Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

EFI Conversion
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
allamaabroad
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2022 10:51 pm    Post subject: EFI Conversion Reply with quote

I'm starting to toy with the idea of doing an EFI conversion on the motor in my bus this winter. The way I see it, I really need to upsize my carbs to 44's, and I don't think I'll ever get the kind of gas mileage I want out of these carbs, and i would love to move to something that'll be much more reliable.

So here's what I'm starting to look at:

For induction, I'm tempted to try some Chinese IDF style throttle bodies. I'm already all set for dual carbs (and the linkage/air cleaner setup is about as nice as it gets), so I do want to do dual throttle bodies as well.

These caught my eye, and it may be that the price is too good to be true, but they also may be totally fine for this application.

https://www.amazon.com/SherryBerg-42IDF-Throttle-B...0f5a4e2f90

These support standard TPS sensors, use standard IDF mounting, include fuel rails, and use standard bosch style injectors.

As far as fueling goes, my bus already runs a return style system with a pump that puts out somewhere around 50-60 psi. Totally overkill for what I have now, but I knew EFI might be in the future. All that I would need to change is the regulator.

For crank trigger, I'd likely get a universal 36-1 trigger wheel and mount it to the crank pulley, using a dial indicator to get it running true, then use a dubshop trigger sensor and mount.

https://www.diyautotune.com/product/6-3-4-36-1-trigger-wheel/

And then for everything else, I found a deal on a microsquirt V3 with a set of 4 smart coils (LS2 style). And at these prices, I may as well pickup a cam sync for sequential spark/fuel.

Just kinda taking a look at this now for fun, but does these seem like a decent combination of parts for an EFI conversion? I'd really like to keep this around $600-$700, and I think these parts could totally pull that off.

2180 TW: CNC Panchitos, Beehives Done Right, Web 163, Ultralight Lifters, 1.3 Rockers, CSP Python, Custom Speeduino EFI Conversion with 40mm Throttle Bodies

Distributors are lame

I have a really hard time leaving things alone...

Innovative and affordable engine management systems and EFI conversions for your Vintage VW
Visit https://debbiesaircooled.com/
Vee Dub Nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2022 10:38 am    Post subject: Re: EFI Conversion Reply with quote

allamaabroad wrote:
For induction, I'm tempted to try some Chinese IDF style throttle bodies. I'm already all set for dual carbs (and the linkage/air cleaner setup is about as nice as it gets), so I do want to do dual throttle bodies as well.

These caught my eye, and it may be that the price is too good to be true, but they also may be totally fine for this application.

https://www.amazon.com/SherryBerg-42IDF-Throttle-B...0f5a4e2f90

These support standard TPS sensors, use standard IDF mounting, include fuel rails, and use standard bosch style injectors.

I've had a set of those, and they are just "meh" in my opinion. I opted to off load them and moved on to some 40mm IDF throttle bodies from Paul over at VWSpeedShopUK.

My issues with them:

-When I had them, I couldn't get any of the suppliers on AliExpress to actually send an appropriate TPS for them. I could place orders with them showing quantity, but then would get canceled. Its a standard 8mm D-shaft connection for the TPS, and I know there are some OEM applications out there, but I never had any luck finding anything OEM (Well, I should say anything relatively affordable. I found a few aftermarket options outside of AliExpress, but they were steep pricewise for a simple TPS, and really cut into those throttles being "affordable").

-Throttle blade to bore fit was just so so. Poor quality hardware holding the the throttle blades to the shaft, and quite a lot of axial play in the throttle shaft with the throttles opened up (problem? maybe not, but not nearly as good quality as others out there IMO)

-The linkage arms are pretty cheap, and your married to them. No normal IDF throttle arms will bolt up (again, 8mm D-shaft). That said, I had decent luck with getting a CSP bell crank setup to work with them, but also required me replacing the rod ends on the CSP linkage to some metric left and right handed thread ends I could attach to the throttle body arms. Also required some finagling there because the nut on the rod end stud interferes with the normal IDF intake, because those throttle arms have almost no real offset away from the throttle body itself. Hopefully that makes sense.

-Your stuck with hose barbs on the fuel rails. I never found a set of rails with AN fittings, which I would prefer for EFI fuel pressures. You could probably weld some different fittings to them if you desire, but again, gets away from them being cheap unless you can DIY all that yourself.

-Super tiny hardware on the tops of the throttles. Fine in an NA application holding on an air cleaner housing, but I was going to use them in a forced induction application, and the screws on top were something silly like M4, so not a real great attachment.

Again, they are cheap. Will they work, probably.. maybe?? But you do get what you pay for IMO.

allamaabroad wrote:

For crank trigger, I'd likely get a universal 36-1 trigger wheel and mount it to the crank pulley, using a dial indicator to get it running true, then use a dubshop trigger sensor and mount.

I'd highly consider getting a full 36-1 trigger setup from Mario/TheDubShop. He has a variety of options, he's awesome to work with, and his parts are top notch. I've used his hidden trigger before, but am now building a setup using the external trigger option he offers:

https://thedubshop.com/external-crank-trigger-package-standard-type-1-vw/

allamaabroad wrote:

And then for everything else, I found a deal on a microsquirt V3 with a set of 4 smart coils (LS2 style). And at these prices, I may as well pickup a cam sync for sequential spark/fuel.

Just FYI, microsquirt can only run sequential ignition (it has 4 logic level ignition outputs), but NOT full sequential injection (it only has 2 injector drivers).

I actually have a newly built MS3/3X for sale in the classifieds (shameless plug Laughing ) I ended up picking up an MS3Pro for my build in process. The Microsquirts are really great budget modules though. If you can live within their capabilities, they are a great buy.

allamaabroad wrote:

Just kinda taking a look at this now for fun, but does these seem like a decent combination of parts for an EFI conversion? I'd really like to keep this around $600-$700, and I think these parts could totally pull that off.

Beware of scope creep. That's a pretty tight budget IMO. Its possible with a lot of DIY, and good second hand purchases probably, but easy to blow with the "while I'm in here" mentality.

Have you considered just using your carbs (which I assume are 40's) as throttle bodies? With the venturis removed, they should flow well and support good power?

Off Topic:
Did you ever build that 2176 turbo motor you posed about before? I was just curious, as I recognized your avatar from some old posts I ran across recently. I'm building a real similar turbo combo now myself to what you had posed about, so it came up in some of my searches/research.

67 Beetle (TBD)

74 Transporter (EJ25 Swapped) - Build Thread: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...mp;start=0

See all my VW pics on Instagram @ vee_dub_nut
allamaabroad
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2022 12:41 pm    Post subject: Re: EFI Conversion Reply with quote

Vee Dub Nut: I actually did build that turbo motor and I ran it in my bus for a good 8 months or so on wastegate pressure (8 pounds ish). It was awesome running around town with that motor, but ultimately I chose to switch back to NA for the time being as the gas mileage and reliability were pretty awful on long road trips.

Originally, the turbo motor was meant to go in my super beetle, but when I was finishing up the motor build I got a steal of a deal on a bus and sold my super. The purpose of the super and the bus are very different. So yeah, it was fun and I would love to go boosted again, but I think I really need EFI for a boosted cruiser bus.

As a side note, the sidewinder style header for a turbo set up was awesome for a Beetle engine compartment. My turbo setup for my super was completely hidden and had a full size muffler. I would highly recommend using a sidewinder header if that's the direction you're thinking of going.

As far as EFI goes, I think I might take the gamble on those throttle bodies. With a bit of research, I believe a BMW TPS could be made to fit, so at some point I may order those throttle bodies to take a look at them. If i don't feel like I can make them work or fix them up, I'll just return them.

Mario's crank trigger package seems like a good deal, but I'll need to price out my DIY version to see if it's worth it.

I think I'm also good with starting out on microsquirt. I think I can be happy with full sequential ignition and partial sequential injection for a long time.

As far as budget goes, my budget could potentially be a bit higher since I plan on selling my carbs and current ignition setup, which could recoup $300-$400, but by keeping my spending low, I could convert to EFI for less than $400. I'm a college student, so there's not a ton of money for doing this, so keeping a low budget will really help.

2180 TW: CNC Panchitos, Beehives Done Right, Web 163, Ultralight Lifters, 1.3 Rockers, CSP Python, Custom Speeduino EFI Conversion with 40mm Throttle Bodies

Distributors are lame

Innovative and affordable engine management systems and EFI conversions for your Vintage VW
UK Luke 72
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2022 1:38 pm    Post subject: Re: EFI Conversion Reply with quote

Batch injection and wasted spark are more than enough for our needs.
I've had those sherry berg itbs. They are pretty shit for all of the reasons mentioned above.
VW Speedshop stuff is top tier.
And if you're shipping a box over the pond you'd be as well slipping their trigger wheel kit in too.

https://vwspeedshop.com/product.php?productid=16774
Rixr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2022 7:17 pm    Post subject: Re: EFI Conversion Reply with quote

im in a similar situation , started a restomod of a 74' bus , planning a 2850cc big bore stroker with aftermarket EFI , was looking at a haltec elite 750 ( one step down from motec ) but this will be 2200 aus ( Australia ) just for the ecu , full wiring harness , relays & fusebox & nothing else ...

But damn those microsquirt ecu is really cheap , tho a bit basic - good if on a budget , be good to see what other ones they do

Have you though about having just one throttle body with TPS ( works out alot cheaper ) keeping the idf manifolds & running a simple intake manifold like the old injected porsche 912/2.0 ??

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
Wreck
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2022 7:49 pm    Post subject: Re: EFI Conversion Reply with quote

I’m on an EFI learning curve and on a budget , using a Speeduino ECU , sequential injection and LS 1 coils . It has no bells and whistles but seems to be operating OK . You do need to be able to research and be able to solder components to the boards etc . But for an ECU that’s under $300AUD I’m happy . The bonus is that it is cheap enough to have a spare ,programmed in the car when touring etc , just in case . Something I couldn’t afford with a name brand ECU. Link,or Ecumaster I think are the cheapest alternative and where I will head if the speeduino for some reason doesn’t do the job.
I used a CB cam sync and a home made trigger wheel and cheap non genuine Toyota cam sensor for the CAS.

The gutted out IDF’s will work and it is not hard to make a bracket to hold a TPS.
Because of the cost of parts in Australia , I went with ITB’s from an Arctic Cat 1000 , bought S/H on eBay , then made shafts so they fit IDF /DRLA manifolds .
A lot of work that I wouldn’t do again . I just get the Chinese ITB’s and sort out the bugs .
allamaabroad
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2022 8:52 pm    Post subject: Re: EFI Conversion Reply with quote

Wreck wrote:
I’m on an EFI learning curve and on a budget , using a Speeduino ECU , sequential injection and LS 1 coils . It has no bells and whistles but seems to be operating OK . You do need to be able to research and be able to solder components to the boards etc . But for an ECU that’s under $300AUD I’m happy . The bonus is that it is cheap enough to have a spare ,programmed in the car when touring etc , just in case . Something I couldn’t afford with a name brand ECU. Link,or Ecumaster I think are the cheapest alternative and where I will head if the speeduino for some reason doesn’t do the job.
I used a CB cam sync and a home made trigger wheel and cheap non genuine Toyota cam sensor for the CAS.

The gutted out IDF’s will work and it is not hard to make a bracket to hold a TPS.
Because of the cost of parts in Australia , I went with ITB’s from an Arctic Cat 1000 , bought S/H on eBay , then made shafts so they fit IDF /DRLA manifolds .
A lot of work that I wouldn’t do again . I just get the Chinese ITB’s and sort out the bugs .

I'd love to see how you did your trigger wheel and what sensor you're using. Seems like you're in the same realm as me as far as budget goes.
How has the speeduino been for you? I'm familiar with the Arduino platform, and i briefly looked at the speeduino. Does it come with coil drivers built in?

I'd also love to see how you made those Arctic Cat ITBs work, just for funsies.

Distributors are lame

Wreck
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2022 9:56 pm    Post subject: Re: EFI Conversion Reply with quote

Speeduino doesn’t have coil drivers , I used LS 1 coils ( second hand) that have inbuilt drivers .
Because of the high duration cam I went with TPS based fuel , Andy Whittle on You Tube has some great tutorials on tuner studio , I used his knowledge on the various maps , my TPS starts ,0,1,2,4,6,10,15 etc , the higher up the percentage the bigger the gap in percentage . I also made a custom linkage that is progressive . The first halve throttle on the pedal is only quarter at the throttle bodies . So even with 50mm plates (2600cc engine with 7500 redline) I have good low throttle control .

A mistake I have made is the location of the coils , they are to close to the main wiring loom , I plan to move them to the quarter panels ,out board of the manifolds , away from the loom .because of EMF .

UK Luke 72
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2022 5:14 am    Post subject: Re: EFI Conversion Reply with quote

Ooh the carbon pull rods are nice!
I made a progressive linkage too a while ago but found with the table scaled as per Andy Whittle it wasn't necessary.
allamaabroad
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2022 2:17 pm    Post subject: Re: EFI Conversion Reply with quote

I think I’m gonna pull the trigger on these Chinese throttle bodies. If I really don’t like what I see, I can return them. However, I think the issues that I’ve heard about them are solvable with a bit of time spent on them, and I have far more time than I do money.

That brings me to:

What would be the ideal throttle body size for this application?
2176 cc
Fluffed up CNC panchitos
9.5:1
1 5/8 Exhaust
FK8 advanced 3 degrees

Generally driven at altitudes around 4500-6000 feet

From what I’ve read, 38-40 would be ideal, 42 would be good too (depends on who you’re asking) Thoughts?

Distributors are lame

UK Luke 72
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2022 2:54 pm    Post subject: Re: EFI Conversion Reply with quote

36mm supported 160bhp on my 2276
Granted you can go bigger, but you just lose throttle resolution.
Somewhere around 38-40mm would be plenty big enough I would expect without any of the downsides of going too big.
vwfreek61
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2022 8:13 pm    Post subject: Re: EFI Conversion Reply with quote

Vee Dub Nut wrote:

-When I had them, I couldn't get any of the suppliers on AliExpress to actually send an appropriate TPS for them. I could place orders with them showing quantity, but then would get canceled. Its a standard 8mm D-shaft connection for the TPS, and I know there are some OEM applications out there, but I never had any luck finding anything OEM (Well, I should say anything relatively affordable. I found a few aftermarket options outside of AliExpress, but they were steep pricewise for a simple TPS, and really cut into those throttles being "affordable").

I've been assembling parts for an EFI engine. I bought those throttle bodies, and they didn't come with the TPS. I found a BMW E36 TPS fits, but it is clocked wrong. To fix that I used a 14mm fender washer bolted to the throttle body with countersunk screws, and then drilled and tapped the washer in the right position for the BMW TPS.
1987 Vanagon Westy w/Subaru EJ25 and reversed 4EAT
allamaabroad
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2022 1:11 am    Post subject: Re: EFI Conversion Reply with quote

vwfreek61 wrote:

I've been assembling parts for an EFI engine. I bought those throttle bodies, and they didn't come with the TPS. I found a BMW E36 TPS fits, but it is clocked wrong. To fix that I used a 14mm fender washer bolted to the throttle body with countersunk screws, and then drilled and tapped the washer in the right position for the BMW TPS.

That's awesome! Thanks for that tidbit. I was actually looking at BMW TPS and it did look like it could fit, so I appreciate the confirmation that it truly does fit.

Since you have them in your hands, is there anything else I should know about them? I may be jinxing myself, but a throttle body seems like a relatively simple part, and if anything is wrong with it, it should be somewhat easily addressable.

Distributors are lame

Vee Dub Nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2022 6:58 am    Post subject: Re: EFI Conversion Reply with quote

vwfreek61 wrote:
Vee Dub Nut wrote:

Good info to share. I had seen indication that some BMW application would work, but I never found anything that looked correct (I was sleuthing on RockAuto). There is a left hand and right hand version of the 8mm dshaft tps, and its indicated by the color the shaft connection point

http://www.sdsefi.com/tps.htm

Again, I never had luck finding out the OEM application, but there is something out there. The other after market options I found seemed really steep for what it was. Like this:

https://electromotive.com/our-products/d-shaft-tps-sensor-w-connector/

Having a near $100 TPS sensor just really cuts into the "affordability" aspect of those Chinese TB's.

67 Beetle (TBD)

74 Transporter (EJ25 Swapped) - Build Thread: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...mp;start=0

Last edited by Vee Dub Nut on Fri Nov 11, 2022 7:30 am; edited 1 time in total
Vee Dub Nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2022 7:11 am    Post subject: Re: EFI Conversion Reply with quote

allamaabroad wrote:
Since you have them in your hands, is there anything else I should know about them? I may be jinxing myself, but a throttle body seems like a relatively simple part, and if anything is wrong with it, it should be somewhat easily addressable.

I know that comment wasn't aimed at me specifically (since I already shared my feedback on them anyways), but figured it was worth a few additional comments.

You seem pretty set to try them, so I'd say give them a shot. You can always return them or resell them if you decide to go a different route (I sold the ones I had pretty easily). I have definitely been in your same position, re:college kid on a budget (I've been at this for a while), so I get the more time than money aspect. To that end, I'd still suggest looking at using your current carbs as throttle bodies. The quality will end up being better, 40mm IDFs without the vents will flow plenty of air, and its very DIY friendly. Just a suggestion.

I think the Chinese TB's can work OK, but realize the low entry cost is a bit of a false economy. You're still going to have to figure out linkage, TPS, air cleaner assemblies, etc, so there is still cost there you're going to have to deal with. Some of it you can DIY and save the expense, but some of it will still require more $$$. At the end of the day, you still just have some cheap throttles (and I don't mean cheap in terms of price).

As a person who's handled those Chinese throttle, played with motorcycle ITB's, CB throttles, and the VWSpeedShop ones, I can personally tell you that you get what you pay for. All that said, you got to work with your budget, so good luck!

67 Beetle (TBD)

Vee Dub Nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2022 7:29 am    Post subject: Re: EFI Conversion Reply with quote

allamaabroad wrote:
Vee Dub Nut: I actually did build that turbo motor and I ran it in my bus for a good 8 months or so on wastegate pressure (8 pounds ish). It was awesome running around town with that motor, but ultimately I chose to switch back to NA for the time being as the gas mileage and reliability were pretty awful on long road trips.

Originally, the turbo motor was meant to go in my super beetle, but when I was finishing up the motor build I got a steal of a deal on a bus and sold my super. The purpose of the super and the bus are very different. So yeah, it was fun and I would love to go boosted again, but I think I really need EFI for a boosted cruiser bus.

re: purpose of the super vs the bus:

I totally get that. That's why my late bay is Subaru swapped. Its the best of all worlds for me (power, reliability, cost, etc). As something that was built to be a family cruiser, its just better in every way than an aircooled engine at the same power level. Not everyones cup of tea, but highly effective.

EFI should be a good upgrade for your Bus motor, and definitely better to boost with EFI than carb IMO if you plan to go down that road again someday. Heat management is the biggest challenge in a Bus, but doable with a well thought out combo and realistic expectations.

allamaabroad wrote:
Mario's crank trigger package seems like a good deal, but I'll need to price out my DIY version to see if it's worth it.

I think I'm also good with starting out on microsquirt. I think I can be happy with full sequential ignition and partial sequential injection for a long time.

As far as budget goes, my budget could potentially be a bit higher since I plan on selling my carbs and current ignition setup, which could recoup $300-$400, but by keeping my spending low, I could convert to EFI for less than $400. I'm a college student, so there's not a ton of money for doing this, so keeping a low budget will really help.

My very first crank trigger setup years ago was just a 36-1 wheel from a Ford EDIS system (junk yard sourced), that was just hand bolted to the front of my aluminum crank pulley. I made a bracket bent from a small piece of stainless sheet metal to hold the Ford VR sensor. Not as as slick looking as all the options out there now, but it was definitely cost effective, and worked just fine. Tons of EDIS info out there in the Megasquirt forums and on STF.

Microsquirt sounds like a real good option ECU wise for what you're looking to do. I'd recommend it for sure.

Good luck with the project, and have fun with it!

67 Beetle (TBD)

clonebug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2022 7:39 am    Post subject: Re: EFI Conversion Reply with quote

Vee Dub Nut wrote:
allamaabroad wrote:

re: purpose of the super vs the bus:

I totally get that. That's why my late bay is Subaru swapped. Its the best of all worlds for me (power, reliability, cost, etc). As something that was built to be a family cruiser, its just better in every way than an aircooled engine at the same power level. Not everyones cup of tea, but highly effective.

EFI should be a good upgrade for your Bus motor, and definitely better to boost with EFI than carb IMO if you plan to go down that road again someday. Heat management is the biggest challenge in a Bus, but doable with a well thought out combo and realistic expectations.

allamaabroad wrote:

My very first crank trigger setup years ago was just a 36-1 wheel from a Ford EDIS system (junk yard sourced), that was just hand bolted to the front of my aluminum crank pulley. I made a bracket bent from a small piece of stainless sheet metal to hold the Ford VR sensor. Not as as slick looking as all the options out there now, but it was definitely cost effective, and worked just fine. Tons of EDIS info out there in the Megasquirt forums and on STF.

Microsquirt sounds like a real good option ECU wise for what you're looking to do. I'd recommend it for sure.

Good luck with the project, and have fun with it!

If I remember correctly VeeDubNut….. I think I bought that 36-1 pulley and crank trigger wheel from you way back in 2012…..I built a bracket to use the Ford Escort VR Sensor and ran it until I upgraded to a Dubshop hidden sensor and Ver. 3.0 MS 2 board eliminating the EDIS module.

I then sold it as a package deal with the Ver. 2.2 MS1, EDIS coil, wires, simple harness which made it a close to a bolt on setup.

It worked great for me and I never heard back from the buyer.
Mario’s setup is so much cleaner but it does cost a bit. It is worth every penny though.
I sent a pulley in that I already had to get the price down.
I’m at the point I would just rather pay the money on the well engineered parts like his pulley and wiring harnesses.
It makes it much easier due to a standard wire color when checking for problems.

Take a good long look in the mirror and report back on what you see.

Paul.H wrote:
That one line on that chart is probably better info than you can get from this place in a month

My Megasquirt Fuel Injection Turbo Buggy Build
Water/Alcohol Injection
Audi TT intercooler
Upgraded to MS3Pro-Evo
EcuMaster PMU16
ECUMaster ADU5 Digital Dash

http://www.shoptalkforums.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=127936
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Brian_e
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2022 8:30 am    Post subject: Re: EFI Conversion Reply with quote

I have the China 42mm throttle bodies on my efi 2333cc in my road trip bus. They took quite a while to get everything dialed in 100%, but they have been working good now.

I found the TPS off of some Land Rover to work. I have the part numbers at home, and I will update this when I get back into town. I ordered 2 and keep one as a spare. It bolted right up with some hardware from Ace.

The CB and various other air cleaner/linkage bases won’t fit. They sit to low and hit the injectors. They would need to be spaced up about 1/2” to make them fit. The bolt pattern on them is also 1/2 hole off everywhere. You will also need to make/buy some linkage arms with the D shape in them, and find a way to attach them to the shafts with a set screw. The throttle stops need to be incorporated into them also. The arms that come with the throttle bodies are almost 100% worthless.
Lots of different ways to try and overcome these issues. I ended up making new tubes with flanges to bolt to the top of the TB’s, and running 4 separate K&N filters slipped over the tubes. I also worked with Pete at SyncLink to make some new pulleys since I was using his linkage previously. He got them pretty darn close going off of texted pictures and my measurements, but they still needed some more tweaking, machining, and fine tuning. If I were to do it again, I would just use the CB throttle bodies and CB linkage. Pay the money the money and bolt it on.

For my ecm, I used microsquirt, added the 2nd MAP sensor, and the rest of the kit is from Mario. I have about 4500miles on it now. I use tuner studio, and the mega log viewer. For the most part it works pretty good, and there are tons of tuning options. Almost to many. Getting it to run right and making the VE tables and timing tables correct for the engine are easy. The start-up enrichment, the warm up cycle, and mostly the altitude compensation have all been a major PITA. I have tried all the way one way, and all the way back the other way, and I can’t seem to get the altitude comp to work. If I were to do it again, I would use a FuelTech 450 from Stef at Ace and be done. More money, but much easier all around.

All in all, I have about $3500 into my swap. 😳. I was in somewhat of a time crunch, so I just ordered the whole kit minus the TB’s from Mario. I didn’t want to spend the time engineering everything and then troubleshooting. I put the kit on, drove it about 100 miles, got the tune close, then loaded up the bus for a 3000 mile road trip.

It ran great on the trip, except I needed to continuously log and update the tune every night for the new altitude changes. It got no better MPG than my decently tuned 44mm IDF’s, power output feels the same, and the throttle response is slightly slower. It also drives me nuts that it takes 2-3 revolutions before it will light and idle. The IDF’s pop off with less than 1 revolution.

All in all....I bought it to try out and test it for possible use on customer bus engines. At this time, I won’t sell it to customers. Too much going on, and it will be over the heads of 90% of typical bus owners. It is also a royal pain in the ass to trouble shoot when you are not in the garage. A magnaspark and some carbs really only have 3-4 possible things that can go wrong, and they are all easily checked with a test light.
gorbur
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2022 8:54 am    Post subject: Re: EFI Conversion Reply with quote

Quote:
I’m on an EFI learning curve and on a budget , using a Speeduino ECU , sequential injection and LS 1 coils. It has no bells and whistles but seems to be operating OK

Very interested in any and all comments on the reliability of Speeduino (firmware).
I have an unpopulated v.03 board but no other hardware. I've installed the firmware and set up Tunerstudio. As time permit's I'm ghosting their forums and checking out the code/software nuances. Before I commit, I want to make sure it's the right fit. The plan is to convert my 1776 bug to EFI. and move the carbs (2 x HPMX) to my Ghia under repair.
The current 1776 performance is just fine. Just looking for as reliable EFI conversion as I can get.
Quite familiar with ATMega2560 and other MCU's as well as firmware and hardware integration. Really like the idea of an EFI system where I can dabble in all aspects. Timeline is a start in the first of the next year.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
slalombuggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2022 9:04 am    Post subject: Re: EFI Conversion Reply with quote

If the fuel rails have threaded ends for the barbed fittings you can easily change over to AN fittings. My entire FI fuel system is done with AN fittings and steel line although that alone cost me what your budget for you system is. I highly recommend it.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: