Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Coach battery for Eurovan Weekender 2003.
Forum Index -> Eurovan Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Flo_150210
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2022 2:56 pm    Post subject: Coach battery for Eurovan Weekender 2003. Reply with quote

Hello everyone,

I know this topic has been discussed many times, but this is still confusing for a non English speaking newbie like myself.

I need to change the coach battery as it does not hold charge anymore. I just want to replace the battery with the one of the same size and easy to do. Do you have any recommendations?

Thank you so much for your help, and happy Sunday 😎!
VanGeek
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2022 3:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Coach battery for Eurovan Weekender 2003. Reply with quote

I've been reviewing the prior discussions topics on this, and came to the conclusion that a group 94R battery is a very good option if you want a drop-in solution for the existing factory setup.

The AGM type of batteries are also recommended since they are compatible with the existing charge circuits etc, but tolerate deep discharge cycles better than traditional sealed-lead-acid (SLA) batteries.

Some forum members recommended the NAPA AGM version:
https://www.napaonline.com/en/p/BAT9894R?impressionRank=2
patagrande
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2022 7:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Coach battery for Eurovan Weekender 2003. Reply with quote

I've got the 94r AGM linked above. I had considered a lithium battery, but didn't want to del with a DC-DC regulator. Lithium has little internal resistance and will take whatever the alternator will throw at it, so you must regulate or else the alternator may fry. I didn't want to change the wiring so I just did the drop in AGM.

Remember, like any lead acid batterry you can only discharge half the rated amperage of an AGM battery, as if you drain it beyond that you will shorten the life of the battery. Calcuate the draw of whatever devices are on the battery and monitor the voltage.

I have a plug-in fridge and use the cabin lights. I use a 100w solar suitcase to setup and it works to replenish as long as I camp in sunny places.
Flo_150210
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2022 10:13 am    Post subject: Re: Coach battery for Eurovan Weekender 2003. Reply with quote

Thank you for your replies! I will go with this battery, and add a solar panel (I live in California, quite sunny ☀️) later if need be.

Thank you so much, and happy Monday!

Edit: what is the reason for the steep price? Is ti worth it?
Flo_150210
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2022 5:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Coach battery for Eurovan Weekender 2003. Reply with quote

patagrande wrote:
I've got the 94r AGM linked above. I had considered a lithium battery, but didn't want to del with a DC-DC regulator. Lithium has little internal resistance and will take whatever the alternator will throw at it, so you must regulate or else the alternator may fry. I didn't want to change the wiring so I just did the drop in AGM.

Remember, like any lead acid batterry you can only discharge half the rated amperage of an AGM battery, as if you drain it beyond that you will shorten the life of the battery. Calcuate the draw of whatever devices are on the battery and monitor the voltage.

I have a plug-in fridge and use the cabin lights. I use a 100w solar suitcase to setup and it works to replenish as long as I camp in sunny places.

So why didn't you go for a deep cycle battery?
Flo_150210
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2022 10:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Coach battery for Eurovan Weekender 2003. Reply with quote

Hi everyone,

So I purchased the above mentionned car battery to change my dying old one. But after reading so many different things (especially this thread https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=692957&highlight=battery) I am troubled by the installation!

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

This is my actual setup. I thought red was positive, by now I don't know! I could not read anything on the old battery, I just know the red cable was attached to the left part of the battery. Shall I do the same with the new battery and place it the same way?

Thank you for your help.

All batteries have the same polarity in Europe, but I have read it might not be the same here. I don't want to blow everything up!
gesoffen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2022 10:13 am    Post subject: Re: Coach battery for Eurovan Weekender 2003. Reply with quote

In the top right of your image is a clear "-" sign indicating that is the negative (or ground) terminal of the battery. The red lead is blocking the indication of the other terminal but I assume its marked "+".

If you bought a 94R battery, it SHOULD hook up similarly to the battery in your image. I emphasize should, because there could have been modifications made by a previous owner. Also, with your new battery oriented as in your image, the "+" terminal should be on the left.

Depending on the year, brown is typically the earth (aka ground or negative) wire. Positive can be Red or Black. I would recommend confirming the wiring arrangement with a multimeter or by tracing the brown wiring back to a ground terminal and the red wire back to the isolating solenoid or similar 12v source.

That said, the arrangement of your aux battery wiring looks consistent with late model Eurovan MV/Weekender models.
Flo_150210
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2022 9:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Coach battery for Eurovan Weekender 2003. Reply with quote

Thank you! I checked everything with a multimeter. The setup is indeed original. Everyting is working fine so far, hope the battery will be charging while driving now.

Thanks again!
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2022 4:14 am    Post subject: Re: Coach battery for Eurovan Weekender 2003. Reply with quote

Never “ wire by colour”

Modifications and replacements make the colour of wires suspect, and most of the high current wiring is unfused.

A mistake can cost $2000 or more to repair, worst case, a fire which consumes your vehicle.
elise111
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2023 5:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Coach battery for Eurovan Weekender 2003. Reply with quote

For those that are going for the 94R size replacement of the Weekender coach battery, I see Amazon has the best price I've seen (by far) for $150, even for a name brand AGM. Significantly less than the Napa battery that is now $250.

https://www.amazon.com/ACDelco-94RAGM-Professional-Automotive-Battery/dp/B006N91C2M?th=1

Coincidently, this 94R size seems to be interchangeable for the H7 size that fits many VW/Audi's as well, confirmed in several Amazon reviews for the battery. Double win in my case.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Eurovan All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: