Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Meguiar's Marine Wax - which one?
Forum Index -> Body/Paint Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
scottyrocks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2022 12:11 pm    Post subject: Meguiar's Marine Wax - which one? Reply with quote

I just got Henry back from my body shop. I had them buff out his original paint.

I asked the shop owner about preservation of the new shininess. He told me that, over time, single stage paints don't do well in the weather, including sunlight.

I asked him what the best chance is of me preserving the shine for as long as possible. He told me Meguiar's Marine Wax.

When I went online to read something about it before buying I see that there are ten different marine waxes sold by Meguiar's. Here's a link:

https://www.meguiars.com/search?search_api_fulltex...z%20liquid

So, I need some advice before choosing. I want the toughest (1st) and longest lasting (2nd) protection. Everything else is less important (I guess). Which one? Something else entirely?

Oh, btw, here he is:

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Puppy67
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2022 1:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Meguiar's Marine Wax - which one? Reply with quote

Sorry, I can't comment on the Meguiars products, but I've been very happy with Collinite No. 845 Insulator Wax. Easy to apply, buffs off nicely (even in full sun, which is unusual), and lasts for months.

Basically though, anything with UV protection will be good. Polymer blends seem to last longest, while carnauba wax helps give an amazing shine, For the ultimate, consider ceramic coating, but that costs loads, and I actually enjoy waxing my car.

Lovely car by the way.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
74 Thing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2022 5:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Meguiar's Marine Wax - which one? Reply with quote

Go to autogeek.net and start reading.

If you are just looking to protect then you have to choose whether you want a carnuba wax, polymer sealant, or a ceramic coating.

The wax usually is gone the quickest but as mentioned above collinite lasts a while.

A lot has to do if you store it in a garage.

For single stage you need to feed the paint with polish-google single stage meguiars #7 mike phillips, and look at some of his posts with single stages.

Duragloss has good products that work well with single stage as well.
scottyrocks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2022 5:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Meguiar's Marine Wax - which one? Reply with quote

Thank you for the replies.

Yes, the car is garaged.

I have been through the Meguiars No.7/Mike Phillips pages years ago, and used the product with an orbital polisher, and got very good results. I just hadn't bothered with upkeep (mah bad) and then tried shortcuts that rather messed things up.

Collinite products have been mentioned in a couple of places I have posed this question. What seems logical to me at this point is a Collinite protectant and then treatment with Meguiars No. 7 when needed.

But nevertheless, aotogeek is my next stop for information.
74 Thing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2022 7:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Meguiar's Marine Wax - which one? Reply with quote

If you have any specific info don't hesitate to send me a PM.
toxicavenger70
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2022 3:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Meguiar's Marine Wax - which one? Reply with quote

I have been using this for 20 years and I swear by it. https://www.collinite.com/product/no-476s-super-doublecoat/
scottyrocks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2022 9:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Meguiar's Marine Wax - which one? Reply with quote

Thank you, I am getting all kinds of hits on this product^ and have ordered the 476s, as well as their 390 to 'safely remove defects (with a claybar) and achieve a high gloss finish that's ready for Collinite's signature wax protection (the 476s).'
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Body/Paint All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: