Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Kubelwagen Project
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
55rover
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2022 8:53 pm    Post subject: Kubelwagen Project Reply with quote

Kubelwagen Project

Along with my 1955 threefold rag project (oval forum), I started a replica Kubelwagen project as our RV tow behind vehicle. This topic is a pictorial posting of a remarkable U.S. handmade Kubelwagen replica. The company (actually a couple of people over 30 years) have built over a 100 Kubelwagen replica's and continue to this day. Note to moderator: I'll also link this to the vendor feedback area but I thought this forum would be appropriate for this topic.

Back story
We got into the RV scene through COVID as other travel was out of the question. Our C class Sprinter was small enough to get around the parking lots, but we still wanted a separate tow vehicle for touring around after setting up at an RV park. The tow vehicle problem is twofold. Our Mercedes Sprinter has a 5,000 lb (2,300 kg) towing limit. Current towable vehicles today weigh 4,000 – 5,000 lbs (1,800 –2,300 kg). Even the quintessential Jeep Wrangler is getting fat weighing in at 3,900 lbs (1,769 kg). The thought of maxing my towing capacity during cross country trips just did not set well with me. Additionally, (problem #2) in many U.S. states (lots of differences) towing rules require auxiliary brakes in the towed trailer or vehicle dependent on weight.
Link to state trailer (and vehicle) brake requirements - https://www.brakebuddy.com/towing-laws.html#:~:tex...of%20time.
I’ll save you the analysis. Basically, under 2,000 lbs (900 kg) you are legal to flat tow the vehicle without auxiliary brakes in almost every state (90% rule).

Solution: VW’s are light (1,800 lbs/ 800kg), easily towable and basically cool. I originally looked around for a Type 181 “Thing” and just could not find one that would not require a lot of work. I started to see 1939-1945 period Kubelwagen replicas being traded (next post) and tracked down the manufacturer in Albuquerque NM. (Google “Kubelwagen Replicas” and you will find him). For a fraction of the cost of a late model Jeep he will build (from basically scratch) a WWII accurate Kubel.

Goal: Kubelwagen replica with modern suspension, brakes and engine capable of keeping up with traffic and still retaining the off-road capabilities (and looking cool).

Original Kubelwagen
Engine: 1,100cc 24hp
Transaxle: Swing axle with wheel side reduction gears (transporter style) rotated down for higher clearance, limited slip differential.
Turn signals: none or semaphores
Pan: flat panels with early upright seats

My Reproduction Kubelwagen (initial thoughts)
Engine: 1,600cc with a bent toward reliability
Transaxle: Swing axle or IRS (unsure)
Turn signals: Modern signals with little visual impact
Other: at least a 500 mile fuel range

Future posts
- Kubelwagen market
- Chassis
- Engine
- Brakes
- Transaxle
- Construction (over a year)
- Added features
- Delivery and testing

Visual goal

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Last edited by 55rover on Thu Oct 13, 2022 8:08 am; edited 2 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
wbailey2112
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2022 8:05 am    Post subject: Re: Kubelwagen Project Reply with quote

Interesting idea and a very cool replica for sure however at a base price of $20K I think you can find yourself a really nice Thing at or below that price. Take a look at the classifieds here on the Samba or the recent sales on Bring-a Trailer for some current examples.

Also not exactly sure how you're going to get a 500 mile range out of it without adding a second fuel tank.

Good luck...
rayjay
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2022 8:08 am    Post subject: Re: Kubelwagen Project Reply with quote

The issue I have with KWs or 181s is the lack of roll up windows and the soft top. This is why 181s are rust buckets. I think you would be better off with a Baja or else a Suzuki Samurai or Sidekick.
55rover
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2022 2:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Kubelwagen Project Reply with quote

Thanks for the comments. I totally agree the vintage 181's are hard to find without rust. This drove my decision to start with new pans and new metal. Granted it will also rust, but I am starting out with fresh metal.

The soft top keeps the weight down and there is basically no interior to worry about except the seats. The floors drain. The side windows (future post) are not totally weather proof but easily removable. For my application as a sight seeing vehicle, the open cab (with fold down front windshield) was a plus.

Regarding the fuel range, one of the requirements was to get me back should my RV break. The Sprinter carries 54 gallons giving it a ~600 mile range. I wanted the towed vehicle to have the same range. it was solved easily, Kubelwagens had "jerry can" mounts on the fenders. Two 5 gal (20 ltr) cans plus the 14.5 gal (54 ltr) main tank give me well over a 500 mile (800 km) range.

Kubelwagen replica (Older Kubelkraft build) similar to what I ordered. Note Jerry can mount.

Last edited by 55rover on Fri Oct 14, 2022 12:56 pm; edited 3 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
55rover
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2022 6:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Kubelwagen Project Reply with quote

Kubelwagen replica market (U.S.)

My initial research came across a number of U.S. made replica Kubelwagens that are or have been for sale. It was nice to see a few examples before picking out my color combination. I chose the “Special Yellow” basically sand color with a light canvas top.

Below are links to a few others:

1. https://www.oldbug.com/bakerkubel.htm

2. https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1974-volkswagen-kubel-wagon-replica/

3. https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1944-volkswagen-kubelwagen-tribute/

4. https://www.bidsquare.com/online-auctions/thomaston-place/kubel-t-82r-kubelwagen-replica-2273408

Same vehicle as above in video
5. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CSdVdHRz7Ds

6. http://classiccardb.com/volkswagen/162008-world-war-ii-german-1941-kubelwagen-replica.html

7. https://www.hotcars.com/hemmings-1972-vw-kubelwagen-wwii-tribute-car/

Hot Rod Harp
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2022 11:42 am    Post subject: Re: Kubelwagen Project Reply with quote

What are the rectangular things just in front of the mirrors in picture 2 and 6 ?

Thank you.
88 Goldwing GL1500/6 sold

RinTinTin in Waldorf Astoria 1956
BNMike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2022 12:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Kubelwagen Project Reply with quote

Hot Rod Harp wrote:
What are the rectangular things just in front of the mirrors in picture 2 and 6 ?

Thank you.

Turn signals., semaphore style. I have a pair for my type 181 'faux Kubel'.

Mike
55rover
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2022 1:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Kubelwagen Project Reply with quote

Chassis

Originally all VW's had swing axle transaxles. The advent of independent rear suspension ("IRS") was a 1960's innovation. In talking with Steven, the IRS Kubels are far more stable and maneuverable along with the fact that raising the rear suspension to make them look authentic is much easier without the high camber swing axle setups.

Steven had a 1972 chassis donor in the shop, it became mine although not much original is left as the front beam and both pans were replaced. The sunken seat wells were cut out and straight pans (similar to original Kubel) are installed. The front beam mount, tunnel, and rear torsion bar suspension are all that remain original from this 1972 chassis.

Original Kubel chassis

Note flat pans and reduction gear rear swing axles.

My 1972 swing axle Kubel chassis

Note: IRS transaxle and front disk brakes for drivability while retaining the five wide wheels of the original Kubelwagen

Last edited by 55rover on Sat Oct 15, 2022 6:34 am; edited 2 times in total
Joe 20
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2022 7:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Kubelwagen Project Reply with quote

The shop in Abq. has been pumping out repro Kubel's for awhile. There was a place called Skunkwerks at first which then became Kubel(something) and went out of business. Steve worked for them and went off on his own and started Kubelkraft. His are more detailed in MHO. This is the story I heard anyhow.

The best money you will spend is to spring for the 16" rims and proper tires. This "lifts it up" and makes it look more authentic. Also, if he can, have him put several coats of paint on it as well as primer. I looked at one once in Texas that had never been titled and it was rusting in several places along seams, etc. It was painted over the bare metal. I figure it will see a lot of gravel being towed behind an RV. Again, just my opinion...neat idea. Good luck!
55rover
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2022 9:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Kubelwagen Project Reply with quote

Joe 20 wrote:
The shop in Abq. has been pumping out repro Kubel's for awhile. There was a place called Skunkwerks at first which then became Kubel(something) and went out of business. Steve worked for them and went off on his own and started Kubelkraft. His are more detailed in MHO. This is the story I heard anyhow.

The best money you will spend is to spring for the 16" rims and proper tires. This "lifts it up" and makes it look more authentic. Also, if he can, have him put several coats of paint on it as well as primer. I looked at one once in Texas that had never been titled and it was rusting in several places along seams, etc. It was painted over the bare metal. I figure it will see a lot of gravel being towed behind an RV. Again, just my opinion...neat idea. Good luck!

Clearly the 16" wheels and tires have the best look. Unfortunately, practicality got in the way with higher rated tires with better handling characteristics. The 15" wheels will have to do. Great thought on the paint issue.
55rover
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2022 9:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Kubelwagen Project Reply with quote

The body is hand crafted out of tube and stamped steel, a surprising amount of steel.

55rover
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2022 10:44 am    Post subject: Re: Kubelwagen Project Reply with quote

Transmission

The transmission is a 4.12 X .82 Benco "Freeway Flyer" which means the 4th gear is a "higher" ratio (meaning faster speed with same engine RPM @.82) and a 4.12 ring and pinion gear. Specifically, the chart shows the range of gearing.

RPM 1,000 to 4,500
Speed in MPH
1st gear - 5 to 22
2nd gear - 9 to 40
3rd gear - 15 to 65
4th gear - 22 to 100

Basically top speed for me is 75mph at a reasonable 3,500 RPM (for a short period)

A Peloquin ATB clutch limited slip differential was also installed which eliminates the one wheel drive situation when one wheel slips. Not as good as four wheel drive but almost as good. Basically a sand buggy set up with a Kubelwagen body.

Last edited by 55rover on Fri Oct 21, 2022 1:44 pm; edited 2 times in total
55rover
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2022 2:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Kubelwagen Project Reply with quote

Paint

Body complete, paint is "Special Yellow" a green/tan combination seen for the German North Africa campaign.

55rover
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2022 1:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Kubelwagen Project Reply with quote

Interior

Chose light colored top and seats. Very basic interior easily removable.

Rev. Scott
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2022 12:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Kubelwagen Project Reply with quote

That's a lot of frame. Curious about the curb weight when finished.
55rover
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2022 12:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Kubelwagen Project Reply with quote

Rev. Scott wrote:
That's a lot of frame. Curious about the curb weight when finished.

Steven ships these overseas. 1,800 lbs completed with empty fuel tank. Almost exactly what an original Beetle weighs.

My Kubel on the left, the other two went to Japan.

obieoberstar
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2022 10:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Kubelwagen Project Reply with quote

Very cool. I would be proud to drive that.
74 Thing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2022 11:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Kubelwagen Project Reply with quote

How much was the transmission?
55rover
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2022 8:21 am    Post subject: Re: Kubelwagen Project Reply with quote

74 Thing wrote:
How much was the transmission?

About $1,800 for the performance transaxle, the limited slip diff adds another $1,500. My planned use dictated the additional traction control.

55rover
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2022 3:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Kubelwagen Project Reply with quote

Engine selection

My goal for the vehicle is to be very reliable remote location vehicle with fewest things that can go wrong. Excluding the engine, there is almost nothing on a Type 1 that needs much care with the exception of the tires. Dirt simple.

For the engine I selected a crate engine from MOFOCO. MOFOCO has a distinct reputation for quality engines in addition to their own hi-performance heads and proprietary hydraulic lifters. While I am not looking for a street sleeper, I do want enough HP to perform on the highway and have enough torque for low speed crawling in the boonies.

Selection

- 1,600 dual port (biggest stock VW displacement)
- counter weighted crank (for smoothness and vibration)
- MOFOCO 041 heads (better cooling and slight performance increase)
- hydraulic lifters (never adjust them)
- Alternator upgrade (90 amp)
- Dual pulley serpentine belt (modern belt system)
- Remote filter (easy decision)
- Electronic ignition (no mechanical points or condenser)
- Weber progressive single carb (Extra 10-15 HP and higher RPM)

Now if I can just get it (been on order for over a year, Sept 2021)

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: