Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Airbag light - intermittent turn signal
Forum Index -> Eurovan Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
dbeeby
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2022 12:21 pm    Post subject: Airbag light - intermittent turn signal Reply with quote

Hello folks,

I have an airbag light on the dash and my turn-signal/brights switch works only intermittently. (The turn signals work, but they don't click "off" after the turn and the brights work, but will not stay on). The cruise control and other functions are working.

I haven't read out codes for the airbag yet (or tried to clear them), but I'm wondering if the two might be related.

I'm also getting symptoms similar to this post (occasional ESP and other lights): https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=721860

Any other thoughts about this?

Thanks,
Dan
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2022 4:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Airbag light - intermittent turn signal Reply with quote

Airbag and ESP lights are said to be related to a bad clockspring, or worn parts in the clocksprint, or worn steering rack bushings.

The cure is to replace or repair your clockspring, the part is NLA, and if a used one is found the price is most high

Also the airbag module is located under the heater core which if is rotten will drip directly on said module (located in front of the shifter)

There is a good workup on youtube search eurovan clockspring
dbeeby
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2023 2:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Airbag light - intermittent turn signal Reply with quote

@sam

Thank you for the information. I've been down a deep rabbit hole about the clockspring.

Do you know if there's a way to eliminate (delete) ESC?

In addition to the "ESC OFF" light, the ABS and airbag lights are also on (when this condition presents itself).

So I'd like to (obviously) keep ABS and airbags, but remove ESC (steering position, etc) from the system.

Thoughts?
samba415
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2023 2:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Airbag light - intermittent turn signal Reply with quote

I'm researching this increasingly costly issue as well and may have some useful data points. During my search for a Eurovan, an owner shared their shop work invoices to prove work done. I came across an invoice from an enterprising shop that stated:"Clock Spring Module 1H0959653e retrofit from 7D0959654. Vehicle need new clock spring, horn button has been relocated to lower steering column, replaced Clock Spring, reset coding." Owner couldn't tell me what was maintained or lost just that the "warning lights went away".

As to the increasing costs, Jim Ellis VW parts in Atlanta seemed to have the last of these nationally until they didn't. BUT on the Jim Ellis Audi side their business is a "Cancelling Ring With Slip Ring And Steering Sensor" is listed with the exact same part number (7D0959654) and picture as on the VW side. Could this be solution? It's an expensive risk to take. In July of last year they had it marked down to $445.16, but currently is listed at MSRP $598.33
Meanwhile, the wrecker & salvage folks have sniffed this out and I've found their online listings for used clock spring 7D0959654 for over $800 without being tested.

Ugh, these are poor choices to choose from

Current: '04 Golf TDI, '03 Weekender
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2023 11:11 am    Post subject: Re: Airbag light - intermittent turn signal Reply with quote

There is a right up on here somewhere for repairing your clockspring
dbeeby
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2023 8:29 am    Post subject: Re: Airbag light - intermittent turn signal Reply with quote

Hello folks, you can read the result of my clockspring saga here: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=781576&highlight=
rocknroj
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2023 7:38 am    Post subject: Re: Airbag light - intermittent turn signal Reply with quote

Can't help on the airbag. I do have an intermittent turn signal as well.

Turned out to be the relay connection at the fuse panel. I wiggle the relay and the turn signal comes back. Discovered this after swapping the relay did not help. So basically one or more of the female connectors in the fuse box is is a but worn/stretched/bent open from relay swaps.

If its like the other vw's I have worked on, the connectors come out by pressing a tiny metal tab. Then carefully tighten the connector(s) in question with your pliers and put it back together..

That said dropping the box and gaining access can be a bit tricky and requires considerable patience. Some of the multi-point connectors that you may have to remove are trick with slide lock mechanism that holds them in place.. So as with most of these repairs good care not to break something else is key.

Hint is to test the connections on the fuse box with a male spade to figure out which is loose and when making the repair check your crimping/tightening work again with spade you have laying around before putting it back together.

Pay attention to the little tab that clicks in place as you probably have to bend it out again to get the connector to stay in the fuse box.

Always.. always disconnect the battery ground strap before messing around under there. You may find a loose plug for the airbag.

FWIW.. on my jetta, the airbag light is on cuz of the connection to the airbag that I did not get connected well after replacing the ignition switch.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Eurovan All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: