Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

How does tire pressure technology work?
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Off Topic Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
LAGrunthaner
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2022 2:01 am    Post subject: How does tire pressure technology work? Reply with quote

I have a 2013 Honda Fit and I'm trying to understand the technology of the tire pressure valve system. The light went on due to change in weather then after I filled all 4 tires at 33psi (door jam label) and drove 5-10 miles the light remains on.

The TPMS is NOT on and I heard the trunk spare can trigger the low tire pressure light. I'll check the psi again on each tire this afternoon with a second gauge then take to the parkway (NJ's not free-way) for 10 miles at 70mph and see if that works.

How does the pressure valve work? Is there a battery somewhere? Professors please teach me.
www.mauiroadsters.com
http://www.oacdp.org
Lind wrote:
Have you considered simply starting with a nicer bus? I don't know what your skills are, but the race is easier if you can see the finish line. If you are not a runner, don't start off doing a marathon.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
slave1pilot
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2022 2:09 am    Post subject: Re: How does tire pressure technology work? Reply with quote

should be a TPMS button on the lower left side of your dash
press and hold it until the warning light blinks twice.

Currently:
1963 Ragtop Beetle
Previously:
1967 Beetle
1968 Beetle
1970 Beetle
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2022 2:14 am    Post subject: Re: How does tire pressure technology work? Reply with quote

There are two technologies I’m aware of.

One is literally a sensor built into the valve core which transmits info to a processor. I think they are Bluetooth based?

Earlier tech used the ABS tone ring to detect the wheel rpm and thus detects the slight change in rpm when deflation occurs to wheel size change.

I think your Honda uses the latter technology.
LAGrunthaner
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2022 3:24 am    Post subject: Re: How does tire pressure technology work? Reply with quote

I recall resetting the TPMS when that light went on 20K ago. Being that light is NOT ON I shouldn't reed to reset.

I found this video/web site from Honda (see below)and the spare is not fitted with the sensor.

I'm going to use my own compressor as the local gas station has 1 of 2 working inflators maybe other stuff is going on at that shop.

https://owners.honda.com/vehicles/information/2013...tpms-video
www.mauiroadsters.com
Lind wrote:
Have you considered simply starting with a nicer bus? I don't know what your skills are, but the race is easier if you can see the finish line. If you are not a runner, don't start off doing a marathon.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
finster
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2022 3:32 am    Post subject: Re: How does tire pressure technology work? Reply with quote

I had just found that honda video!
also this from the fitfreak.net forum
For USA cars:
2008-2013 use direct TPMS which uses a pressure sensor inside each tire and has BOTH of the dash lights pictured below

2015 and newer use indirect TPMS.....which does not have actual sensors in each tire. This system only has the low tire pressure light.

first thing to check is your tyre gauge accurate? are the tyres holding pressure?

looks like more $ earning technology for the tyre/works shops to me Rolling Eyes

nothing lasts, nothing is finished, and nothing is perfect...
slave1pilot
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2022 4:18 am    Post subject: Re: How does tire pressure technology work? Reply with quote

My mistake
I thought you said your light was on
but then I saw that you said your TPMS was not on
so I have no idea what's going on now

are you just trying to figure how the system works?

Currently:
1963 Ragtop Beetle
Previously:
1967 Beetle
1968 Beetle
1970 Beetle
Bonesberg55
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2022 4:54 am    Post subject: Re: How does tire pressure technology work? Reply with quote

The system is annoying and stupid. My light(2017 Caravan) went on a couple of weeks ago after the van was sitting overnight in the garage. All tires read 35 PSI . That is the recommended pressure from the manufacturer(Firestone). The night was unusually cool. As most everyone knows, cold makes rubber expand so that would reduce the pressure but c'mon! I pumped them up to 38 PSI and the light has been off since. The thing is that I had put 38 PSI in the tires before the cool night.
supercub
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2022 5:02 am    Post subject: Re: How does tire pressure technology work? Reply with quote

LAGrunthaner wrote:
I have a 2013 Honda Fit and I'm trying to understand the technology of the tire pressure valve system. The light went on due to change in weather then after I filled all 4 tires at 33psi (door jam label) and drove 5-10 miles the light remains on.

The TPMS is NOT on and I heard the trunk spare can trigger the low tire pressure light. I'll check the psi again on each tire this afternoon with a second gauge then take to the parkway (NJ's not free-way) for 10 miles at 70mph and see if that works.

How does the pressure valve work? Is there a battery somewhere? Professors please teach me.

I'm pretty sure as a 2013, your Honda would have an individual sensor in each wheel and yes, they each have a battery in them which sealed so the battery is not easily replaceable. Later Hondas are rotation-based systems that use the wheel speed sensors to pick up speed differences between the wheels to detect a low tire. That style has a button on the dash near the steering column to reset the light. Newer Hondas bury that feature in a menu on the infotainment touch screen. There are two main types of TPMS sensors, one screw in metal style and one style with a normal looking rubber stem. Ford used a banded sensor early on that had a big hose clamp looking ring that tightened it to the inside diameter of the wheel and used a standard valve stem. Each sensor has a unique ID# which is sent wirelessly to the car. Most sensors will trip the light at around 5psi low. When you air the tires back up some cars will turn off the light almost immediately while some have to be driven a few miles to register. Toyota/Lexus and Jeep Wranglers do use a sensor in the spare if it's full-sized. I'm sure some fancier Euro brands do too. I've never seen a sensor in a donut spare and I don't recall ever seeing a full-size spare in a Honda Fit, so I don't think that is your problem. So back to the battery, typically they start to die at around 10 years old, which your car is right in that range. On most brands the pressure light will flash when the car is first started and then stay on solid when there is a fault with the system, like a dead sensor battery. I think Honda has that second light that says TPMS that you were talking about, which comes on for faults instead of the flashing, but I can't remember. I have seen where sometimes the car will lose communication with a sensor if the car sits for too long, and sometimes for no good reason at all. There is a tool that we have at work that you use to scan each sensor and then plug it into the OBD port and retrain the car to the sensors. That tool also can program new sensors for the car when they need to be replaced. Probably more than you wanted to know, but that's what I know from dealing with TPMS systems at work over the past 6 years. And even with the nanny light, half the cars that come into the shop, come in with the light on and low tires anyway.
Q-Dog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2022 5:48 am    Post subject: Re: How does tire pressure technology work? Reply with quote

I had to replace the TPMS sensors in our 2011 Honda when they were about 9 years old. TPMS lights would come on during cold weather. Yours are in that range.

'69 Dune Buggy
'69 Beetle Convertible
'70 Beetle
74 Thing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2022 7:00 am    Post subject: Re: How does tire pressure technology work? Reply with quote

Stupid system required by gov because owners of vehicles are too irresponsible to check their tire pressure periodically.

Go to your local tire shop and have them get out the TPMS monitor and check to see of all your sensors are working. Probably one or more of the sensors in the tire has a bad battery. Then you will have to pay for a dismount/remount of the tire and replacement of a sensor just to get the damn dash warning light to go out.
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2022 7:22 am    Post subject: Re: How does tire pressure technology work? Reply with quote

TPMS systems are the reason why manufacturers & lots of dedicated tire shops use nitrogen in the tires. Nitrogen is less reactive to temperature changes. Filling your tires from a normal air pump just sets yourself up for aggravation.

GOFUNDYOURSELF, quit asking everyone to do it for you!

An air cooled VW will make you a hoarder.

Do something, anything, to your project every day, and you will eventually complete it.
steve244
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2022 7:24 am    Post subject: Re: How does tire pressure technology work? Reply with quote

LAGrunthaner wrote:

As a former fit freak, I AM AN AUTHORITY!!!!

It works the same as any other TPMS system.

there's a sender in each tire that senses pressure. Each has its own battery. There is none in the spare (sheesh).

Each sensor has a centrifugal activated switch so above 20MPH it starts sending a signal that's picked up by the car's TPMS receiver. If any tire drops 10% (approx) or more below the sticker PSI rating it alerts you with the low pressure warning light (tire with exclamation mark in it).

If there is a problem with any of the senders or receiver (i.e. dead battery) the TPMS warning light comes on (there are two warning lights).

I'll bet you guys get your significant others to program your VCRs.
The Vanagon's drivetrain and chassis restomod thread. Best sung to the tune of I Did It My Way...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2022 1:25 pm    Post subject: Re: How does tire pressure technology work? Reply with quote

Moderator note:
All BS replies were removed due to the quantity

Let's try to actually reply with on-topic content instead of post-whoring like usual.
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
steve244
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2022 2:19 pm    Post subject: Re: How does tire pressure technology work? Reply with quote

Off topic posts are on topic. Get with the plan.
The Vanagon's drivetrain and chassis restomod thread. Best sung to the tune of I Did It My Way...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
LAGrunthaner
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2022 2:21 am    Post subject: Re: How does tire pressure technology work? Reply with quote

FIXED! What are the chances of the air pump with gauge and my gauge not giving me the correct data of 33 psi? Yes I went to another station on my way home from work filled all 4 tires @33psi then the light went out as I drove down the block. Time to go back to old style gauge with post (I have a garage full of them) instead of the dial style. Thanks everyone for jumping in with suggestions. Very interesting comments, however I'm glad I missed all the BS. Twisted Evil
www.mauiroadsters.com
Lind wrote:
steve244
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2022 7:25 am    Post subject: Re: How does tire pressure technology work? Reply with quote

LAGrunthaner wrote:
FIXED! What are the chances of the air pump with gauge and my gauge not giving me the correct data of 33 psi?

mmmm, did you check them warm after driving or cold first thing in the morning.

they need to be at 33psi cold. If they're warm from driving I'd fill them to 35.

Some hypermilers put 50psi in them. I don't recommend that as it'll shake your teeth out, but it's not unsafe to inflate to the max PSI rating on the tires.

Check out fitfreak.net. You have a 2nd gen GE. Ask them what grade of gas to use. Twisted Evil

I owned an 09 for 10 years and then gave it to my son. He sold it and bought a ford ranger. Asshole.
ToolBox
Samba Member

Location: Detroit, where they don't jack parts off my ride in the parking lot of the 7-11

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2022 8:50 am    Post subject: Re: How does tire pressure technology work? Reply with quote

LAGrunthaner wrote:
FIXED! What are the chances of the air pump with gauge and my gauge not giving me the correct data of 33 psi?

Pretty good.

Our test cars travel with a dedicated calibrated tire pressure gauge.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Jon Schmid
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2022 8:57 am    Post subject: Re: How does tire pressure technology work? Reply with quote

I'm glad I have 20+ YO cars with none of this BS electronic nonsense. Where does it all end?
steve244
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2022 9:26 am    Post subject: Re: How does tire pressure technology work? Reply with quote

It's alerted me a few times over the past two years of a puncture/slow leak before it was to the stage I had to put on the spare. Much easier to pull into the tire shop and have them repair it.

This also would avoid the situation of an underinflated tire and driving at highway speeds.

I picked up the vanagon after purchase and blissfully drove 3,000 miles with one of the rear tires at 20PSI (looked ok). Kept wondering why it fishtailed everytime a semi passed me. It normally runs 40PSI in back.

I like having the system, but I wish the senders were permanent somehow. The battery technology is good for about 10 years.
TornadoRed06
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2022 2:27 pm    Post subject: Re: How does tire pressure technology work? Reply with quote

TDCTDI wrote:
TPMS systems are the reason why manufacturers & lots of dedicated tire shops use nitrogen in the tires. Nitrogen is less reactive to temperature changes. Filling your tires from a normal air pump just sets yourself up for aggravation.

Oh, really?? Rolling Eyes

So, that is the reason why these guys are gauging me 11 Euro plus (consider it $12), they gave me in this work estimate for 4 new tires with rubber TR413 valves on steel wheels for this vintage VW...
Too bad it hasn't ABS, let alone TPMS!!!

... last time I checked, "air" that, we people, pump into tires have 78% or more Nitrogen in it, that is Nitrogen enough for me, don't see a reason to hand $12 to "professionals" to pump that Nitrogen stuff through rubber valves. And with the amount of TDI and all the other diesel engines here in Europe, we might well get a lot more in it actually.

And now that we discuss this kind of silly stuff, come to mind that Green valve caps are supposed to be the telling sign that tires are pumped with Nitrogen and Silver valve caps tell TPMS valves... Too bad this Porsche Taycan GTS came from the factory with HUF TPMS sensors black from top to bottom (at least this is what we glance on the outside) and this plastic Black valve cap with Alligator EHA inscriptions on it can be put to pasture with those Oh So Chick! Black valve caps with either coloured or monochrome Porsche Logos from Porsche Tequipment. Ah, so nice that "professionals" can be curbed this easily! Laughing
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: