Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Type 4 timing.
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2022 11:56 am    Post subject: Re: Type 4 timing. Reply with quote

Oil cooler, cooler seals or even the gasket between the oil filter mount and the case. There's also a number of gallery plugs in that area that like to get loose.

But first start at the very top, the oil pressure sender is often to blame.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2022 12:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Type 4 timing. Reply with quote

The Type 4 oil pressure switches are pretty well hidden down in a well, and are notorious for failing. The type 4 switch has tapered pipe threads while the Type 1 switch has straight threads and uses a sealing ring, so make sure you get the correct one. If you are unfamiliar with pipe threads in general, look the tightening spec up in the Bentley. IIRC it takes a 24mm deep socket (15/16" also works fine) to change it.
75 Westy FI noob
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2022 1:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Type 4 timing. Reply with quote

This raises the question of … the Tins.

Can they be (easily)removed from a FI Type 4 with the engine in?
Or do the plenum and intakes need to come off first?

I think the oil pressure sender is under the tin.

I really don’t wanna pull the engine / trans out. Shocked
dodger tom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2022 1:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Type 4 timing. Reply with quote

[quote="75 Westy FI noob]I think the oil pressure sender is under the tin.

I really don’t wanna pull the engine / trans out. Shocked[/quote]

you don’t need to remove tins. the switch is behind the distributor. just pull the wire, and use a socket to loosen the switch.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2022 4:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Type 4 timing. Reply with quote

As Tom states the sender doesn't require tin removal to look at or replace, if it's oily down in there shoot some degreaser in there and blast it with the hose (don't drown the distributor on the way in), if it's oily again in a few days you might have found the issue.

If it's dry your next bst option may be to pull the fan shroud, you can clean it up and run it without the shroud a few minutes in the driveway and see where the oil originates. It may be worthwhile anyways if it's been sitting, rodents like to move in and you may find a few of their homes.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here

Слава Україні!
75 Westy FI noob
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2022 4:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Type 4 timing. Reply with quote

Thanks!
75 Westy FI noob
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2022 6:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Type 4 timing. Reply with quote

ps: I Hate the tins. Imagine dropping that nut in that hole. They made intalling the head temp sensor ridiculously difficult. Caused me to cross thread a spark plug while Removing it…. Nightmares.

I guess removing the fan shroud would grant some access to retrieve lost bits.

I need to check btw the jugs for nests….
dodger tom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2022 7:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Type 4 timing. Reply with quote

i’m with you, man. i dropped #2 spark plug on top of the cylinders once. took me an hour to fish it out.

mindfulness is your friend when working on a type iv engine. firm grasp. eyes on the prize. then, you’ll only drop some stuff down into the tins.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
timvw7476
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2022 9:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Type 4 timing. Reply with quote

dodger tom wrote:
i’m with you, man. i dropped #2 spark plug on top of the cylinders once. took me an hour to fish it out.

mindfulness is your friend when working on a type iv engine. firm grasp. eyes on the prize. then, you’ll only drop some stuff down into the tins.

Autozone sells a great sparkplug socket, magnetized. Holds the plug with just enough power. Bought that decades ago, no more drops, no more silly foam left around the insulator when the cheap foam lets go from the socket. Think they are called 'power something' - Blue stripe around the edge. Great socket.
And a magnetic wand to fish out all the other previous owner's plug 'drops' too.
EDIT: POWERBUILT, think that's the name. AZ brand? who knows.
my59
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2022 11:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Type 4 timing. Reply with quote

I have a rubber sleeve gizmo gifted by a friend. You fit the plug in one end, and it is long enough so you can reach in and get the spark plug hand started before you put a socket on it.
When I pulled the bus engine the first time there were 2 spark plugs and a socket lying under the tins.
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2022 12:07 am    Post subject: Re: Type 4 timing. Reply with quote

Changing the oil pressure switch with the tin installed is easy enough, but the need to use a 24mm socket to remove and install it means you are likely going to be using a 1/2" drive ratchet which can easily apply way too much torque to the small diameter (10mm) pipe fitting where the switch screws into the block. Snap it off or worse crack the block and you have big problems.

Last edited by Wildthings on Thu Dec 22, 2022 1:04 am; edited 1 time in total
bsairhead
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2022 12:10 am    Post subject: Re: Type 4 timing. Reply with quote

my59 wrote:
I have a rubber sleeve gizmo gifted by a friend. You fit the plug in one end, and it is long enough so you can reach in and get the spark plug hand started before you put a socket on it.
When I pulled the bus engine the first time there were 2 spark plugs and a socket lying under the tins.
My gizmo is 6 inch's of fuel hose.
75 Westy FI noob
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2022 12:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Type 4 timing. Reply with quote

Good tip Wild Things… will try and remember not to crank it too hard.

I have a spark plug socket w a rubber grommet in it, causes the socket to stick firm, then the grommet stays on. So, when i was taking it out, I didn’t put it all the way on, just shy about 20%. Well, that was enough for the socket to be too tall to clear the tin. But it was the last 3 threads or so and i didnt even feel it.

Other than that goof, I’ve only dropped the heater fan fuse down in the tins. Been careful as i can.
cellobus1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2022 11:16 am    Post subject: Re: Type 4 timing. Reply with quote

I’m reading through this thread and remembering a time when I was changing spark plugs on a type IV and one of them slipped out of of the socket. I made the mistake of trying to fish out the plug with my fingers. I think it was cylinder 3 which looks like it’s an easy reach. DO NOT ever stick 2 fingers in a spark plug tin hole, you will be sitting there a long time trying to get them out, or you will flense them to a bloody mess if you’re in a hurry.
75 Westy FI noob
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2022 12:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Type 4 timing. Reply with quote

Got my timing scale from Busted Bus …

Big red dot at 5 atdc.

But, I should actually set timing at 7.5 btdc …is that correct ?

Found idle screw info in my Bentley manual.

Gonna start it again today.
70 degrees in late December? I’ll take it. The Good Lord know I wanna work on the bus.
Laughing

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2022 2:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Type 4 timing. Reply with quote

Disregard the dot, that's for a different distributor, yours should idle ~7.5* BTDC.

Слава Україні!
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2022 2:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Type 4 timing. Reply with quote

75 Westy FI noob wrote:
Got my timing scale from Busted Bus …

Big red dot at 5 atdc.

But, I should actually set timing at 7.5 btdc …is that correct ?

The best timing for these old worn rigs is going to be 28° BTDC at 3800+ rpms, hose(s) off. This should give you a timing at base idle of around 7.5° BTDC, hose(s) off. You can see that someone has marked 28° on your fan shroud.

The white mark on your pulley pretty much aligned with the 0° mark on your timing scale is the correct mark, don't know what the mark in the pulley far to the left is, so just ignore it.
75 Westy FI noob
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2022 3:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Type 4 timing. Reply with quote

Thanks guys… I’ll put the notch at 7.5 btdc and see how she does.
I have an aftermarket dist.. no vacc lines on it.

That big shiny mark to the left was mde by yours truly, trying to do it by valve position. I was off a bit. Laughing Embarassed Laughing

Glad I found the notch. haha
75 Westy FI noob
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2023 8:23 am    Post subject: Re: Type 4 timing. Reply with quote

busdaddy wrote:

If it's dry your next bst option may be to pull the fan shroud, you can clean it up and run it without the shroud a few minutes in the driveway and see where the oil originates. It may be worthwhile anyways if it's been sitting, rodents like to move in and you may find a few of their homes.

Ok, so i've got the tins off, the fan off, and the 4 nuts off the shroud... now comes the fun part of pulling it off. But the dipstick tube looks like an accident waiting to happen.. as it passes through the shroud. Does that need to be removed first? Also, I'm assuming this can be lifted out without removing the heat exchange/exhaust.. right?

i searched a bit, and some say the engine should be out for this bc it cant raise high enough to clear the cooler.. Bently doesnt mention the dipstick or removing the engine. It also doesnt mention disconnecting the alternator wires (access?) but that obv needs to happen.

Ready to pull shroud off.. but dont want to #$%^ it up. Laughing

edit: found tis regarding dipstick.. so it's part of the shroud. wonder how it fits at the back.. hmmm.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=776002&highlight=fan+shroud+remove
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2023 9:39 am    Post subject: Re: Type 4 timing. Reply with quote

Pulling the shroud is a PITA. You kind of have a choice as to which way you go at it. You can pull the heat exchangers, which means pulling the entire exhaust, or you can remove the 4 studs that hold the fan shroud to the block and lift the fan shroud up out of the heat exchangers. There are a few other tricks that were done when these things were new and it was expected they would be junked within a half dozen years, but most don't want to damage rare expensive parts today.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 4 of 6

Jump to: