Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

best carbs to replace FI
Forum Index -> 411/412 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
4eleven
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2022 9:40 am    Post subject: best carbs to replace FI Reply with quote

Hi All,
im new here/ to 411s, Ive recently aquired a 2 door 411le sedan which was half way through being completed, its been welded and painted etc just needs the fitting out (new brakes etc) but it has been off the road for quite a few years !
The engine that came with the car (not in it) has a few bits missing on the FI side of it, so my plan is to remove all the old untested FI bits and fit carbs instead.....hopefully to make it more useable/reliable

What are the best after market/size carbs to get? im going to be removing the heads and pistons to give them an overhaul prior to fitting....
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2022 10:16 am    Post subject: Re: best carbs to replace FI Reply with quote

I can't recommend specific carbs, other than to seek what came with the Euro non-FI cars (Solex).

But why not get the FI working? It's pretty bulletproof, once you replace the harness.

Last edited by KTPhil on Thu Oct 13, 2022 2:56 pm; edited 1 time in total
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2022 10:30 am    Post subject: Re: best carbs to replace FI Reply with quote

Weber IDFs are a very common conversion on Buses so they should work on a Type 4

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
heimlich Premium Member
VWNOS.com

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2022 2:13 pm    Post subject: Re: best carbs to replace FI Reply with quote

There's lots of help here in TheSamba on fuel injection. I hear when it runs it's very nice.
5% Off your order with coupon code: 5%OFF
Restored Distributors Available (<--Click here)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2022 2:34 pm    Post subject: Re: best carbs to replace FI Reply with quote

Problem is that it's OBD 0, meaning hard to diagnose.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
heimlich Premium Member
VWNOS.com

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2022 2:41 pm    Post subject: Re: best carbs to replace FI Reply with quote

I hear that once you learn how it all works it's easy to diagnose.
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2022 2:58 pm    Post subject: Re: best carbs to replace FI Reply with quote

heimlich wrote:
There's lots of help here in TheSamba on fuel injection. I hear when it runs it's very nice.

As the great sage Tom Lehrer once sung about New Math:
"It's simple, so very simple, that only a child can do it."
Wink
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2022 2:58 pm    Post subject: Re: best carbs to replace FI Reply with quote

I think you're mistaken

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2022 3:18 pm    Post subject: Re: best carbs to replace FI Reply with quote

Glenn wrote:
I think you're mistaken

That's MISTER Taken to you, sir!
Wink
heimlich Premium Member
VWNOS.com

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2022 3:28 pm    Post subject: Re: best carbs to replace FI Reply with quote

4eleven wrote:
Hi All,
im new here/ to 411s, Ive recently aquired a 2 door 411le sedan which was half way through being completed, its been welded and painted etc just needs the fitting out (new brakes etc) but it has been off the road for quite a few years !
The engine that came with the car (not in it) has a few bits missing on the FI side of it, so my plan is to remove all the old untested FI bits and fit carbs instead.....hopefully to make it more useable/reliable

What are the best after market/size carbs to get? im going to be removing the heads and pistons to give them an overhaul prior to fitting....

Wait for the people that actually have Type4 vehicles to chime in here before you make any decisions. Give them 24 hours to reply. Not a lot of type 4's out there but the people who have them in this forum are really good.
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2022 5:55 pm    Post subject: Re: best carbs to replace FI Reply with quote

Glenn wrote:
Problem is that it's OBD 0, meaning hard to diagnose.

Not really.

The problem is that 90% of the people that dive right into D-jet....patently refuse to do the simple testing, in the order given to them and completely.

And.....on top of that they fail to replace or repair the wiring harness for the EFI......and most importantly.....fail to.solve basic voltage, ignition and fuel feed problems.....BEFORE starting on the EFI.

It's not hard to diagnose. It's 23 wires and 4 sensors.

What it is.....is so simple that it cannot adjust around and parameter that is not set to spec. It has no software. It's unforgiving. Do it right or stop.

Ray
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Pepperbilly
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2022 7:48 pm    Post subject: Re: best carbs to replace FI Reply with quote

I can’t tell you much about carbs on a type 4…never have done that. I do have a ‘66 type 3 that runs sweetly with it’s dual carbs, but those are stock Solex that the car was born with. I would think if you could find the stock carbs that were designed for the type 4 it would work nicely.

I like the fuel injection because I am a stock guy… that is what my 412 was born with. When the injection is set up and operating properly you will love it. It is so precise and responsive. To get there is sometimes a very long and agonizing path though. I just went through this on my ‘73 wagon. You need alot of patience!

Be prepared to spend money and a bunch of time. Many FI parts are very hard to find if you have to replace. I was very lucky. My car was all complete and had been in our family almost all of it’s life. I still had to replace and rebuild several components. One of the biggest mistakes you can make though is not having a clean fuel system whether you have carbs or FI. Your fuel tank needs to be spotless inside. It is metal and old so you have to deal with that issue. Everything associated with the fuel delivery has to be cleaned and/or replaced. I know this well because I just went through this. If you look at “part 2 the problems” of my wagon thread, you will see what I mean. There are many people on this site that can help you get through this. One of them is Mr. Ray Greenwood, the 411/412 Guru.

It all took alot of time and effort but the reward is a 412 wagon that runs like new. I love my fuel injection.

Bill
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ubercrap
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2022 6:42 pm    Post subject: Re: best carbs to replace FI Reply with quote

If you go aftermarket, say dual Webers, make sure you source the short manifolds, otherwise I don't think the carbs will clear the angled firewall of the sedan/ coupe. All of the "kits" I see for sale to the USA at least, have the very tall style of manifold. Luckily there's places in the UK that offer them.
ubercrap
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2022 2:05 pm    Post subject: Re: best carbs to replace FI Reply with quote

Oh, you know what would be cool is is to have some manifolds where some side draft carbs would work, like weber DCOEs. Looks like somebody else thought the same thing for a Type 3:

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> 411/412 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: