Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Type 4 engine catastrophy ?
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
CrazyTestPilot
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2022 3:08 am    Post subject: Type 4 engine catastrophy ? Reply with quote

Just got back from a dunes trip. While on a run my type 4 2413 engine had a problem. The oil filter cracked and blew out all the oil. I was unaware as it happened quickly. All of a sudden the engine started running rough, made a clunck noise and then just stopped. I thought it was toast for sure. However after adding oil it started right up and ran fine and did so for the rest of the trip (3-4 days). Should I assume there was serious damage done and have it dismantled and inspected or just keep running it?
madmike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2022 3:57 am    Post subject: Re: Type 4 engine catastrophy ? Reply with quote

Time to check the bearings Wink
76 Drag/Street bug 2180cc 'Turbo' 11:85 @113 mph"If I go any faster I'll burn up the Hamster" ,gets 28 mpg. also 10/09/22 11.90 @115 mph
"If I'm ever on Life Support,UNPLUG Me, Then Plug me back In see if that Works"
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2022 4:20 am    Post subject: Re: Type 4 engine catastrophy ? Reply with quote

Do you not have an oil pressure gauge? Or an idiot light?

The first check is to put a gauge in it now and see what your oil pressure is both cold and hot, idle and on the road. If it's normal, carry on.
CrazyTestPilot
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2022 9:04 am    Post subject: Re: Type 4 engine catastrophy ? Reply with quote

Yes there is a gauge. Cold is about 40-50psi and warmed up it's about 10-15 psi. Can I inspect the internals myself? I'm only a mechanic when I have to be so I'm no pro but I think I should be able to handle it as long as I know what to look for, which currently I don't.
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2022 5:34 am    Post subject: Re: Type 4 engine catastrophy ? Reply with quote

The next thing I would do is drain the oil and take it to a bright lite to see if there is a metallic sheen or metal bits in it. If there isn't and the oil pressure has not change then you dodged a big one, drive it.

As far as taking it apart - yes you can do it. I would expect the rod bearings to show the first signs of stress from lack of oil but I personally would not tear it down on a "maybe" or a "what if".

Unless you are totally bored and need something to do...
CrazyTestPilot
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2022 5:39 am    Post subject: Re: Type 4 engine catastrophy ? Reply with quote

Good advice. Thank you.
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2022 8:27 am    Post subject: Re: Type 4 engine catastrophy ? Reply with quote

Cut the filter open, rinse it out onto a dark colored garbage can lid with varsol or gas and look for metal flecks in there too.

I suspect though that being as it finished the trip (3 to 4 days) without issues all is well.
CrazyTestPilot
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2023 12:18 am    Post subject: Re: Type 4 engine catastrophy ? Reply with quote

Finally opened up the engine.... Catastrophe..Yes!!
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
madmike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2023 3:30 am    Post subject: Re: Type 4 engine catastrophy ? Reply with quote

That's the 'Then Just Stopped, Part' Laughing
76 Drag/Street bug 2180cc 'Turbo' 11:85 @113 mph"If I go any faster I'll burn up the Hamster" ,gets 28 mpg. also 10/09/22 11.90 @115 mph
"If I'm ever on Life Support,UNPLUG Me, Then Plug me back In see if that Works"
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2023 4:57 am    Post subject: Re: Type 4 engine catastrophy ? Reply with quote

Ouch!
VWporscheGT3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2023 7:32 am    Post subject: Re: Type 4 engine catastrophy ? Reply with quote

ohhh yeah... full skirt scuff.... lack of lubrication... she got a little seizey...

I like being wrong, Because, it is another opportunity to learn. If you stop learning from your mistakes than what is the point?

If you have any questions about Forged ICON 4032 VW pistons just shoot me a line.
nextgen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2023 3:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Type 4 engine catastrophy ? Reply with quote

Goes to show how fast you can blow an engine. My story was in different temperature conditions. Just started a new job. NY was hit by 17 snow storms and the temp was below zero f. My Generator light went on, I was doing 60 on a major highway and the plows pushed the snow to the sides of the road, so no place to stop till the next exit that was about 2 miles away. Got to the exit and was on the ramp when I heard the same sounds and then a bang. MY FAN BELT BLEW !!!! It was my 1600 T-1 in 1989. Look under the bug and oil was coming out of the case with some parts. Lucky i had my first 914 T-4 2.0 I wrote my manual about 1n 1993 ready to be installed in better weather.

Ok no oil filter.. Stock T-1 but even in that cold it did not take long.
LETS TALK DUBS https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=joe+cali+ghia https://letstalkdubs.libsyn.com/ep-200-joe-cali-ty...qI3xJTCzjs
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
modok
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2023 3:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Type 4 engine catastrophy ? Reply with quote

Lucky
the piston seizing stopped you
BEFORE it melted the bearings.
nextgen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2023 4:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Type 4 engine catastrophy ? Reply with quote

Well the case may still be be ok, unlike my story, with parts on the road and big hole. Amazing you were able to drive it that long after. Best of luck.
LETS TALK DUBS https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=joe+cali+ghia https://letstalkdubs.libsyn.com/ep-200-joe-cali-ty...qI3xJTCzjs
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
CrazyTestPilot
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2023 10:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Type 4 engine catastrophy ? Reply with quote

So I got real lucky. The cylinders were fine just gave them a hone.Micro'd clearances were ok. The bearings "seem" fine. I was able to get all new rings and one piston for $200. She's going back together now but with a low oil pressure alarm this time. Any body got any good tricks for getting the wiper rings into the cylinder? It's a really tight squeeze and a PITA!! Thanks all.
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2023 7:02 am    Post subject: Re: Type 4 engine catastrophy ? Reply with quote

So.....back to your very first post:

"The oil filter cracked and it blew out all the oil. I was unaware as it happened quickly"

Besides the good question already asked of what warning system were you using.....pressure gauge or idiot light....even before that, let's go back to the root cause.

Why did your oil filter "blow out"? Yes, its not totally uncommon especially on certain brands years back but this is "probably" telling you that your pressure is WAAAY too high.

Just a few posts back you noted cold was 40-50 psi dropping to 10-15 psi when warmed up. I am assuming you mean at idle rpm right?

That's not uncommon either. Thats why you have the oil pressure relief valve to bypass the oil cooler when its cold to keep it from being 80-90 psi at idle

But pretty quickly even before the engine overall is even warmed up, you should be seeing lower oil pressure than than 40-50 psi at idle within just a couple minutes.

So what was your oil pressure when driving at rpms say....above 2500? What kind of oil filter was it? Brand?

Ray
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2023 7:59 am    Post subject: Re: Type 4 engine catastrophy ? Reply with quote

Ray, it's not the oil cooler bypass that protects against high pressure, it's the pressure relief plunger at the front of the case. Is it stuck shut?
Vanapplebomb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2023 8:14 am    Post subject: Re: Type 4 engine catastrophy ? Reply with quote

That valve on the lower front of the 3/4 side case half is the oil cooler bypass valve. All type 4 engines have that valve.

Pre-hydraulic T4 engines also had a valve on the 1/2 side of the case which would dump oil from the 1/2 lifter oil passage back into the case when oil pressure was excessive. Hydraulic motors did away with that valve.

Either valve could be an issue (if not hydraulic).

There is also an oil filter bypass (spring loaded ball bearing) on the oil filter mount… but that is usualy not an issue, and only comes into play with large pressure differentials across the oil filter… and not overall pressure.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=487021
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2023 9:57 am    Post subject: Re: Type 4 engine catastrophy ? Reply with quote

oprn wrote:
Ray, it's not the oil cooler bypass that protects against high pressure, it's the pressure relief plunger at the front of the case. Is it stuck shut?

Type 4 does not have a "pressure" relief plunger per-se....except for the oil cooler bypass. The other valve down below #1 is the main oil system pressure control valve. It is the proverbial thumb over the end of the hose. Everything back upstream is working off of the pressure it creates.....and it never fully closes.

In short....what Vanapplebomb said.

My question was really getting at.....and I should have just asked.....is what oil pump is being used?

Either it has a stuck oil valve in it or way too big of a pump or something is blocked.

The oil valve under cylinder #1 could not really cause this.....IF .....the main oil cooler bypass is stock and the pump is stock.

However, if the springs on the oil cooler bypass are aftermarket or the piston is stuck....and the oil pump is oversized. Sure. The valve under #1 could just not be enough bypass.
Further, if the oil control valve under #1 has been modified....which is common.....by putting in a solid rod with no spring......and you have other items that are non-stock....sure.

My point was....what blew out the oil filter? Ray
Zed999
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2023 10:32 am    Post subject: Re: Type 4 engine catastrophy ? Reply with quote

He's blasting about in a buggy in the dunes with a 2.4L engine and says he cracked his oil filter. I assumed something hit it?
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: