Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Is this your Porsche transaxle?
Forum Index -> Porsche - 911/912/914 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Alan Brase
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2022 11:44 am    Post subject: Is this your Porsche transaxle? Reply with quote

Is this your missing transaxle?

Many years ago I bought a Porsche 911 transaxle on Ebay. I got it really cheap, but no other bidders. Recently getting close to getting my car running I looked again: Someone ground off the ID numbers.
Wow. Do you suppose it is stolen? I've been a victim myself, though around here recently Porsche parts are sold for scrap by "urban miners". yeah, tweekers. Recent story of a 912 for sale where the shop closed and lost his parts got me thinking...
It really saddens me to think my gain is at another enthusiasts misfortune. So Here's what i propose: Prove it was yours and ill return it. FOB IOWA. That's right, You pay the return shipping. I'm not seeking a reward but would not refuse it.
To PROVE IT WAS YOURS: send me the details of your loss and the description. Kardex would be the best.
I know a LOT about identifying stuff and a LITTLE about how and when I got it.
The serial number is mostly obscured but perhaps some digits are readable. I believe forensic work MAY be able to raise the numbers. if there are multiple claimants we may be able to raise the number.
I'll give you one clue: I got it over 15 years ago.

I put this up on Pelican a while back and got the most inane answers. Please read carefully.
To New owners: 1969 doublecab, 1971 Dormobile
Vanagons:
80 P27 Westy JUL 1979, 3rd oldest known US
83 1.6TD Vanagon, 87 Wolfie Westy daily driver, swap meet home
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Starbucket
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2022 3:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Is this your Porsche transaxle? Reply with quote

The transaxle # was never recorded by the DMV so no need to remove the #, so it might just be a VW transaxle. Is it a 5 speed?
Alan Brase
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2022 7:03 am    Post subject: Re: Is this your Porsche transaxle? Reply with quote

Starbucket wrote:
The transaxle # was never recorded by the DMV so no need to remove the #, so it might just be a VW transaxle. Is it a 5 speed?

I said I know a LOT about identifying.
I've rebuilt a lot of transmissions:
Porsche types: 519;644;716;741;901;911;915;923; 925
VW of about 10 different types.
BW t85, t86, T10 super T10
GM Muncie M20; M21; M22
GM Saginaw
Chrysler New Process
Ford Dagenham; top loader
RAY CHARLES could see this is not a VW transaxle.
I know a bit about identifying transmissions.
I also know the DOT does not usually record the transaxle stamped serial number.
Vanagons:
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Alan Brase
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2022 7:05 am    Post subject: Re: Is this your Porsche transaxle? Reply with quote

Starbucket wrote:

After re reading your post, I have to wonder:
exactly which Porsche trans looks like a VW trans?
Vanagons:
Jacks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2022 9:53 am    Post subject: Re: Is this your Porsche transaxle? Reply with quote

A 519 is the Porsche transmission that most closely resembles a VW transmission of that era. With that being said, it’s not unusual for VW guys to look at a 356 engine and say “It’s just like a VW engine!” Rolling Eyes
Starbucket
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2022 10:03 am    Post subject: Re: Is this your Porsche transaxle? Reply with quote

Jacks wrote:
A 519 is the Porsche transmission that most closely resembles a VW transmission of that era. With that being said, it’s not unusual for VW guys to look at a 356 engine and say “It’s just like a VW engine!” Rolling Eyes

The VW guys don't get it, it may look like a VW but it's a HEMI and STROKED with tuned intakes and exhaust.
Alan Brase
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2022 10:35 am    Post subject: Re: Is this your Porsche transaxle? Reply with quote

Jacks wrote:
You know about 519's, Jack? Yes, they 519 had Porsche patent synchronisers. 4 of them. The splitty VW had so-calld BORG WARNER style synchros.
BTW, i saw an early Ferrari Gearbox apart once. It had Porsche synchros! Maybe 1954 ish Ferrari. (Not too thick on the ground!)
Vanagons:
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Porsche - 911/912/914 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: