Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Sandrail front brake options
Forum Index -> HBB Off-Road Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Wsr3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2022 2:10 pm    Post subject: Sandrail front brake options Reply with quote

Starting work on an old sand rail with link pin front and spindle mount wheels. As I don’t live anywhere near sand I thought front brakes would be nice. What would my options be?
Thanks,
WSR
Vanapplebomb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2022 5:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Sandrail front brake options Reply with quote

Kip it simple. Stock drums/backing plates. Use the ‘69 and newer 17mm REAR wheel cylinders in the front.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=487021
liquidrush
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2022 12:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Sandrail front brake options Reply with quote

I replaced my drums with disc and I have complete drum set if your spindles will take them. These are 50s style.
Wsr3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2022 9:17 am    Post subject: Re: Sandrail front brake options Reply with quote

Thanks! I’m still trying to identify what I have at this point. I’m not familiar with VWs so I’m doing a lot of research.
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2022 6:45 am    Post subject: Re: Sandrail front brake options Reply with quote

Post pictures, that helps!
Stinky123
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2022 2:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Sandrail front brake options Reply with quote

Depending on what size tires in rear....run the front Wheel Cylinders in the rear.

The extra size, in the rear WC, will give you more strength to slow down the heavy, big (w/lots of traction), rear tires.

Same reason, in reverse, why you go to the smaller ones in front. The small fronts are easy to lock up.

I used to stand on my pedal, like crazy, and not get any braking outa the rear.
Wsr3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2022 5:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Sandrail front brake options Reply with quote

Thanks to this forum I’ve found that it has type 3 4 lug rear drums. The rest, master, lines and wheel cylinders are missing. I’m assuming the larger brakes were used in the rear as there were no front brakes. I,m not sure what year the front king pin spindles are, but there are 3 threaded holes that held something, I’m assuming the backing plates. I would like to add an ebrake and a dual circuit master as I’ve experience failure of a single circuit before and that was enough excitement for a lifetime.
Wsr3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2022 6:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Sandrail front brake options Reply with quote

Spindle if that helps.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

When I got it home.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
liquidrush
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2022 4:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Sandrail front brake options Reply with quote

Stand up that spindle so I can see the bolt pattern.
jsturtlebuggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2022 4:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Sandrail front brake options Reply with quote

That is a link pin spindle used on 1965 and earlier VW Bugs.
Finding 1958 to 1965 brake parts are what you need to use.
To reduce the braking action on the front end, use the 17mm wheel cylinders from the rear of a 1968 and later Bug.
This will help with keeping the front tires from locking up under braking.
Motion Tire Motorsports
Having fun with Dune Buggies since 1970
Into Volkswagens since 1960
jsturtlebuggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2022 4:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Sandrail front brake options Reply with quote

With rear brakes being type 3 which are larger diameter then a Bug (9-3/4” vs 9” ) and the use of 1971 and later Super Beetle front wheel cylinders that are larger the the type 3 ( 23mm vs 22mm) will give you good braking action with the large rear tires you have.
Have setup several of my own buggies that way over the years.
Motion Tire Motorsports
BFB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2022 9:11 am    Post subject: Re: Sandrail front brake options Reply with quote

I see a lot of ppl talk about using different size wheel cylinders but last time i did any comparisons on what the parts stores sell, their all the same size nowadays whether its for front or rear. Maybe yall found something different? But i compared empi’s and the local parts store’s …
An interesting thing happens in forums where everyone starts parroting the same thing and "common knowledge" takes over.
“ The monkey see monkey do mentality seems to run deep in VW people. "Gene Berg said it was so 30 years ago so thats the way it is" “ - bdkw1
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jsturtlebuggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2022 9:35 am    Post subject: Re: Sandrail front brake options Reply with quote

I have no problems with finding correct size wheel cylinders. I even found the correct sizes on Rock Auto.
Motion Tire Motorsports
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> HBB Off-Road All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: