Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

ACVW Front Engine Rear Drive Ideas
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
bsairhead
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2022 9:38 pm    Post subject: Re: ACVW Front Engine Rear Drive Ideas Reply with quote

vwinnovator wrote:
bsairhead wrote:
Just spitballing. Use the whole kit and caboodle in the front. Flip the transaxle upside down sprockets instead of drive shafts chains to the rear. Old Mack Truck style.

what about the shift patten?
It would be upside down / opposite
You would figure it out. My old Moto Guzzi had a learning curve.
sub-hatchtim
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2022 12:38 am    Post subject: Re: ACVW Front Engine Rear Drive Ideas Reply with quote

I'm pretty baffled why you'd want to

But why not just use a subaru trans
Slow 1200
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2022 6:33 am    Post subject: Re: ACVW Front Engine Rear Drive Ideas Reply with quote

how about a 924/944 transaxle?
rayjay
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2022 7:14 am    Post subject: Re: ACVW Front Engine Rear Drive Ideas Reply with quote

Anybody that has seriously contemplated this idea is trying to divorce themselves from the limitations of transaxles.
vwinnovator
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2022 7:31 am    Post subject: Re: ACVW Front Engine Rear Drive Ideas Reply with quote

rayjay wrote:
Anybody that has seriously contemplated this idea is trying to divorce themselves from the limitations of transaxles.

I did it because I got tired of breaking ring and pinions, axles, etc...
cost a lot of time and money...

It's nice to have drivetrain thats been rated 1000hp plus Cool
rayjay
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2022 8:47 am    Post subject: Re: ACVW Front Engine Rear Drive Ideas Reply with quote

vwinnovator wrote:
rayjay wrote:

I did it because I got tired of breaking ring and pinions, axles, etc...
cost a lot of time and money...

It's nice to have drivetrain thats been rated 1000hp plus Cool

Not to mention the loss of entry fees, tow gas, lodging if applicable, and the emotional letdown of losing because of parts breakage. Inevitable parts breakage.

The NHRA was televising fwd drag racing in the early 2000s and bye runs were common due to driveline failure even with the high dollar stuff those guys were running.

What got my mind going on streetable manual trans set ups was a Summit catalog. Super T10s and T5 trannies are around $2200. These would be almost bulletproof behind the vast majority of streetable ACVWs. An 8” Ford rearend would be a good compromise between strength and weight.
Dusty1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2022 11:17 am    Post subject: Re: ACVW Front Engine Rear Drive Ideas Reply with quote

sub-hatchtim wrote:
I'm pretty baffled why you'd want to

But why not just use a subaru trans

When you fall down that rabbit hole you'll find a full- on Subi transaxle costs around $8k. The DIY version costs around $2k.

The next logical move it to use the Japanese flat four. Don't tell Spock you're tryin' to adapt an ACVW, it ain't logical. Very Happy

The Subaru transaxles are reliable up to 300hp. They'll handle almost 600hp as long as your baby your 600hp bomb.

You can get Type 2 and 930 axles, stubs and flanges to fit Subaru. Kinda tells you what the Subarugears people had in mind.

Slow 1200 wrote:
how about a 924/944 transaxle?

Best idea here! Now I'm lookin' for a thrashed 924...

Old Alphas had engine in the front, transaxle in the back.

Wait! Wait! I got it!

Corvair transaxle? Laughing

Eldorado / Toronado / Riviera transaxle. Just push the whole powertrain straight back. It's kinda wide. A bandsaw and / or a lathe plus a little welding might help that.

sub-hatchtim
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2022 11:29 am    Post subject: Re: ACVW Front Engine Rear Drive Ideas Reply with quote

🤣

I've actually seen it done

Years ago at the chirco show in Tucson guy had a type 4 powered front engine awd "subie" super beetle

Now that I think of it someone brought down a blue beetle with a similar treatment, I think it was a rally car from Colorado
Dusty1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2022 3:26 pm    Post subject: Re: ACVW Front Engine Rear Drive Ideas Reply with quote

sub-hatchtim wrote:
🤣

I've actually seen it done

Years ago at the chirco show in Tucson guy had a type 4 powered front engine awd "subie" super beetle

Now that I think of it someone brought down a blue beetle with a similar treatment, I think it was a rally car from Colorado

If you're goin' 4WD you might as well buy an STi and be done with it. What I'm talkin' about is a 2WD converted WRX transmission. There's a flipped ring gear available and a trick part that locks out the 4WD. Looks like an oversized split case VW transmission when it's done. With 930 flanges and little stubby Sway-a-Way axles.

I've done two VW / Subaru conversions this year in my spare time. If the suck of all suck "supply chain issues" continue I'm going to omit the VW entirely next time. Rolling Eyes Parts availability is makin' this enthusiast considerably less enthusiastic. Rolling Eyes

sub-hatchtim
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2022 6:45 pm    Post subject: Re: ACVW Front Engine Rear Drive Ideas Reply with quote

Yup I'm aware

Those boys down under do them for the vanagon crowd
RickS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2022 8:37 pm    Post subject: Re: ACVW Front Engine Rear Drive Ideas Reply with quote

Kawell Black Moon Rising. One of the first front engine cars. Saw it at Atco in the mid 90’s. I seem to remember they used a Liberty transmission.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
sub-hatchtim
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2022 12:03 am    Post subject: Re: ACVW Front Engine Rear Drive Ideas Reply with quote

There's this monster

Engines by fish of Doug's bugs and bunnies in mesa az

https://youtu.be/_lz6Q30Mxtg
Dusty1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2022 7:38 am    Post subject: Re: ACVW Front Engine Rear Drive Ideas Reply with quote

This guy is on top of the Subaru conversion:

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...p;start=20

Spock sez his mid- engine configuration is the most logical. Cool

Next step is to eliminate the VW. Twisted Evil

PBR Allstar
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2022 6:12 pm    Post subject: Re: ACVW Front Engine Rear Drive Ideas Reply with quote

Why not use a bus Bellhousing and then make an adapter plate to use something like a t5 behind it? That way you may have to do a little work as far as pilot bearing and clutch disc, but pressure plate, release bearing, clutch linkage, and starter should all be very simple.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger Classifieds Feedback
rayjay
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2022 1:31 pm    Post subject: Re: ACVW Front Engine Rear Drive Ideas Reply with quote

PBR Allstar wrote:
Why not use a bus Bellhousing and then make an adapter plate to use something like a t5 behind it? That way you may have to do a little work as far as pilot bearing and clutch disc, but pressure plate, release bearing, clutch linkage, and starter should all be very simple.

2nd paragraph post #1 Smile
rayjay
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2022 7:29 am    Post subject: Re: ACVW Front Engine Rear Drive Ideas Reply with quote

In researching manual transmissions I have found that for T5s some of the 4 cylinder versions have a .86 od ratio that would work the best for our purposes. In this chart the D and E first through fourth ratio sets that have the .86 od might be the best bets.

The 4 cyl T5 input shafts have smaller pilot brg shanks and smaller dia clutch disc splines than the v8 trans.

http://www.britishv8.org/Articles/Borg-Warner-T5-ID-Tags.htm
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: