oval Reply with quote

BBursell wrote:
Rear vallance and rear quarters/rear bumper brackets comes from wolfparts https://wolfparts.com/

Thanks! Had not heard of Wolfparts so I assumed the reference was to Wolfsburg West.
VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2022 10:56 am    Post subject: Re: 1954 oval Reply with quote

BBursell wrote:
sunroof wrote:
Quote:

Quote:

Don

Wil do, trouble is the bottom half of my heater channels are not there at all anymore so there is not much to compare to, I will try to match up the holes with existing pans but then there is the unknown of the heater channel threaded holes. I have new channels from Klassicfab and I wonder if the holes of them match up with the original channels or the floorpans I'm going to use or perhaps none of those?

I'll take a look at Jimbo's measurements and compare from there..

They match up 100%. I had no alarming issues. I used the green heater channels and WW pans. All good! If you align the front pan onto the Nap hat end and then align the rear hole at the support arm, it is really close! Set a few tacks. Set one channel onto the pan and finger tighten three bolts. Drop the body down on the new channel and adjust as needed. Tack that side in. Lift and repeat for the other side. Then hoist the body one more time (for this segment) and weld in everything permanently! Done! 4 hours and you are done. Add more time for additional rust repairs!!!!!

TDCTDI wrote:

67rustavenger wrote:
BBursell
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2022 2:33 pm    Post subject: Re: 1954 oval Reply with quote

VW_Jimbo wrote:
Add more time for additional rust repairs!!!!!

I guess so.. Laughing
BBursell
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2022 2:58 am    Post subject: Re: 1954 oval Reply with quote

"I have a cunning plan" as the character Baldric so often said in the Blackadder series. So have I..

As Klassicfab heater channels reputedly are a good fit I bolted them up on the outriggers with the pan half in place and took some shots from underneath to see how far out the pan fitment is..

floorpan and heather channel bolted on.

From underneath it seems most of the holes are to far out from the center of the car, the need to come inwards a fair bit and it gets worse towards the back. I will cut a sliver of the pan next to the tunnel and widen the holes inwards too.. Lengthwise it is all good. Funnyly enought the holes match up fineat the outriggers in both ends

(Sorry for the picture quality)

VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2022 11:14 am    Post subject: Re: 1954 oval Reply with quote

Yep. Par for the course! Make your adjustments. Tack the pan in and set the body down on there. Ought to work a treat! Then onto the other side! You are making good progress!

TDCTDI wrote:

67rustavenger wrote:
BBursell
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2022 11:34 am    Post subject: Re: 1954 oval Reply with quote

VW_Jimbo wrote:
Yep. Par for the course! Make your adjustments. Tack the pan in and set the body down on there. Ought to work a treat! Then onto the other side! You are making good progress!

Thanks Jim!

My cunning plan is something like that. But I have to tack in both pans before tackling the heater channels. The only remains of the heater channels bottoms is the nut plate for the right hand side channel. only the top 2/3 part of the heater channels remains and that part is in very good shape so I guess the body integrity is still ok. Doors are quite ok, only the drivers door hinge pins will need work. Strangely enough, this car never had outside mirrors. It looks clean but I'm not shure I'd dare that so I'm debating myself over hinge pin options..
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Oval-Window - 1953-57 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: