Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Kubelwagen Project
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mike Sal
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2022 6:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Kubelwagen Project Reply with quote

You might find the kar is a little skittish at speed. Mine is. It was built by skunkwerks back in 2007 on a 1970 chassis. I added 50lbs of lead in the front end which helped. I'm a reenactor & made a lot of changes to mine to make it look more authentic (especially the fenders). I also re-did the suspension to gain the proper ground clearance as an original. These may not be as important to you.
55rover
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2022 7:30 am    Post subject: Re: Kubelwagen Project Reply with quote

Mike Sal wrote:
You might find the kar is a little skittish at speed. Mine is. It was built by skunkwerks back in 2007 on a 1970 chassis. I added 50lbs of lead in the front end which helped. I'm a reenactor & made a lot of changes to mine to make it look more authentic (especially the fenders). I also re-did the suspension to gain the proper ground clearance as an original. These may not be as important to you.

Thanks Mike for the observations. I will have an extra fuel can on the front. I can experiment with either 30 lbs of fuel or 40 lbs of water to test out handling. I left off the German markings on this build. A little sensitive to the unknown destinations we will be visiting. You never know.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mr white
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2022 5:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Kubelwagen Project Reply with quote

I just read this thread. I was skeptical at first. The end result in
My opinion looks great! Are you selling a kit or blue print with a parts list of materials and needed quantities to complete? Looks like fun.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
55rover
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2022 8:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Kubelwagen Project Reply with quote

mr white wrote:
I just read this thread. I was skeptical at first. The end result in
My opinion looks great! Are you selling a kit or blue print with a parts list of materials and needed quantities to complete? Looks like fun.

Kubelkraft of Albuquerque is the manufacturerer. I was very surprised at the base level fabrication done on these replicas. Basically scratch built with square tubing and precut metal panels. Below is a photo of the pre assembly metal panels.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
55rover
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2023 7:26 am    Post subject: Re: Kubelwagen Project Reply with quote

The engine has shipped from MOFOCO.

- 1,600 dual port (biggest stock VW displacement)
- counter weighted crank (for smoothness and vibration)
- MOFOCO 041 heads (better cooling and slight performance increase)
- hydraulic lifters (never adjust them)
- Alternator upgrade (90 amp)
- Dual pulley serpentine belt (modern belt system)
- Remote filter (easy decision)
- Electronic ignition (no mechanical points or condenser)
- Weber progressive single carb (Extra 10-15 HP and higher RPM)

Link to video of first run: https://www.youtube.com/shorts/x_3dCnBwtSU
55rover
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2023 1:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Kubelwagen Project Reply with quote

Engine tin painted "special yellow" to match the Kubel.

germansupplyscott
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2023 3:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Kubelwagen Project Reply with quote

The mufflers are cool looking. Lots of work went into those I bet.
55rover
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2023 2:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Kubelwagen Project Reply with quote

Weber progressive problem

I guess in WWII they did not anticipate a dual throat carburetor with a large air box on top. Carb and airbox setup just a little to big to clear the engine bay door. Definitely not as spacious as a bus (or a type 1) engine bay. It is amazing what a cutoff grinder and metal patch can do. I think it turned out pretty good.

toxicavenger70
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2023 2:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Kubelwagen Project Reply with quote

Amazing build!!!

Did I really read that it took almost 1.5 years to get that motor? If so I hope it is perfect.
55rover
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2023 2:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Kubelwagen Project Reply with quote

toxicavenger70 wrote:
Amazing build!!!

Did I really read that it took almost 1.5 years to get that motor? If so I hope it is perfect.

Almost that amount of time for delivery. Kubel drive test report coming soon.
toxicavenger70
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2023 3:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Kubelwagen Project Reply with quote

55rover wrote:
toxicavenger70 wrote:
Amazing build!!!

Almost that amount of time for delivery. Kubel drive test report coming soon.

Man that would be upsetting to deal with.

Well good luck with the test drive.
55rover
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2023 2:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Kubelwagen Project Reply with quote

Sunday, February 12 a very long auto transport delivered the Kubel. After much discussion and checking the paperwork it was determined that mine was the bottom vehicle. Some minor assembly will be required and road test next. Thinking there might have been some performance difference between the two vehicles.

55rover
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2023 8:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Kubelwagen Project Reply with quote

Received vehicle mid February and it took a while to sort through the "some assembly required" parts of the Kubel.

- Top is not installed. Required sandwiching front edge into top frame, screwing down and using the leather slots and tabs for securing.
- Side windows - required dropping them into the two rod receptacles in each door and connecting in the center.

Minor issues
- turn signal switch on dashboard was reversed, quick fix.
- trailer connection had a mis wired right turn signal.
- stalled after driving for a bit. Fuel tank vent not working, pulling a vacuum and starving fuel to the engine. Quick fix, cut a slot in the gas tank cork gasket. Will investigate further.

Photos for interest. Tested the limited slip differential by climbing hills at an angle. Diff worked perfectly with a little throttle when slipping. Normal VW transaxle will just spin one tire. Full articulation did not result in any rubbing of the fenders.

Joe 20
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2023 8:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Kubelwagen Project Reply with quote

I hope it's everything you were hoping for and serves you well. Very Happy
55rover
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2023 4:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Kubelwagen Project Reply with quote

Unfortunately, the chassis wiring failed about 10 hours on the vehicle. I came in the next day the the fusible link on the battery had melted. The fused wire had a dead short to ground that could not be isolated and ran the full length of the chassis within the square tubing. Basically the wiring harness going from the back to the front was completely shorted. I could not remove the harness either from the front or back and had to rewire the car. Fortunately, It was only nine wires. Photos and comments below

Blown fusible link

Wiring harness completely grounded

New 16 and 10 gauge wire (Highly recommend https://4rcustomswire.com/ for high quality wire)

Marine 100a (generator) and 30a (main power feed) breakers. Note scorch marks on the left from the fusible link.

Routing inside passenger footwell (no other choice), back to battery then across the transaxle hump to the engine. Separated the high amperage (90a alternator) with the ignition, engine sensors and tail lights.

Added two 16 gauge and one 10 gauge spares bundled under the seat. I don't want to get back into the harness again if I don't have to.

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: