Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Spin on oil filter
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2022 5:46 am    Post subject: Re: Spin on oil filter Reply with quote

Pretty hard to go back in time and check out what you had. Yes the standard grades do thicken up a lot more than multigrades. Cold starting has always been the strong point of the old air cooled VWs in my experience, once they had 12 volt systems that is.

We always switched to 20 weight oil when the temperatures got down to the freezing point - no issues at all with starting. In my experience a 10W30 pours about the same as a straight 20 weight at that temperature.

Personally I have never and I will not run any oil in any engine for 10,000 miles, I don't care how good it is, it's contaminated and the additive package went south long ago!

If you are having starting issue as warm as freezing, I would guess you have a fuel mixture deficiency for cold starting not an oil weight problem. With a properly set up and tuned air cooled VW, you shouldn't be having starting problems until you are below -30*F. At that point they start to get a bit finicky... unless you have an oil pan heater, then they start like summer time.
nextgen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2022 7:40 am    Post subject: Re: Spin on oil filter Reply with quote

The 10,000 Was only incase I could not get any oil. We had to wait hours for gas, and when and if we got to the pumps. Also odd and even days and only 10 gallons max.

I had a company car and when waiting needed to pee, we had called some on to take my place in line.

The company bought 10 Diesel Rabbits so they can use home heating oil.
LETS TALK DUBS https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=joe+cali+ghia https://letstalkdubs.libsyn.com/ep-200-joe-cali-ty...qI3xJTCzjs
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
DeathRay64
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2022 7:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Spin on oil filter Reply with quote

oprn wrote:
Again guys open up that filter and show us a picture of the sludge your filter has captured and I will be a believer. Easy to do and it will put the subject to rest for all time.

Well I'm gonna push back on this point a little. Sludge to me is thickened oil. My point is that there may be hydrocarbon chains in the oil that thicken it, causing sludge. If this is the case, the molecules captured in the filter may not be visible but may still be capable of thickening the oil causing sludge.

As an example: A little bit of flour or cornstarch will substantially thicken a gravy.
madmike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2022 5:01 am    Post subject: Re: Spin on oil filter Reply with quote

My System 1 filter has 'Mud' on the bottom plate when I clean it ,I'd say it's 'sludge' Laughing
76 Drag/Street bug 2180cc 'Turbo' 11:85 @113 mph"If I go any faster I'll burn up the Hamster" ,gets 28 mpg. also 10/09/22 11.90 @115 mph
"If I'm ever on Life Support,UNPLUG Me, Then Plug me back In see if that Works"
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2022 7:05 am    Post subject: Re: Spin on oil filter Reply with quote

There are two kinds of sludge in my experience.

The first is the milky kind that forms in cool weather and short trips. That is water contamination from the oil never getting warm enough. A paper based oil filter will soak up some but once it reaches saturation it will go through with the oil. What helps here is to make sure your thermostat and flaps are in good working condition but even that doesn't prevent it if your trips are too short. Then more frequent oil changes is the answer.

The second type is the gray/black muck that forms on the bottom of your engine. In the crankcase and tapped covers. That for the most part is carbon along with minute wear particles. This stuff is what makes your oil dark and eventually black if you leave it in there long enough. It is too fine for a full flow filter to catch and your oil additive package is designed to coat those particles and keep them in suspension until the next oil change.

If the oil is not changes soon enough the additive package becomes overwhelmed and it starts to drop out in any nook and cranny that is not washed vigorously with normal engine operation. You may find some of this that has settled out in the bottom of your filter canister but the majority of it passes right through the element looking for a quiet corner in the engine to settle. An engine who's oil is changed regular enough will have little to none of this sludge in it.

I once bought a tractor that the owner had not changed oil in 10 years, just added because it burned oil so... that is the same right? When I pulled the drain plug nothing came out! The oil pan was full of this sludge to the point that the oil pump pickup was in a trough in the sludge. I scooped and scraped about 10 pounds of this sludge out of that pan! There was also a substantial buildup under the valve cover.

The contrast to that was Dad's Bay Window Bus that had the oil changed religiously by the book and when we took it apart for the first rebuild you could have eaten off any part of the inside of that engine! It was clean clean! And... in '69 there was NO filter on those engines!
DerrickfromNC1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2023 10:20 am    Post subject: Re: Spin on oil filter Reply with quote

Anyone using Speedmaster reusable oil filter? I just ordered one $62.50.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

https://www.amazon.com/Speedmaster-PCE-PCE298-1001...amp;sr=8-3

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/sdm-pce298-1001?rrec=true

Thanks
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
madmike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2023 11:51 am    Post subject: Re: Spin on oil filter Reply with quote

'Shorty?',,looks like the 'Geers' I just picked up Very Happy
76 Drag/Street bug 2180cc 'Turbo' 11:85 @113 mph"If I go any faster I'll burn up the Hamster" ,gets 28 mpg. also 10/09/22 11.90 @115 mph
"If I'm ever on Life Support,UNPLUG Me, Then Plug me back In see if that Works"
DerrickfromNC1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2023 6:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Spin on oil filter Reply with quote

Amazon left me this!

Seems to be pretty sturdy. I have a System 1 filter that I’m going to compare it to. Unfortunately their website doesn’t have any info on how microns his filter this filter filters.

https://www.speedmaster79.com/Ford-Billet-Aluminum...ent-Magnet
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2023 6:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Spin on oil filter Reply with quote

DerrickfromNC1 wrote:
Unfortunately their website doesn’t have any info on how microns his filter this filter filters.

Canton Mecca - 8 microns

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: