Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Bought my first Porsche today
Forum Index -> Porsche - 911/912/914 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
MightyFerengi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2022 8:27 pm    Post subject: Bought my first Porsche today Reply with quote

Greetings all,

I purchased a 1975 Porsche 914 1.8L today. Good shape, little rust, bad third paint job, completely disassembled. After arriving at home and inspecting the numbers, looks like I have a 1975 body with a 1974 1.8L engine (with a cracked case) and an unknown year transmission.

My dad told me that after he got back from 'Nam, he had a buddy in the Army who had a 914 with a 6 cylinder engine in it and it hauled ass. Without any extra details on that car, I see the stock HP for a 6 cylinder engine was around 110.

This is a multi-year project car with a budget of between $5000 to $6000. I'd like to rebuild this engine to get at or exceed the 110 HP mark. Replacing the engine is also feasible as I might drop this 1.8L into a Karmann Ghia later.

Thoughts? Ideas? Snide remarks?
Buggeee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2022 10:50 am    Post subject: Re: Bought my first Porsche today Reply with quote

Congratulations on the project. Throw up some pictures if you've got them, it's always fun to see what people are working on.

My experience is with beetle engines and a cracked case is generally a boat anchor, because they are magnesium. These Type 4 cases though have the reputation of lasting longer because they are aluminum. I don't know if it can be repaired because it's aluminum.

In terms of swaps, I have seen pictures of LS V8 swaps but that's madness. Maybe check out Subaru swaps, those swaps are super popular in the Bay Busses and the Vanagons because the Subaru engines are of similar dimensions as the Type 4 engines. Lots of aftermarket support for those swaps exists.
SnowDaySyncro wrote:
Every setback is an opportunity to learn stuff and to buy new tools.
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2022 10:00 am    Post subject: Re: Bought my first Porsche today Reply with quote

the body is the most important thing, so concentrate on that first. Engines are easy to build and if stock fairly inexpensive. Once you try to rebuild for higher horsepower you can spend a lot of money. Post some pictures or send me some pictures and I will look it over for you and give you my advice
Vanagonsgoslow
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2022 2:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Bought my first Porsche today Reply with quote

914 cases are pretty interchangeable between all years and displacements of 914's. That said, Jake Raby says the earlier 1.7 liter cases are the strongest in the main bearing area. Right now, the 1.7 liter cases and core engines are still the cheapest to source, since a lot of 914 people think the 1.7L engines are boat anchors. Stay away from bus engines and cases, since they are all beat to death by now and may need line boring to be usable.

You can put pistons and cylinder liners up to 2056cc in a stock case without any machine work. If you are going to use the stock cam, then you need to keep the stock Bosch Ljet FI system; otherwise you are going down a rabbit hole if you want to use dual carbs and a hotter performance cam and will spend a lot of time tuning the carbs and have to do a distributor change as well to maximize performance and driveability. You can use a "big bore" 1911cc p&c kit if you are using the stock 1.8 crank and rods. If buy a 2.0 crank and rods, you can go to a 2056cc big bore kit without any machine work to the case. The stock 1.8 liter heads will work with either the 1911cc or 2056cc big bore kits without having to be flycut for the larger liners. The Bosch Ljet FI system on a stock 1.8 can handle going to the 2056cc kit if you replace the 1.8L fuel injectors with those suitable for use in the stock 2 liter engines.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Porsche - 911/912/914 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: