Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

I Need Some Help. 60 Westie.
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
earlywesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2023 11:46 am    Post subject: Re: I Need Some Help. 60 Westie. Reply with quote

House wrote:
That pic IS Greg & Clara’s 15 window… Wink
Hah! Good catch! I didn't look at the bus, just the kit!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
dlearl476
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2023 5:25 pm    Post subject: Re: I Need Some Help. 60 Westie. Reply with quote

Long-roofs wrote:
Fantastic info and photos. Any idea what happened to this Bus?

It was basically stolen from us.

When we were getting ready to move to a new house, my dad hired a handyman to do some repairs on our old house. The guy agreed to do it for the bus. My dad, being a trusting yet naive man, let the guy take it after working two days. We never saw him again.

My brother the pack rat has the title, somewhere. He won’t look for it because he somehow thinks it would be unfair to find the bus and repo it. Who knows if it even still exists, but it would be nice to run a VIN check and show up at the guys house with a couple of cops if it does.

Part of my motivation for posting about it here is to see if anyone has any info about it.
AS350driver
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2023 6:23 pm    Post subject: Re: I Need Some Help. 60 Westie. Reply with quote

What state was it in when the guy ripped your dad off? And approximately when? Was it already rusted out by then?

1960 23W buses have been considered upper tier and desirable VWs for a long time, and pretty valuable money wise since probably the 80’s.

I’d venture to guess that if the bus survived until the late 70’s or 80’s, without rusting out, having a tree fall on it, hit hard in a accident …. something major…then there is a fair chance it’s still in existence.
Clara Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2023 7:38 pm    Post subject: Re: I Need Some Help. 60 Westie. Reply with quote

dlearl476 wrote:
Better late than never! My brother and I finally embarked on the monumental process of digitizing our family’s lifetime of slides. Here’s a couple of our Camper.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

ps: these are crap. They’re actually iPad pics of the slide sitting on my iPhone screen, which I was using for a slide viewer to orient the slides I was putting into carousels to speed the digitizing process. I’ll post the actual scans after I get them done and edited.

eta: Done

pss: I think I have a “proof of concept” photo out in front of the Westfalia plant where, I assume, the folks showed us how to set up the tent, etc.

Awesome pics!

Best pics I've ever seen of original Westy curtains in a corner window bus!

Yes, the sloper rack is on backwards. I also install it so the rear leg lines up with the corner swage line. This would give more room for the sunroof, in that bus. With a hatch top bus, you need to put it there so you can open the hatch.

Here ^^^ You can just see the camping box cabinet, with shiny edging. It is tall, like in our bus

Looks like a white cargo door panel, SO-23 ish.
SO-23:

dlearl476
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2023 7:15 pm    Post subject: Re: I Need Some Help. 60 Westie. Reply with quote

AS350driver wrote:
What state was it in when the guy ripped your dad off? And approximately when? Was it already rusted out by then?

1960 23W buses have been considered upper tier and desirable VWs for a long time, and pretty valuable money wise since probably the 80’s.

I’d venture to guess that if the bus survived until the late 70’s or 80’s, without rusting out, having a tree fall on it, hit hard in a accident …. something major…then there is a fair chance it’s still in existence.

Utah. Late 60’s. It was completely rust free. Nobody drove it in the winter because no heater.
dlearl476
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2023 12:26 pm    Post subject: Re: I Need Some Help. 60 Westie. Reply with quote

I was looking for the Camper Box price list (I could have sworn someone linked it in this thread) but I came across this
https://www.curbsideclassic.com/blog/vintage-broch...beginning/

Which is pretty cool. Things had changed a bit by 1960, but that’s pretty much what we had.

Someone asked earlier what interior panels ours had. If I didn’t answer, it had standard grey vinyl panels like a standard 3 row seats Kombi.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: