Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Pollinators
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Off Topic Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2022 4:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Pollinators Reply with quote

...that is if the psyllid hasn't killed them all off yet. It's here as well.
scottyrocks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2022 5:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Pollinators Reply with quote

The only insects (not bugs) I have see around here the last few years have been ants, carpenter bees, and now jumping crickets.

Carpenter bees drill into the woodwork of the house. I don't want them to do that.

I have managed to get rid of the ants and crickets inside the house, and the bees from outside the house.

I have nothing against nature as long as it stays outside.
Xevin Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2022 6:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Pollinators Reply with quote

scottyrocks wrote:
The only insects (not bugs) I have see around here the last few years have been ants, carpenter bees, and now jumping cricket

So you do see bugs. Wink

Clatter wrote:
Damn that Xevin... Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

skills@eurocarsplus wrote:
I respect Xevin and he's a turd Razz

SGKent wrote:
My God! Xevin and I 100% agree Shocked
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2022 8:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Pollinators Reply with quote

...and, of course, the occasional German Beetle.
zimblewinder
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2022 12:38 am    Post subject: Re: Pollinators Reply with quote

I had great fruit in my orchard but gave over to codling moths and other grubs when I started keeping bees and surrended the spray gun. There are sweet rewards, but also some not so sweet ones in my apples and pears. A paring knife is an essential kit when you snack in my garden.

We saw a great explosion in native bees and insects that in turn have brought in geckos and skinks and birds of all types.

Well worth it. Very Happy
crofty
Judas of the North

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2022 8:44 am    Post subject: Re: Pollinators Reply with quote

For a long time, as a kid, my Dad used roundup at our house and other insecticides. I bought the house about 8 years ago and havent used anything non-organic or natural other then "Terro" for ants.

We have a good amount of wildlife and a ton of lizards.

HamburgerBrad wrote:

I slept on crofty's tent once. I passed out drunk from two bottles of Everett's brother's wine.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
NJ John
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2022 9:51 am    Post subject: Re: Pollinators Reply with quote

In NJ, we had no lizards. But, here in northern Maryland, there’s tons of skinks. Now that we moved more rural, there aren’t that many. But one town away at our old house, there were so many. They used to sun themselves on my front steps. I heard they indicate a good eco system.
https://www.youtube.com/@AirSpooledGarage
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Floating VW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2022 3:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Pollinators Reply with quote

Plenty of big ol' fat bumblebees around here. Plenty of stink-bugs, too. Not sure if you'd consider those to be pollinators. A dead tree got knocked over during a storm on my neighbor's property, it turns out the thing had a massive beehive inside it, I mean MASSIvE. We estimated about three gallons of honey spilled out when it shattered on the ground!

Not very many lady bugs this fall, though. Probably because of the freakish cold weather we've had the last few years.

Last summer, I kid you not, I overheard a lady at the local hardware ask if they had any herbicides that would kill wild strawberries and raspberries, and which pesticide was best for getting rid of honey bees. Fortunately, the clerk said they didn't have anything for that.

When she turned to leave, I kicked her in the ass for good measure.

Not really, but I wanted to.
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2022 4:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Pollinators Reply with quote

Yes pollinators are way down here too. Have been for a number of years so wild berries have been scarce. A company from further south has been bringing in tame bees hives for several years now and that has made a noticeable difference.

Grasshoppers were bad again this year but they are not pollinators...
ALLWAGONS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2022 2:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Pollinators Reply with quote

import some! Do your part!

I recycle old cars and parts, other than when I rot, that's as Green as I am going to get.

Thanks to my Tesla driving neighbors, I feel more relaxed driving my SUBURBAN and old VW's.

NON INFLUENCER APPROVED
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: