Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Jeremiah's 73 412 restoration project
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Forum Index -> 411/412 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Pepperbilly
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2022 4:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Jeremiah's 73 412 restoration project Reply with quote

Jeremiah Berger wrote:
Thanks guys, i did see that one online bill.Thanks. Don't you have to pull the diff out to change the sixth seal on the inner side of the pinion? In some threads In one thread I was reading it was suggesting that this seal was just as important as the other to stop the mixing of the dif and atf...what about it is a problem? Can't I just mark all the gears and put them back aligned as they where?

I did not replace that one. I replaced the outer converter seal. I am not an expert on the diff so can't advise you. I think Ray needs to chime in.

Bill
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Jeremiah Berger
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2022 5:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Jeremiah's 73 412 restoration project Reply with quote

Pepperbilly wrote:
Jeremiah Berger wrote:
Thanks guys, i did see that one online bill.Thanks. Don't you have to pull the diff out to change the sixth seal on the inner side of the pinion? In some threads In one thread I was reading it was suggesting that this seal was just as important as the other to stop the mixing of the dif and atf...what about it is a problem? Can't I just mark all the gears and put them back aligned as they where?

I did not replace that one. I replaced the outer converter seal. I am not an expert on the diff so can't advise you. I think Ray needs to chime in.

Bill

This is the thread I was reading on the diff. https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=7791859
It seams pretty straightforward unless there is something I am missing. I would even take it a step further and mark the all the gears and realign them identical to how they where.As long as the backlash checks out and the gearbox doesn't need any work amd nothing needs replaced then it should be pretty simple.

Jeremiah
Pepperbilly
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2022 7:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Jeremiah's 73 412 restoration project Reply with quote

Yes, that is a nice write up. Wish I would have discovered it earlier.

Bill
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Jeremiah Berger
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2022 6:57 am    Post subject: Re: Jeremiah's 73 412 restoration project Reply with quote

Does anyone know if the heat shield from a bus can be modified to work on a 412?
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2022 8:38 am    Post subject: Re: Jeremiah's 73 412 restoration project Reply with quote

Jeremiah Berger wrote:
Does anyone know if the heat shield from a bus can be modified to work on a 412?

Yes they are close enough they should work with tweaks.

Yes you need to pull out the differential to change the last seal but this is easy. Except for the risk of getting dirt in it....you are doing "0" disassembly of the differential.

You need to seperate the differential section from the gear transfer case....easy.

Then pull off the CV flanges....easy.

Then pull out the governor because you need to change that small shaft seal inside as well.

Then a ring of bolts to slide the differential....in its differential carrier...out of the outer case.

Now you can replace all of the seals. The differential and its carrier housing are a dis rete, complete unit. There will ne no disassembly or adjusting of it required of either it or the transfer gear case.

It's just seals.

The nice thing is that with the differential unit out and laying in front of you....you can inspect for gear wear, back lash and bearing condition.

It would be a pity to skimp on this step.....and have atf leak into the differential and destroy the ring and pinion.

Likewise....it would be a pity to have worn bearings.....and not see them and do an6thing about it.....and have it destroy the ring and pinion.

If you do see bearing wear....you can buy the four bearings and take just the differential and your brown Bentley and specs from the without guesswork book....down to any competent transmission shop and tell them you simply want the new bearings installed....the preload set and 5he gear pattern just like it is now.

This should not be much $ because it's 100% complete ...all adjuster rings visible....no breaking down a complete transmission. It's no more difficult than working on the rear end of w pickup truck. Ray
Jeremiah Berger
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2022 2:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Jeremiah's 73 412 restoration project Reply with quote

Thanks Ray, I will definitely not skimp on any of the inspection I ordered a tool to check backlash and will definitely be inspecting the bearings.yeah it seamed to me like the diff was the easier side to seal up as long as no real work was needed and just seals.

Jeremiah
Jeremiah Berger
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2022 9:15 am    Post subject: Re: Jeremiah's 73 412 restoration project Reply with quote

Oil filler neck and dipstick boots.what are my options? Both are cracked and need replaced.Well I'm sure there aren't options, but you know what I mean. Any ideas? 412 wagon.
Pepperbilly
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2022 12:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Jeremiah's 73 412 restoration project Reply with quote

Jeremiah Berger wrote:
Oil filler neck and dipstick boots.what are my options? Both are cracked and need replaced.Well I'm sure there aren't options, but you know what I mean. Any ideas? 412 wagon.

Ron, aka ClassisCamper was able to find me a oil filler boot. He found it in California at Vee Parts & Accessories in El Cajon. Part #021 115 655. Phone # 619.258.5524. Go ahead and try there. They may still have some wagon parts

I would also post WTB in the Samba classifides. I have had good results on hard to find stuff.

Bill
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2022 12:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Jeremiah's 73 412 restoration project Reply with quote

Jeremiah Berger wrote:

The oil filler neck...meaning part # 38 in the diagram? Its part # 021 115 657. A search comes up with nothing on line.

I cannot remember is that part is metal or plastic, but if you can weld or solder, since most of it is out of site, cut a metal flange and weld to a light duty piece of tube of the right OD.

The dipstick boot #33? Same issue. But, its very similar to the one many bus owners use and they may have an answer or repop.

That being said, long ago when I drove wagons....I have replaced this part with perfect function with a length of thin-wall Viton or Silicone tube. Both of those will handle the heat and oil in that area and are flexible enough to clamp to both parts.

This type will work great if the diameters they have work. Its black fluorosilicone.
https://www.mcmaster.com/tubing/high-temperature-soft-rubber-tubing-for-fuel-and-lubricants/

This one is clear and a little cheaper. It is platinum cured silicone so its high temp.
https://www.mcmaster.com/tubing/high-temperature-and-high-purity-soft-rubber-tubing/

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Ray

Last edited by raygreenwood on Mon Oct 31, 2022 7:35 am; edited 1 time in total
Pepperbilly
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2022 1:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Jeremiah's 73 412 restoration project Reply with quote

Ray, I believe you read my part # incorrectly. My # is that rubber connector boot from the body to the metal filler tube.

Bill
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2022 3:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Jeremiah's 73 412 restoration project Reply with quote

Pepperbilly wrote:
Ray, I believe you read my part # incorrectly. My # is that rubber connector boot from the body to the metal filler tube.

Bill

That's really odd.....the two parts book pics I posted are NOT what I uploaded Shocked

What the heck is floating around on my desktop?

Ray
Jeremiah Berger
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2022 6:11 am    Post subject: Re: Jeremiah's 73 412 restoration project Reply with quote

Thanks Bill, I will try them and see if they have anything.

These are the ones I was referring to Ray, yes the rubber parts.I thought about just replacing them with flexible tubing like you say and will if I don t find any replacements.

Looks like the other rubber pieces to the dipstick are the same as a bus...

Luckily the rest of the odd sized rubber grommets are all in pretty good shape or are same as bus or simple round grommets that should be pretty easy to find..

Got everything disassembled enough for a cleaning and pressure washed the engine transmission and all the tins and what not. Trying to get all the dirty work done outside before the snow comes. Still probably light-years from needing these rubber pieces just trying to make a mental note of everything and start figuring out the where to get parts, part.

Thanks again guys, Jeremiah.
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2022 7:36 am    Post subject: Re: Jeremiah's 73 412 restoration project Reply with quote

My last post is edited with the correct parts lists....I see what I did....I grabbed the two photo links below mine... Rolling Eyes

Ray
Pepperbilly
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2022 10:03 am    Post subject: Re: Jeremiah's 73 412 restoration project Reply with quote

Consider powder coating all your tin. Much more durable in the long run and looks show quality. Glad I did.

Bill
Jeremiah Berger
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2022 6:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Jeremiah's 73 412 restoration project Reply with quote

I have been slow to make much progress other then pulling everything apart and making a mess if it all...haha.found a bit if rust under the battery tray that will need a little metal repair and cut a hole in the floor, but other then that I found alot of good and am planning the next steps of repair and paint for the undercarriage.. meanwhile since it's been a brutal jolt into winter up her in Maine I've been working on my interior a bit in the basement and got a local apholster to redo front seat covers. Found a pretty good match for the material and was able to keep the headrest and back of front seat and the back seat and the rest of the original panels..I also bought a $600 roll of german square weave carpet and my apholstry guy is gonna hem on the trim after I get it all cut...also been working on a custom air ride suspension that I will wait to share much on as I work out the details and I'm sure it will have to be well executed to gain the appreciation from this crowd.got one of the front seats done and the rear re stuffed. Looking really good so far!

raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2022 7:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Jeremiah's 73 412 restoration project Reply with quote

Niiiice!

Ray
Pepperbilly
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2022 2:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Jeremiah's 73 412 restoration project Reply with quote

Looks good…. You’re making progress in spite of the weather. I know all too well about this also.

I was lucky on my front seats. I only had to redo the seat bottoms and found material that was virtually a perfect match. By the way, did you have any luck finding oil and dipstick boots?

Bill
Jeremiah Berger
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2022 3:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Jeremiah's 73 412 restoration project Reply with quote

Pepperbilly wrote:
Looks good…. You’re making progress in spite of the weather. I know all too well about this also.

I was lucky on my front seats. I only had to redo the seat bottoms and found material that was virtually a perfect match. By the way, did you have any luck finding oil and dipstick boots?

Bill

Yeah i wish this material was a little closer but i think it will all look good in the end. Its just a slippery slope doing one, now two.hopefully I'm happy cuz I'd like to keep as much as original as possible...also finding that the brown square weave is probably not the same color as what it had but probably a one off color similar to the teak brown interior in some rare all brown interior vws. I have not been able to find anything for the boots yet, I'm thinking it's gonna have to be a custom thing I did find some universal tapering boots on Amazon that I might try to make work for the dipstick.im sure its cheap and not oil resistantbut i can buy a pack of them for like $10 and the dimensions seam correct..the other I'll probably just use some flexible piping of some sort like ray had suggested.
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2022 8:43 am    Post subject: Re: Jeremiah's 73 412 restoration project Reply with quote

My parts book has pages of color combination listings by year and model. No visuals but would they be worth posting?

Ray
Jeremiah Berger
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2022 12:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Jeremiah's 73 412 restoration project Reply with quote

raygreenwood wrote:
My parts book has pages of color combination listings by year and model. No visuals but would they be worth posting?

Ray

Thanks Ray don't think it really matters as the only brown square weave available is the one I got and it will look good anyway.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> 411/412 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: