Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

79 Bay Window - dead engine - looking for options!
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
mabutt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2022 4:33 pm    Post subject: 79 Bay Window - dead engine - looking for options! Reply with quote

My 79 died a death a few weeks ago (valve stuck open, made nasty noises). It's been clacky & leaking oil for a while now & slowly losing power, so trying to figure out what to do next, would love to get some opinions from this group. It's a 2.0 with EFI, hydraulic lifters and I just spent $2k+ getting it through CA smog.

So my options that I'm considering:

1. Minimal repair - pull the engine, replace the head (maybe both)
2. Replace with a stock EFI
3. Replace with a twin carb (I'd prefer this, but not sure if this will pass CA Smog?)

Anyone else been through this? What would you suggest? And where would you recommend I get a replacement engine in CA (SF Bay Area)?

Thanks!
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2022 6:52 pm    Post subject: Re: 79 Bay Window - dead engine - looking for options! Reply with quote

1. No such thing. If it has a stuck open valve it likely has piston damage, maybe more. It is a full rebuild. Heads, piston and cylinder set, cam, lifters, bearings, etc..

2. Will have to be a stock FI bus to pass smog tests in CA. There are two configurations for 1979, California and Federal. The electronics don't interchange.

3. never can pass CA smog with a dual carb setup. Nationally it is an EPA violation too but most states have more things on their mind that to look around in engine bays. That said, if a state has remote sniffers looking for gross polluters, then that can be a different issue. A cat would clean it up in those circumstances but the mixture would be turning the cat cherry red until it failed.
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2022 8:33 pm    Post subject: Re: 79 Bay Window - dead engine - looking for options! Reply with quote

Check Bus Lab for engine builders in your area. You are likely going to want new AMC heads with the components upgraded. Whether you need new piston and such will have to be determined through careful examination after you tear the engine down.
aeromech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2022 8:45 pm    Post subject: Re: 79 Bay Window - dead engine - looking for options! Reply with quote

Bus lab is a place to try even though I’ve never had dealings with them. I’m thinking in your area they are probably the top choice. If you have a choice.

Please post some pics of your bus so we can see if fixing the engine is a good investment for you.

Sorry, if you were in Southern California I could offer more options
Boeing 727,737-200-300-400,757,767
Airbus A319,320,321
DC9/MD80
BAe146
Fokker F28/F100
VW type 1 1962,63,65,69,72
VW Type 2 1971 (3 ea.) 1978, 1969
VW Jetta
VW Passat
Capable of leaping tall buildings in a single bound
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
aeromech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2022 8:51 pm    Post subject: Re: 79 Bay Window - dead engine - looking for options! Reply with quote

Actually, here’s a thought. These days a lot of people are doing the Subaru mod. That means that the shops doing the mods may have complete T4 engines pulled from these buses. Some may be good, used engines. Maybe Skills would be able to comment on that
Airbus A319,320,321
DC9/MD80
BAe146
Fokker F28/F100
VW Jetta
VW Passat
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2022 10:28 pm    Post subject: Re: 79 Bay Window - dead engine - looking for options! Reply with quote

at least he got 8 years out of it.
Gregg in the 603
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2022 7:43 pm    Post subject: Re: 79 Bay Window - dead engine - looking for options! Reply with quote

aeromech wrote:
Actually, here’s a thought. These days a lot of people are doing the Subaru mod. That means that the shops doing the mods may have complete T4 engines pulled from these buses. Some may be good, used engines. Maybe Skills would be able to comment on that

Great idea! I had the same idea, and actually I just scored the 2.0 Type IV from the build Skills just started last week. So that one's gone!
mabutt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2022 3:03 pm    Post subject: Re: 79 Bay Window - dead engine - looking for options! Reply with quote

Thanks for the advice everyone. She's starting to get rusty around the edges, but not ready to give up on her yet! I'll give Buslab a call and track down Skills.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
[/img]
aeromech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2022 3:19 pm    Post subject: Re: 79 Bay Window - dead engine - looking for options! Reply with quote

Nice looking bus.

Instead of bothering skills, do your research and find other shops that do the Subaru mod.
Airbus A319,320,321
DC9/MD80
BAe146
Fokker F28/F100
VW Jetta
VW Passat
Gashog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2022 7:47 pm    Post subject: Re: 79 Bay Window - dead engine - looking for options! Reply with quote

I’ve a type IV that was pulled three month ago for my Skillz conversion. It’s listed in the classifieds.
aeromech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2022 7:53 pm    Post subject: Re: 79 Bay Window - dead engine - looking for options! Reply with quote

Gashog wrote:
I’ve a type IV that was pulled three month ago for my Skillz conversion. It’s listed in the classifieds.

Booya!!!!
Airbus A319,320,321
DC9/MD80
BAe146
Fokker F28/F100
VW Jetta
VW Passat
aeromech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2022 7:56 pm    Post subject: Re: 79 Bay Window - dead engine - looking for options! Reply with quote

Oops, this guys engine won’t pass California smog I’m afraid.
Airbus A319,320,321
DC9/MD80
BAe146
Fokker F28/F100
VW Jetta
VW Passat
airschooled
Air-Schooled

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2022 10:19 pm    Post subject: Re: 79 Bay Window - dead engine - looking for options! Reply with quote

aeromech wrote:
Oops, this guys engine won’t pass California smog I’m afraid.

Why do you think? Just curious… The 1700 and 1800 engines pass fine when stuck in late buses… KentPS did it and passed first try, but I think he also has matched early gearing. Looks like the pulled T4 had functional compression, but shipping may be the issues…

Just gussy it up with FI and all the evap bits… Twisted Evil

Robbie
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
aeromech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2022 10:34 pm    Post subject: Re: 79 Bay Window - dead engine - looking for options! Reply with quote

I’m far from being a Jake Raby but first, there’s the smaller engine, then there’s the cam shaft. I thought a fuel injection engine used a different cam. Then there’s the exhaust system differences which might be a cat, 02 sensor, or EGR.

If it was me, I’d keep shopping for the right engine
Airbus A319,320,321
DC9/MD80
BAe146
Fokker F28/F100
VW Jetta
VW Passat
dodger tom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2022 10:55 pm    Post subject: Re: 79 Bay Window - dead engine - looking for options! Reply with quote

my vote, for what it’s worth, is stay stock.

call nate at broad street auto in san luis obispo (not too far away) and see if jonathan can get you a tuttle rebuild.
JaimeH Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2022 4:12 pm    Post subject: Re: 79 Bay Window - dead engine - looking for options! Reply with quote

The OP has a '79. That square port exhaust will not work on earlier heads.. If it weren't for that all other parts could be installed or adapted.
aeromech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2022 6:49 pm    Post subject: Re: 79 Bay Window - dead engine - looking for options! Reply with quote

JaimeH wrote:
The OP has a '79. That square port exhaust will not work on earlier heads.. If it weren't for that all other parts could be installed or adapted.

1). Lots of square port engines have been retired already. Who knows what he has.

2). California smog creates issues when adapting non stock engines.
Airbus A319,320,321
DC9/MD80
BAe146
Fokker F28/F100
VW Jetta
VW Passat
aeromech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2022 7:22 pm    Post subject: Re: 79 Bay Window - dead engine - looking for options! Reply with quote

https://sandiego.craigslist.org/nsd/pts/d/carlsbad-vw-bus-20-engine-rebuilt/7555796637.html
Airbus A319,320,321
DC9/MD80
BAe146
Fokker F28/F100
VW Jetta
VW Passat
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2022 1:34 am    Post subject: Re: 79 Bay Window - dead engine - looking for options! Reply with quote

aeromech wrote:
https://sandiego.craigslist.org/nsd/pts/d/carlsbad-vw-bus-20-engine-rebuilt/7555796637.html

the heat exchangers look like one is square port and one oval port. Don't know what is up with that. Might be a core engine.

The PO may need to spend a lot more than the $2K to get it thru CA smog just spent. My guess is that the engine will need to come apart and see what happened. The main difference mechanically between a 1979 CA/Federal and other 2L are the heads. Best practices would be to rebuild the existing engine with new Hoffman heads, or start collecting 2L parts to build a long block with new heads. The rest of the parts, tin etc should work.
Nitramrebrab72
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2022 2:25 am    Post subject: Re: 79 Bay Window - dead engine - looking for options! Reply with quote

mabutt wrote:
My 79 died a death a few weeks ago (valve stuck open, made nasty noises). It's been clacky & leaking oil for a while now & slowly losing power, so trying to figure out what to do next, would love to get some opinions from this group. It's a 2.0 with EFI, hydraulic lifters and I just spent $2k+ getting it through CA smog.

So my options that I'm considering:

1. Minimal repair - pull the engine, replace the head (maybe both)
2. Replace with a stock EFI
3. Replace with a twin carb (I'd prefer this, but not sure if this will pass CA Smog?)

Anyone else been through this? What would you suggest? And where would you recommend I get a replacement engine in CA (SF Bay Area)?

Thanks!

Stick with FI once you get to know them they are really simple, especially the early ones.

As to the stuck valve situation , replaces both heads if you are going for new, 4 new cylinders and pistons and both crankshaft seals.
Now as for determining if a full rebuild is nessasary , ask yourself was the engine bottom end solid before the failure, if yes then proceed by checking 4 things , con rod , con rod bearing and bush , piston pin , if none of these have no significant damage and the piston pin is not bent you just got lucky. Pull the hydraulic lifters one by one checking them and the cam lob for any sign of damage (remember to put them back to their original position) Next check maximum cam lift , those cams tend to wear way before the crankshaft bearings especially if low zddp engine oil was used . So make sure you have some decent lift or not she will need replacing , and that means splitting the case. Also check that the crankshaft turns smoothly. If you find nothing a miss then you could proceed but there is no guarantee on some hidden damage you didn't pick up.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: